Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeeper12

Gateway Blvd. becomes Korean War Veterans Blvd.

18 posts in this topic

I haven't seen it reported yet but I saw the council vote to rename Gateway at this week's meeting. With all due respect to all our fine veterans this has to be one of the most idiotic things passed by the council this year. Street names matter bigtime to developers and their customers. What new residents or Class A office tenants are going to be excited about swapping out Gateway for that new mouthful ? Frankly, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how something like this could pass so easily with almost no debate. Hope our mayor was doing something productive over in China when this thing sailed through.

and sadly I'll still call it Gateway...just like I still call it the coliseum...and just like I still call it the nashville arena, of course now I'm right again with that one haha...

name changes are stupid, and I agree this is an unecessary mouthful. I have no problem with naming the bridge or something like that, but that certainly seemed like an appropriate name for the street and I am disappointed this passed with such ease

this is just plain ridiculous.

"so you take a left on demonbreun, a right on 3rd and then a left on Korean war veterans boulevard"

just doesn't have a nice ring to it, ya know?

I guess we could just use cool abbrevispeak:

"Take a left on the D, right on 3rd and a left on the KWV."

I can see the glazed over tourist eyes now.

I guess we could just use cool abbrevispeak:

"Take a left on the D, right on 3rd and a left on the KWV."

I can see the glazed over tourist eyes now.

although i agree with you guys that it is a mouthful, i doubt this would make a good public debate. it's a very touchy subject and i bet you would be hard pressed to find any journalist/politician that would stick their neck out on this one.

jeeper, i agree with you that this is pretty much irreversible.

edit: personally, i would have loved the street to be named.....Shelby St.

I remember that they had discussed not giving it the mouthful of a name and just renaming the bridge itself and letting the road stay....but I guess that just made too much sense! While I was never crazy about 'Gateway,' (I felt like it was just too ubiquitous) I think it's better than 'Korean War Veterans Blvd' which is just a pain to say. Our wonderful politicians at work...

Of all the streets they could have picked to rename, why did they choose this one? You can't even shorten it. KWVB...I don't know how you'd say that.

That's a mouthful to say.

I agree, renaming the bridge, not the street, would be a much more sensible idea. Or maybe they could build a small park dedicated to the veterans on a portion of the land originally slated for the Sounds' stadium... Struever Bros. did say that the new plan would have a public amenity, right?

Are you guys blowing this out of proportion?

I always though "Gateway" was too contrived. Gateway to what? South Nashville? A more useful/generic name like "Bridge Street" would have been more descriptive and less trendy in my opinion. "Gateway" sounds like a suburban shopping center. "Come on down to Fancy Burrito, in the Gateway Center".

When Giving directions I will just refer to it as "Korean Boulevard". "Take a right on third, left on Korean..." Now if we can just get some good Korean restaurants on that street we'll be set!

Seriously, how do other cities handle "Martin Luker King Blvd"...They seem to have no problem. People just say MLK... I don't see why someone would say "KWVB" when they could just say "Korean", "Korean War" or "Korean Veterans". I think it looks like a pretty prestegious address... a lot more meaninful than the brentwood-worthy name "Gateway".

Gateway and Korean War Veterans Memorial Boulevard are both bad names for a major new street. I wish it had remained Franklin Street or Shelby Street.

I always though "Gateway" was too contrived. Gateway to what? South Nashville? A more useful/generic name like "Bridge Street" would have been more descriptive and less trendy in my opinion. "Gateway" sounds like a suburban shopping center. "Come on down to Fancy Burrito, in the Gateway Center".

When Giving directions I will just refer to it as "Korean Boulevard". "Take a right on third, left on Korean..." Now if we can just get some good Korean restaurants on that street we'll be set!

Seriously, how do other cities handle "Martin Luker King Blvd"...They seem to have no problem. People just say MLK... I don't see why someone would say "KWVB" when they could just say "Korean", "Korean War" or "Korean Veterans". I think it looks like a pretty prestegious address... a lot more meaninful than the brentwood-worthy name "Gateway".

Often, what happens in a case like this one is that the name becomes abbreviated in usage to "Veterans Blvd.".

Will this be the official name, or just a nickname sort of thing?

i will call it gateway.. just like the coliseum or the arena.

HELLO?! it looks like the the arch (the gateway to the west!!)

and yes.. it is actually the gateway to south nashville :P especially if you are getting off of the interstate :)