American Byways

seicer

So I have this obsession with taking the back roads to my destinations. Finding unique places. Locating those out-of-the-way nature preserves. And photographing and writing about it. American Byways is that project of mine that I would like to share. As the slogan states on the main page, choose your destination. I'd like to start with the...

Sally Brown and Crutcher Nature Preserves

The Sally Brown and Crutcher Nature Preserves were created to protect the stunning diversity within the Kentucky River Palisades. The two adjoining preserves, totaling 800 acres on Bowmans Bend of the river, are owned by the Nature Conservancy and are open to the public. Besides the unique flora that is unique to only the Kentucky River Palisades, there are numerous species of animals and reptiles, such as the Bobcat and the Northern Fence Lizard, that make this a truly unique place.

There are numerous photographs uploaded that show some of the early wildflowers that I had a chance to see, and text with a new design I am tinkering with. The customized page is an experiment that I have become fond of, and will apply it to other pages in the future.

Look for more updates in the upcoming days! Here are a few teaser pics --

3_86_675.jpg

3_86_186.jpg

3_86_21.jpg

3_86_403.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

The Charleston, South Carolina region boasts many great treasures. From the Patriot's Point Naval & Maritime Museum (described below) to its many museums, art galleries, fine restaurants, and spectacular architecture and scenery, the "Holy City" boasts something for everyone. Of course, this is leading to a new community guide regarding Charleston itself, featuring a brief writeup on the area's attractions that should give you a glimpse into the area's rich history. If military history is more of your interest, Fort Moultrie is on nearby Sullivan's Island. The series of forts were constructed to protect the city of Charles Town; the first fort, constructed of palmetto logs, was the inspiration of the flag and current nickname, Palmetto State. Two lighthouses are also fairly close to Charleston; Morris Island Lighthouse was first lighthouse constructed before the American independence under the authority of King George III, this now-stranded structure stands literally in the ocean, a victim of dredging and erosion. The New Charleston Lighthouse is located on Sullivan's Island and was the second-to-last lighthouse built in the United States.

Charleston, South Carolina:

1. Established in 1680, St. Philip's is the oldest Anglican congregation south of Virginia.

full_3_1617.jpg

2. St. Philip's

full_3_572.jpg

3. The Old Powder Magazine is the only public building remaining from the era of the Lords Proprietors, the eight English aristocrats who owned Carolina from 1670 to 1719. Charles Town was then the capital and southernmost English settlement on the North American continent, and was attacked repeatedly by pirates, Spanish naval vessels, and Indians. THe Powder Magazine was the primary storehouse of munitions and gunpowder, and was crucial for the defense of the city.

full_3_1510.jpg

4. Hibernian Hall, a National Historic Landmark, was built in 1840 to provide a meeting place for the Hibernian Society, an Irish benevolent organization founded in 1801. The The Hibernian Society continues to meet regularly inside the building today.

full_3_1372.jpg

full_3_512.jpg

6. The building ahead is Market Hall, constructed in 1841. Since 1898, the Daughters of the Confederacy has operated the Confederate Museum, which contains flags, uniforms, swords and other Confederate memorabilia, on the upper floor. The lower level contains a great number of shops.

full_3_2645.jpg

7. Located on Sullivan's Island, just outside of Charleston and adjacent to Fort Moultrie, the Stella Maris Roman Catholic Church welcomes all visitors. It is the second oldest Catholic church on the island.

full_3_2538.jpg

(more to be posted)

Morris Island Lighthouse: he first lighthouse constructed before the American independence under the authority of King George III, this now-stranded structure stands literally in the ocean, a victim of dredging and erosion.

1. Sorry, I wasn't about to wade all the way out there :P

3_62_795.jpg

Fort Moultrie: The name of a series of forts on Sullivan's Island, they were constructed to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, constructed of palmetto logs, was the inspiration of the flag and current nickname, Palmetto State.

2. The War of 1812 saw Fort Moultrie III armed with 12-, 18-, and 24-pounder smoothbore cannons on garrison carriages that were designed to fire through embrasures in the parapet walls. They were used primarily from 1809 to 1860.

full_3_70.jpg

3. These were one of two rapid-fire batteries, part of the Endicott installations that protected Charleston from the Spanish American War until World War II began. The system combined heavy coast artillery, minefields, and rapid-fire guns. They were used from 1898 to 1939.

full_3_1697.jpg

New Charleston Lighthouse

4. Constructed in 1962, the new Charleston Lighthouse continues to guide mariners into the Charleston Harbor. It is the second-to-last lighthouse constructed in the United States.

full_3_2181.jpg

Patriot's Point Naval & Maritime Museum: Located just outside of the historic port city of Charleston, Patriot's Point offers three magnificent museum ships: the USS Yorktown, an aircraft carrier, the USCGC Ingham, a Coast Guard cutter, the USS Laffey, a destroyer, and the USS Clamagore, a submarine. It is also home to the Medal of Honor Museum, 25 naval aircraft, patrol boats and helicopters.

5. USS Yorktown

full_3_2505.jpg

6. USS Glamagore

full_3_1621.jpg

Enjoy! I would have more photographs from every place else, but it was 100F+ every day and 80F+ at night, and the humidity was over 80%. Of course, we chose to go down during the record heat wave. We went to the USS Yorktown/Clamagore very early in the day, but it was virtually unbearable inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Kentucky Horse Park

The Kentucky Horse Park is a sprawling 1,200-acre equestrian theme park and competition facility set amongst the dry-laid rock and wood-planked fences of the famed Bluegrass State. The center is home to around 50 different breeds of both large and small horses, along with some mules, and visitors are allowed to experience every bit of a real working farm. Throughout the year, live presentations, competitions, horse shows and miscellaneous events are held.

full_3_426.jpg

It is also home to the National Horse Center, a collection of more than thirty national, state and regional equine organizations and associations. Ranging from the American Association of Equine Practitioners to the United States Polo Association, the centralized collation represents a varied number of subjects.

full_3_2539.jpg

The horse park will also be home to the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games 2010, and will be the largest equine sporting event ever held in the United States. Held on the grounds of the facility from September 25 to October 10, 2010, this will mark the first time the event will be held outside of Europe.

full_3_946.jpg

full_3_1645.jpg

full_3_2399.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Camp Nelson

The original camp was sprawled out over 4,000 acres and included approximately 300 structures and fortifications. Used by the Union Army as a base of operations, it was an ideal location as it was on the border of the Kentucky River Palisades -- a viable natural defense-- and eight large earthen fortifications. It was also one of the largest recruitment camps for the United States Colored Troops,hosting eight regiments at Camp Nelson and training three others fro mother locales. This designation made it the largest African-American recruitment camp in the commonwealth and the third largest in the nation.

A skirmish re-enactment is held annually in September that comes complete with authentic demonstrations, camp scenarios, period music,artisans, historical presentations and of course, a re-enactment of the skirmish.

full_3_1449.jpg

2. Skirmish

full_3_151.jpg

Fort Boonesborough

American Byways explores the frontiers and back roads of Kentucky, starting with Fort Boonesborough, a frontier fort in Kentucke founded by Daniel Boone and his traveling party of settlers after they crossed the Kentucky River on April 1, 1775. The settlement was known as Boonesborough, and is Kentucky's second oldest American settlement.

3. Yeah, this would have given me nightmares in the 1700s!

full_3_872.jpg

4. I don't believe these were used in the actual battle (or in the fort period). This was used just for a demonstration.

full_3_1472.jpg

full_3_2934.jpg

Waveland State Historic Site

Named for the acres of grain and hemp that once waved in the breeze, this former plantation features an 1847 Greek revival home as its centerpiece. I will go inside for a tour one day.

full_3_2884.jpg

full_3_853.jpg

Bluegrass Railroad Museum

Located in historic Versailles, Kentucky, the Bluegrass Railroad Museum includes weekend train rides, several notable events throughout the year, restored cars and locomotives and indoor displays in the museum.

full_3_2458.jpg

9. When things were proudly made in America.

full_3_2365.jpg

full_3_1493.jpg

Also added photographs regarding the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church and the New Union Christian Church along Old Frankfort Pike in Kentucky.

11. Mt. Vernon Baptist Church, dating back to 1822.

full_3_2596.jpg

12. New Union Christian Church

full_3_894.jpg

That was basically a wrap up of many late-summer events and journeys. Enjoy!

Thanks for posting - some really great photos.

I need to start travelling with a camera; I love backroads, and I have a number of fave routes, which I haven't really personally documented yet:

1. Boone to Asheville NC. There are sevral combinations of route that can be taken (apart from the BR Pkwy), which offer glimpses of Granfather Mountain, various ski areas, the descent of N. Fork Catawba Gorge (US 221, no so spectacular since the highway was widenend), or the US 19 route through Spruce Pine, which bypasses the north slope of Mt Mitchell, before descending into the river valley N of Asheville.

2. Waynesville to Brevard NC; NC 218 - narrow, steep and winding, traversing the Shining Rock wilderness for some 30 miles. There's about a 4000' rise and fall along the trip, through some very dense evergreen forest and numerous waterfalls visible from the road.

3. Benson to Charlotte; NC 27/24-27/24 - One of the drives that makes one realize how gorgeous the rolling terrain of central NC can be, away from the sprawlier cities. Very hilly, mostly very heavily forested - hardwoods in the Uwharrie Nat'l Forest, mostly big expanses of pine in the Sandhills. Driving the route from E to W, there's a dramatic view going over the Pee Dee River between Troy and Albemarle. Given the sprawl of some of the nearby cities, having a sizable chunk of scenery sitting right in the center of the state is ever-more important.

4. Jacksonville NC to Chesapeake VA; US 17 - Apart from the obvious attraction of the coast, E NC likewise gets less comment than it should on its' natural beauty. A (long) drive up 17 is equally divided between some very charming towns, and striking stretches of wetlands, small blackwater rivers, and dramatic estuary crossings. For everyone rooting for an economic comeback in E NC, I would hope that this scenery figures into that comeback in a prominent way - good development in E NC is a must, but - given the delicacy of parts of the region - trashing it up would be a rreal tragedy.

Archived