Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GvilleSC

The Upstate's Water

13 posts in this topic

Growing Demand May Tap Lakes

As Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Lowcountry all want some. Who should get some, if anyone? What are your thoughts on tapping into the beautiful lakes?

What happens upstream affects what happens downstream...

Most of the growth is expected at the two ends of the Basin, the Upstate and the coast.

Charlotte does not get its water from any of the river basins having to do with the Upstate of SC, and I would doubt that it would ever need any from there. It has plenty of water coming from the NC mountains via the Catawba river basin and the city is surrounded by lakes Norman, Mt Island, and Wylie.

Whoever wrote that article did not do their homework.

It lists Keowee as a souce of Greenville water. Where else does Greenville get its water? I was thinking that someone draws from the Table Rock Resevoir...?

But Greenville's inter-basin transfer opens the argument for an inter-basin transfer to Atlanta, Eidson said.

It lists Keowee as a souce of Greenville water. Where else does Greenville get its water? I was thinking that someone draws from the Table Rock Resevoir...?

Also, does anyone think that Greenville's drawing from Keowee make a case for Atlanta to draw from the basin?

I was under the impression that Greenville's Watershed properties supply far exceeded the demand for any forseeable future, and that Greenville does not draw from the Savannah River basin at all.

And Metro, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Lake Wylie mostly in SC? I think that might have been what the article was talking about. I don't think Charlotte will need to pump water from the Savannah River Basin.

^I see

I was under the impression that Greenville's Watershed properties supply far exceeded the demand for any forseeable future, and that Greenville does not draw from the Savannah River basin at all.

If I remember correctly, I read something in the paper somewhat recently about the cities of (I think) Kannapolis and Concord wanting to take more water out of a river, and how it would affect the inputs into Lake Wateree. I recall that Sanford was considering suing the state of North Carolina, I'm not sure.

Thats the Catawba River. I don't think I've heard about this one.

If I remember correctly, I read something in the paper somewhat recently about the cities of (I think) Kannapolis and Concord wanting to take more water out of a river, and how it would affect the inputs into Lake Wateree. I recall that Sanford was considering suing the state of North Carolina, I'm not sure.

^I see

Gville does have far more water supply than demand because Jocassee is huge (very deep). But the Keowee and Seneca Rivers feed Lake Hartwell and are most definitely in the Savannah River Basin.

Here's a related article from The State about how the state needs to better manage its water resources.

It looks like water will soon become the new oil, if you get my drift.