Dothan Developments

Southron

• 1 month later...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Dothan Economic Development groups aware that there are two competing suggestions/proposals to extend I-185 from Columbus? An Albany, GA group seeks to have it extended southeast through Albany. Others in Columbus think it should be extended south thru Dothan to I-10, maybe further. Click to read more....

I-81.jpg

The Dothan city commission voted to appropriate another $400,000 for the redevelopment of downtown Dothan, and the Dothan Downtown Redevelopment Authority (DDRA) will use the funds for renovations of building facades on North Foster Street. Plans call for a mix of retail, restaurant, commercial office space, and residential uses for the buildings.

The DDRA will probably go to court to gain ownership of two buildings at 161 and 171 N. Foster St. The DDRA already owns the building between the two and plans a $1.4 conversion of the three into ground floor retail space with residential units upstairs.

Nice to see downtown revitalization in Dothan continuing to move forward.

Dothan City Commission Approves Funding for Downtown Redevelopment Authority

DDRA looks to courts for help acquiring Foster Street buildings

The Dothan city commission voted to appropriate another $400,000 for the redevelopment of downtown Dothan, and the Dothan Downtown Redevelopment Authority (DDRA) will use the funds for renovations of building facades on North Foster Street. Plans call for a mix of retail, restaurant, commercial office space, and residential uses for the buildings.

The DDRA will probably go to court to gain ownership of two buildings at 161 and 171 N. Foster St. The DDRA already owns the building between the two and plans a $1.4 conversion of the three into ground floor retail space with residential units upstairs.

Nice to see downtown revitalization in Dothan continuing to move forward.

Dothan City Commission Approves Funding for Downtown Redevelopment Authority

DDRA looks to courts for help acquiring Foster Street buildings

From what I've seen when driving through downtown Dothan, which hasn't been much, but what I'VE SEEN, it needs some help. It had it's nice points, but it could use some help. Though I don't think that $400,000 can do TOO terribly much, but it's a start.

I agree, man, it needs a lot of help. Tear-downs during the urban renewal area devastated downtown Dothan. I assume you drove through along US 231 (Oates St.). You really don't get the feeling that you're in a downtown in that corridor, even though you go right past the county courthouse. N. Foster St. is one block to the east and it has real urban character, but downtown needs a lot of infill after the historic buildings are renovated. According to one of the articles above, the DDRA will focus on some W. Main St. (US 84) properties after their projects along N. Foster St.

Google map

• 7 months later...

Over the past few weeks, WSFA-TV ran several stories over the about the resurgence of downtown Dothan. Twenty-two new businesses have opened in the downtown area in the last eight months. Seven new restaurants are in the works, including a new Italian restaurant highlighted in one of the links below.

Renovations are underway on a number of North Foster Street buildings, and some of those projects will be completed within about four months.

Downtown Dothan Experiencing Economic Growth

Downtown Restaurant Opening Soon (with video)

Downtown Dothan is Back

The Downtown Group, a downtown redevelopment organization similar in mission to the old Main Street Mobile, has a website up now. The site includes copies of some recent Dothan Magazine articles about downtown revitalization. There's more going on than I had imagined.

Links:

The Downtown Group

Dothan Magazine articles

The Downtown Group's latest newsletter included this image of some proposed downtown facade improvements.

FosterSt_facades.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Movie Gallery moved its headquarters to Oregon and the old corporate HQ in Dothan is now for sale. The company filed for bankruptcy last year, and struggled with debt since acquiring Hollywood Video in 2005. Too bad Dothan lost a corporate HQ, but the company probably won't be around much longer anyway.

Movie Gallery Almost Gone From Founding City of Dothan

Movie Gallery moved its headquarters to Oregon and the old corporate HQ in Dothan is now for sale. The company filed for bankruptcy last year, and struggled with debt since acquiring Hollywood Video in 2005. Too bad Dothan lost a corporate HQ, but the company probably won't be around much longer anyway.

Movie Gallery Almost Gone From Founding City of Dothan

• 1 month later...

I no this is going to be a stupid question and I no my question is going to be off the subject that yaw are talking about.But my question is about the terrain and ground in dothan alabama my question is does dothan have any hills or any small hills in dothan or is dothan all flat land. The reason why im asking is because I will be moving to dothan alabama this summer from phenix city alabama but the reason why im asking about dothans terrain and ground is because I love to ride my bike down hills and we have small to median size hills here in phenix city alabama that I love riding my bike down. And im going to miss riding my bike down the hills or hill in phenix city alabama when we move to dothan alabama this summer. i have noticed also once you go further south from phenix city like to barbour county where eufaula is it seems like the terrain and ground starts to flatten out and gets flat and i no that dothan is a little far south from eufaula and i no that dothan is not far from the florida state line. so i was wondering does dothan have any small hills or any hills that i can ride my bike down.

does dothan have any hills or any small hills in dothan or is dothan all flat land.... i have noticed also once you go further south from phenix city like to barbour county where eufaula is it seems like the terrain and ground starts to flatten out and gets flat and i no that dothan is a little far south from eufaula and i no that dothan is not far from the florida state line. so i was wondering does dothan have any small hills or any hills that i can ride my bike down.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...