Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

perimeter285

Snow in April?

10 posts in this topic

Sorry guys I know this has nothing to do with urban development, but I just have to document that it's April 7 at 1AM and it's SNOWING in Midtown. Global warming may be a real thing, but I cannot ever remember seeing snow in April in Atlanta.

So neat!!

It snowed all over InTown Atlanta last night. Pretty hard too, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) it only lasted for about 20 minutes.

Just an FYI, but the mountains picked up over a foot in some lacations on the NC/TN border. It is kind of amazing since we are already in mid-April! :shok:

A2

I learned it snowed last night/early this morning in the Triad area of NC, but I didn't know it was snowing in Atlanta as well. That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of--snowing in April in the South.

It has happened before there was a major snowfall that occured across Tennessee, North Alabama, and North Georgia Mountains back in April 1987. Where Birmingham accumlated as much as 5'', and Nashville had gotten nearly a foot. It is more or like a cycle where it occurs every 20 years.

Just an FYI, but the mountains picked up over a foot in some lacations on the NC/TN border. It is kind of amazing since we are already in mid-April! :shok:

A2

I remember back in '86, around the middle of April, it snowed about an inch in Atlanta. I think the next day, the temperature was back in the 60's.

I'm sure many of you, who were old enough or here at the time, remember Atlanta getting substantial snowfall in early March '93. On Thursday, it was about 80 degrees, on Friday, the temps fell and there were thunderstorms with fierce lightning and early Saturday, it started snowing and it snowed (eventually up to 18 inches in some areas) through the weekend. Some of the eeriest points about this snowstorm, was the thunder and lightning and odd greenish-gray sky.

I remember back in '86, around the middle of April, it snowed about an inch in Atlanta. I think the next day, the temperature was back in the 60's.

I'm sure many of you, who were old enough or here at the time, remember Atlanta getting substantial snowfall in early March '93. On Thursday, it was about 80 degrees, on Friday, the temps fell and there were thunderstorms with fierce lightning and early Saturday, it started snowing and it snowed (eventually up to 18 inches in some areas) through the weekend. Some of the eeriest points about this snowstorm, was the thunder and lightning and odd greenish-gray sky.

Until now, mid March used to be prime snow time in North Alabama. But, that's changed lately. We knew things were starting to get weird when Dauphin Island got more snow in 05' than Huntsville, Decatur, and Florence did...