The Gateway Site

gs3

They showed renderings at City Hall last night.

Big tower-like structures on the corners.

One difference from last plan, though.

Not included is the former Canal Insurance property behind where Memorial Auditorium was.

What did you think of the renderings?  Not including Canal is not a good thing, IMO. 

What did you think of the renderings? Not including Canal is not a good thing, IMO.

Agreed. That portion of the site will never get developed if it's not done in association with this. It will be cut off for all practical purposes. Another few years sitting empty won't be the end of the world if it equates to a viable and appropriate development down the road for the ENTIRE block. I'm not convinced that this proposal is the answer.

Edited by GvilleSC

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/charlotte-developer-scopes-memorial-auditorium-site/

This sounds promising:

The project would also include two levels of subterranean garage parking. A large amenity or retail space would be located at the corner of East North Street and Beattie Place and could include a little café or smoothie bar, said Kovacocy.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2015/APRIL/DesignReviewBoard/04-02-2015/CA-15-160-400NorthChurchStreet.pdf

^^ The correct pdf.  Looks better than the rendering that was out last week.  I wish it included the Canal properties.  Otherwise, I can live with it.     

Looks good, hope it goes through.  

If I had my "druthers"  it would have a more variable roof line.   Instead of all 5 stories they could go 3, 5, and 7 stories with the same footprint and capacity.    It would be more interesting visually.  Probably cost  more to build though.

• Like 1

Yes, the design is boring, but seriously, how is this different from a lot of the other new buildings being put up? Isn't anyone else getting tired of the same unimaginative, boring, boxy style that architects keep churning out everywhere? It would be nice to see this one actually happen, only to fill the vacant lot sitting there for years, but that is pretty sad to want something built, only because it's better than nothing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the site sit for a while longer if it meant we could a see a project that would take up the entire block. Sitting empty hasn't diminished our downtown's ability to function well-- what's a few more years going to hurt?. Something would be great, but something great would be better...

Edited by GvilleSC

• 1 month later...

An article in the Greenville News this morning says the apartment project is moving forward. I guess the vision of something "spectacular" for this site is dead. I guess the attitude now is just put something there since it has been so long. I know the site has limitations but just another apartment complex for this site somehow seems disappointing. I guess the site should no longer be called the Gateway site because now it certainly won't be.

An article in the Greenville News this morning says the apartment project is moving forward. I guess the vision of something "spectacular" for this site is dead. I guess the attitude now is just put something there since it has been so long. I know the site has limitations but just another apartment complex for this site somehow seems disappointing. I guess the site should no longer be called the Gateway site because now it certainly won't be.

Unfortunately it fell to a similar fate as the Main at Elford site and now two more prominent pieces of downtown real estate are no longer available for quality development. If you are young, then you or your children may be fortunate enough to see the day when these sites will be properly redeveloped.

In regards to "the Gateway to Greenville," the city should have initiated a well-organized search for a comprehensive plan that would have created an iconic entrance into downtown.

Until I see steel rising up from the ground, I won't believe it.  

The most recent design looks pretty good, IMO. I realize this is a high profile site, but it is also VERY challenging as well.  My biggest disappointment is the two other buildings in that triangle will be staying.  

My dream for that site was either the County Square replacement or a new city hall, or both.