Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tedo420

Downtown Area Condo Developments

27 posts in this topic

A Deal Closed Monday to buy and raze 3 old apartment complexes on Clairmont, A new 60 million dollar multiple building/ retail community will take its place. Units go for 300 to 900. The Standard midtown is getting reservations at a rapid rate, as well as the other three Highland Ave Condo towers. Some future advice don't rent an apartment in the Highland/ Forest Park area, it will likely be torn down to make way for new construction. The Lakeview area is very hot too. Lots of land buying going on and proposed condo units.

Does anyone remember about a year and a half ago the announcement that a 7 to 8 story condo building would be built in the Lakeview area. It was in the Birmingham news and I have seen the article since. I was just wondering if that is ever going to come to fuition or if the project has fallen through.

Man, Condo booms are everywhere now.

Great News for Birmingham!

An article in today's Birmingham News mentions plans to restore and convert the Massey buildings into about 10 condos. Also, the article mentioned that work on the proposed 70-unit (condos) Stonewall building would begin soon. Work on the 32-unit Gallery Lofts is finishing up and should be opened in the not too distant future.

Story: http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/....xml&coll=2

"Flexspace" Development Coming to DT

To include 6 condos/studio spaces

Article from The Birmingham News

The unique development will be on the 2300 block of 2nd Avenue North. It will be the first of its kind in downtown area.

Here are some updated figures (as of March) on a few condo developments downtown:

ATHENS FLATS: 17 of 33 units SOLD

CITY FEDERAL: 49 of 84 units SOLD

LIV ON FIFTH: 18 of 36 units SOLD

2600 HIGHLAND: Over 50% of units SOLD

BRISTOL SOUTHSIDE: Over 95% of units SOLD

Have you all seen the City Federal Building at night lately? It looks amazing with its red letters at the top and the new spot light(or whatever you want to call it) at the top of it.I was really excited to see more light in downtown.

I haven't seen that yet... if you get a chance, try to take a photo. If you can't, I'll just try to look some time. I had heard that the building would be lit up very nicely once the project was complete, so I was beginning to wonder when it would happen.

I haven't seen that yet... if you get a chance, try to take a photo. If you can't, I'll just try to look some time. I had heard that the building would be lit up very nicely once the project was complete, so I was beginning to wonder when it would happen.

Oh yeah, it looks amazing. I can't wait for each side to be lit up.

Thanks for snapping that photo. Looks great. I assume they plan to light up the whole building like that ultimately?

They must have had an open house tonight. Had spot lights running and the entire top lit up.

DSC04072.jpg

That looks amazing... can't wait to see the whole thing lit up. Yes, basically there was a big grand opening of sorts... at least for some of the condos. I know alot of high-up folks in politics and business were invited... black-tie optional, type of deal.

That looks like a fantastic project! I can't wait to see what it looks like inside. Nice pictures.

Looks like the Firestone building off 20th Street will be demolished to make room for a Publix and about 100-120 condo units. It's not final yet, but I think there's a very strong chance it will be in the near future.

Looks like the Firestone building off 20th Street will be demolished to make room for a Publix and about 100-120 condo units. It's not final yet, but I think there's a very strong chance it will be in the near future.

With the national housing market in a tailspin, condo projects in downtown Birmingham are luring buyers with incentives and lower prices. 98 units are currently available, 70 of them in three recently completed high-profile projects. More than 400 new units have come on the market in the last four years. Proposals including more than 300 units have not moved forward, as developers have put off plans until the market improves.

Status of a few high-profile projects:

Market conditions have led developers to do more rental projects, which the city center has been lacking. Apartment developments include a 250 unit project on 20th Street South that will include commercial space, and renovation of the Burger-Phillips building on 3rd Avenue North into 35 units.

Downtown Birmingham condo market slowing, but incentives, lower prices aim to draw buyers

I'm not that well-knowledge on the real estate market, but I do realize that we see to have much better condo and rental market conditions than most Southern cities including Charlotte and Nashville. It seems we are keeping a steady pace and most likely once the Railroad Park's first phase opens next summer that it will take off.

I'm not that well-knowledge on the real estate market, but I do realize that we see to have much better condo and rental market conditions than most Southern cities including Charlotte and Nashville. It seems we are keeping a steady pace and most likely once the Railroad Park's first phase opens next summer that it will take off.