Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oliver

Good Bye Worcester

14 posts in this topic

Ever since a nice job opportunity brought me to the Worcester area about six years ago, I was wondering if Worcester is indeed the ugliest and least desirable place to live in. The fact that I am from Europe and used to lively and walkable downtown areas of course did not help either. But I am certainly not by myself with my opinion about this ugly, depressed town, which calls itself city. Everybody I got to know who moved here either already moved away or is planning to do so. Everybody I met who grew up here defends it with

I'm sorry you didn't find Worcester appealing. Slamming the door as you leave Worcester with a loud parting shot isn't exactly sporting- especially on these boards. I suspect that you may leave behind a few here who do care about their city. Worcester's downtown is a jewel in the rough, just waiting to be rediscovered. A few blocks of revitalization is, at the very least, a beginning. Cities have their problems, and discussing them is appropriate, I'm just sad to see that you are using the playbook of another disgruntled member who is leaving another prominent city. I am far from suggesting that these boards should be filled with nothing but the bantering babble of boosterism, but it's unfortunate to see that Worcester has left such a negative impression with you. I haven't been there in a few years, but I seem to recall a large stock of late 1th century/early 20th century buildings which could indeed be restored to good effect. I wish you the best of luck in your metropolis, wherever it may be.

Tombarnes, maybe my words were a bit harsh and I agree that criticism on these sites should be constructive. I disagree with your

Well Oliver, I wish you good luck where ever you may end up. Yes, Worcester is not what most people would consider a desirable place. But for many of the people who live here, it is exactly what they wanted - a comfortable, casual, broken in place - nothing flashy, nothing too stuffy or too fancy, and yet something that feels like home. Maybe the problem is that Worcester is not a city for us urban type of people - it's functional and cheap. It has a huge ethnic population - many people who are a little more concerned with basic survival and getting by. The seeds ARE there, even if you never see them come up. Perhaps some day.

Good luck!

P.S. Where are you off to?

Cloudship, absolutely right, everybody has different agendas about the ideal place to live. I have friends who hate city living and would never live in one. Not my cup of tea, but everybody has to find the lifestyle he/she is comfortable with. In this there is no right or wrong, just different ideas about living.

I am off to Mexico City, the ultimate megalopolis; certainly a very controversial city as well. Lots of crime and pollution, but it certainly couldn't get any more urban. I'll move in June and will start posting in the Mexico section. Mexico City for sure has some ugly sides, but also very beautiful and urban parts to live in.

Worcester is an old factory city from the 19th and first half of the 20th centuries. In the 21st century, with the decline of industrial economic power, Worcester is going to have to find some way to redefine itself. As biotech and other companies expand outward from 128 and 495 corridors, Worcester can likely be seen as a cheaper and better alternative.

Maybe I'm just biased because I was born in Worcester and spent much of my life living in the shadows of the place. But, it does have some purpose today. While it may seem rather old, dark, and dirty, nobody that lives in and enjoys Worcester is going to deny it.

CitySquare, if successful, will be the start of a turn around for Worcester. Baby steps will be great. After all, Worcester can't turn into the next White Plains overnight.

Uh oh Oliver! Looks like we made the news!

Worcester Magazine printed our posts in the Slants and Rants section. Well, at least it is good to know someone is paying attention to what we say!

Got a link or photo or something?

Uh oh Oliver! Looks like we made the news!

Worcester Magazine printed our posts in the Slants and Rants section. Well, at least it is good to know someone is paying attention to what we say!

OK. As you have to look at life from the bright side, following the things I really enjoyed about Worcester:

- The Worcester Art Museum (www.worcesterart.org). Fantastic selection for a small city with a few impressive pieces (Duerer, El Greco, Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cezanne); perfect place to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon

- The Worcester Library

What is completely missing are bookstores, nice coffee houses, alternative theaters / movie theaters, any kind of nightlife if you are above 25, nice places that offer outside seating, shopping, any kind of attractive pedestrian area.

We really need to clean up Main Street, get a nightlife area around there. Pedestrian area too. Most people, even those under 25, avoid Worcester like the plague and head for Boston or PVD. You got to be pretty broke, desperate, or high school to be clubbing or barhopping in Worcester.

Too bad Tatnuck closed. In the meanwhile, there's always that Barnes and Noble at Blackstone Valley :mellow: And didn't Bijou close down a few years back?

The Bookstore is one of the biggest losses if you ask me. I would love to see one open up near the north end of Main Street. Is the Fabulous Fiction bookstore still around?

There are a couple of little places here and there - Java Hut in Webster Square, the Corner Grill on the corner of Richmond and Pleasant, the Ben FRanklin bookstore downtown.