Renaissance at Durham Centre

Atlside

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will still be suprised if this actually gets build. It seems like it would be smarter to build a mixed use tower with some residential and some office space. That would be easier to fill than an entire building with residential. I don't believe there is enough demand for it.

Mixed use would seem to make more sense. I don't know how feasible it is, but I wish part of the ground level of the parking garage (along Morgan) could be converted into shops or restaurants. It would bring some street level activity to the street. Wouldn't that rekindle more interest in the whole facility?

I saw that ad this morning too. I thought (and hoped) the project was dead. I'd hate to see a clone of that disgusting tower looming over the city. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: This Wittenberg guy has nothing but bad ideas.

And I wouldn't count on any construction happening there soon. The city is planning repairs on the western side of the deck (sagging concrete slabs- some of it is fenced off) and it also considering fixing up the "plaza" on top (though not until probably 2009).

1) The Durham Centre sits over an exposed parking deck (who thought *that* was a good idea?) which contains footings for the buildings as designed, including the twin tower concept. Not sure how feasible it would be to do anything but a twin for the building... but IANAA (I am not an architect :)

• 2 months later...

I think it's pretty clear that the key to making Durham Centre attractive to tenants lies at the ground level. Craig Davis will definitely do some renovation and upgrades on the interior of the building, but without some ground level component, I think this tower will continue to fall flat.

But before we get too excited about the potential for Craig Davis to turn the parking deck into something more street-friendly, we have to remember that the parking deck is actually owned by the city. Anything that happens, has to go through them. (Unless they sell the deck to Craig Davis)

Archived