Mobile Skyline

bayourat15

1) THE rsa tower @ 745

2)AMSOUTH BANK BUILDING @ 489 FT

3) Riverview plaza hotel @ 374ft now. The new crown on top ,when finshed in july ,going to give it another 80-100ft!

@ around 454-474 ft!

info found at skyscraper.com

If mayor jones doesn't hold anything up ( 2 condo projects and a new office tower) then the skies are the limit!

"DAMN the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead ", (1865)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) THE rsa tower @ 745

2)AMSOUTH BANK BUILDING @ 489 FT

3) Riverview plaza hotel @ 374ft now. The new crown on top ,when finshed in july ,going to give it another 80-100ft!

@ around 454-474 ft!

info found at skyscraper.com

If mayor jones doesn't hold anything up ( 2 condo projects and a new office tower) then the skies are the limit!

If you include empty crowns and spires, then yes.

The AmSouth Bank Building is shorter than Birmingham's Wachovia Tower. IF you include the little antenna on top, it barely edges the Wachovia Tower.

It seems as though several folks from Mobile have an obsession with tall just for the sake of being tall. I mean, heck, if Birmingham wanted to be stupid, they could have one of the tallest buildings anywhere in the south.

Just take this (454ft):

wachovia_tower.jpg

Put this on top (1,378ft):

red-mt.jpg

And you get one of the tallest buildings at the South at 1,832ft. Outrageous isn't it? Kind of like including the antenna on the AmSouth Bank Building.

I mean come on folks... no one has ever considered the AmSouth Building to be the tallest in Alabama prior to construction of the RSA Tower.

The real order currently goes like this:

1) RSA Tower (Mobile)

2) Wachovia Tower (Birmingham)

3) AmSouth-Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)

4) AmSouth Bank Building (Mobile)

5) Regions Center (Birmingham)

6) BellSouth Building (Birmingham)

I, and most others, are willing to count crowns (even if they're empty and serve no purpose except to make a building look taller). Most, however, do NOT count simple antennas on top. Seeing as how the Riverview Plaza's crown is unknown at this point, however, we can't accurately include it in the list.

If you include empty crowns and spires, then yes.

The AmSouth Bank Building is shorter than Birmingham's Wachovia Tower. IF you include the little antenna on top, it barely edges the Wachovia Tower.

It seems as though several folks from Mobile have an obsession with tall just for the sake of being tall. I mean, heck, if Birmingham wanted to be stupid, they could have one of the tallest buildings anywhere in the south.

Just take this (454ft):

wachovia_tower.jpg

Put this on top (1,378ft):

red-mt.jpg

And you get one of the tallest buildings at the South at 1,832ft. Outrageous isn't it? Kind of like including the antenna on the AmSouth Bank Building.

I mean come on folks... no one has ever considered the AmSouth Building to be the tallest in Alabama prior to construction of the RSA Tower.

The real order currently goes like this:

1) RSA Tower (Mobile)

2) Wachovia Tower (Birmingham)

3) AmSouth-Harbert Plaza (Birmingham)

4) AmSouth Bank Building (Mobile)

5) Regions Center (Birmingham)

6) BellSouth Building (Birmingham)

I, and most others, are willing to count crowns (even if they're empty and serve no purpose except to make a building look taller). Most, however, do NOT count simple antennas on top. Seeing as how the Riverview Plaza's crown is unknown at this point, however, we can't accurately include it in the list.

Plans for a crown on the river view is very much a reality and will be completed late 2007 or early 2008 and is added to compliment the RSA tower .I have even seen plans for them to add one to the amsouth bldg afer they reconstruct the outside of the bldg to mack it look more modern i'm all for reconscruction but adding a third crown to the skyline maybe over doing it or it can be a signiture for downtown Mobile who knows any way. Coming across Mobile's beatyful bay and seeing the RSA and Riverview crowned will be remarkable the whole idea is just scenic with the new I- 10 bridge wow ! one can only imagine and look forward to Mobile and Alabama's bright future.

I can't help it I love my city

Plans for a crown on the river view is very much a reality and will be completed late 2007 or early 2008 and is added to compliment the RSA tower .I have even seen plans for them to add one to the amsouth bldg afer they reconstruct the outside of the bldg to mack it look more modern i`m all for reconscruction but adding a third crown to the skyline maybe over doing it or it can be a signiture for downtown Mobile who knows any way. Coming across Mobile`s beatyful bay and seeing the RSA and Riverview crowned will be remarkable the whole idea is just scenic with the new I- 10 bridge wow ! one can only imagine and look forward to Mobile and Alabama`s bright future.

I can`t help it I love my city

I'm kind of like you. I thought the RSA Tower was too tall for Mobile initially. I've grown to like it, however. My bigger issue is with the poster claiming the AmSouth Building being taller than the Wachovia Tower... and I also have a problem with the Riverview Plaza crown, and for several reasons. First of all, I don't like people doing things simply for the sake of making it look taller... particularly when that was not part of the original design of the building. Secondly, I've seen renderings of it and it just makes the Riverview Plaza (which is currently unique-looking) look more like a mini RSA with the RSA-like crown.

As for a 600-700ft building for Birmingham in the near future. While I'd like that, I don't see it as too likely. Right now, there's alot of rehabilitation of old skyscrapers and construction of alot in the 8-18 story range, but nothing on the immediate horizon that's over 18 stories.

:thumbsup:

I'm kind of like you. I thought the RSA Tower was too tall for Mobile initially. I've grown to like it, however. My bigger issue is with the poster claiming the AmSouth Building being taller than the Wachovia Tower... and I also have a problem with the Riverview Plaza crown, and for several reasons. First of all, I don't like people doing things simply for the sake of making it look taller... particularly when that was not part of the original design of the building. Secondly, I've seen renderings of it and it just makes the Riverview Plaza (which is currently unique-looking) look more like a mini RSA with the RSA-like crown.

As for a 600-700ft building for Birmingham in the near future. While I'd like that, I don't see it as too likely. Right now, there's alot of rehabilitation of old skyscrapers and construction of alot in the 8-18 story range, but nothing on the immediate horizon that's over 18 stories.

I think the point of putting the crown on the Riverview was to make it look like the RSA tower. But yeah I dont think we have the 3 tallest just the tallest. I have also heard of Oliver building an office tower if the RSA does well (and it will be north of the RSA near Turner supply) I think it is just a rumor though. there hasn't been any talk about it in a long time. There are Historical review signs in front of the AMsouth building so they can get permits to start there renovations (or at least looks like it.)

I need someone to please explain to me the process of posting pics on this web,and I can see an A-framed roof on the amsouth also . I have heard of rumors about another tower also that is depended on the sucess of the RSA which is 80 % filled now . If they do decide to build one I woouldn't mind it being a resemble of B-hams Amsouth-Harbert Plzaa I realy like that bldg but not so dark more of like a nautical like color that would fit Mobile's riverfront downtown.

I need someone to please explain to me the process of posting pics on this web,and I can see an A-framed roof on the amsouth also . I have heard of rumors about another tower also that is depended on the sucess of the RSA which is 80 % filled now . If they do decide to build one I woouldn`t mind it being a resemble of B-hams Amsouth-Harbert Plzaa I realy like that bldg but not so dark more of like a nautical like color that would fit Mobile`s riverfront downtown.

I need someone to please explain to me the process of posting pics on this web,and I can see an A-framed roof on the amsouth also . I have heard of rumors about another tower also that is depended on the sucess of the RSA which is 80 % filled now . If they do decide to build one I woouldn't mind it being a resemble of B-hams Amsouth-Harbert Plzaa I realy like that bldg but not so dark more of like a nautical like color that would fit Mobile's riverfront downtown.

Mobile should be proud, the RSA Tower is very impressive. A bold addition to the skyline. Many years ago when driving thru Mobile I always thought AmSouth was a tall building too. But I don't think other buildings need spires just because an new land-mark tower does.

I agree with Blazer85 about tallest buildings;here's an example: Atlanta lays claim to having the "so-called" South's Tallest Building.

But Houston's Chase Tower is 1,002 ft' tall (75-stories) with flat roof is WAY TALLER than Atlanta's Bank of America Plaza. Only bec. they added a large caged-spire with an 90'ft. oblisk on top making it 1,023ft' (55-stories).

The antenna will not count. The Riverview Plaza, however, would be included. Crowns are clearly part of the building... as are spires. An antenna is not. This is not just me... that's the generally accepted rule that people go by when ranking building heights. You can disagree with me and that's fine, but most will not recognize it as such... as evidenced by the fact that the Wachovia Tower has been known as and published as the tallest building in Alabama for YEARS. The RSA Tower has changed the records. The Riverview Plaza may also change it. The AmSouth Building will have no influence on the current records.

The antenna will not count. The Riverview Plaza, however, would be included. Crowns are clearly part of the building... as are spires. An antenna is not. This is not just me... that's the generally accepted rule that people go by when ranking building heights. You can disagree with me and that's fine, but most will not recognize it as such... as evidenced by the fact that the Wachovia Tower has been known as and published as the tallest building in Alabama for YEARS. The RSA Tower has changed the records. The Riverview Plaza may also change it. The AmSouth Building will have no influence on the current records.

Archived