The Gateway Site

gs3

On March 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM, chuckyvt said:

One issue to a park, per one of the project applications, this site still has the concrete slab from the auditorium.   I'm sure you can improve on what's there, but not sure how.much greenery you can add.  

Appears to be a lost cause for an attractive development that is appealing as a 'gateway'.

Edited by cabelagent

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Site is now for sale through CBRE. Signage went up today.

Thx...who is CBRE? Somehow the city should spruce it up to make it attractive...or something. Wonder if one of those developers working on county square property might help (for a nominal fee) with some Ideas ....anything!

21 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Thx...who is CBRE? Somehow the city should spruce it up to make it attractive...or something. Wonder if one of those developers working on county square property might help (for a nominal fee) with some Ideas ....anything!

A commercial real estate agency: http://www.cbre.us/o/greenville/Pages/greenville-commercial-real-estate.aspx

• 1 month later...
From the GNews:
"The green, plywood barricades still wall off the property as signs have gone back up announcing, yet again, the availability of one of Greenville’s most-vexing stretches of urban land.
There's a new buyer for the former site of the Greenville Memorial Auditorium — a triangular piece of property where the end of Interstate 385 abruptly meets the city’s downtown.
But, after years of city leaders hoping for development on a scale that matches the importance of the property as the city’s key but oddly situated gateway, the future remains uncertain.
“We have reached an agreement with a prospective and undisclosed buyer for the subject property,” Marty Navarro, president of Greenville-based NRE Property Group, told The Greenville News. “They are currently evaluating the site for the highest and best use.”

Not much information. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On April 25, 2017 at 9:41 PM, Jet-set said:
From the GNews:
"The green, plywood barricades still wall off the property as signs have gone back up announcing, yet again, the availability of one of Greenville’s most-vexing stretches of urban land.
There's a new buyer for the former site of the Greenville Memorial Auditorium — a triangular piece of property where the end of Interstate 385 abruptly meets the city’s downtown.
But, after years of city leaders hoping for development on a scale that matches the importance of the property as the city’s key but oddly situated gateway, the future remains uncertain.
“We have reached an agreement with a prospective and undisclosed buyer for the subject property,” Marty Navarro, president of Greenville-based NRE Property Group, told The Greenville News. “They are currently evaluating the site for the highest and best use.”

Not much information. 

This must have fallen through...as others have. 

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, apaladin said:

I don't see the city approving a Day's Inn, but after 20+ years it's almost like something is better than nothing. How many times have projects failed to materialize on this site? At least a half-dozen?

I still don’t know how no one can make this work. Great location that will get better with time, would work great for a high rise since it’s not on Main Street or near residences. It would have views of the mountains, etc. 

2 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I still don’t know how no one can make this work. Great location that will get better with time, would work great for a high rise since it’s not on Main Street or near residences. It would have views of the mountains, etc. 

One word: Access. One Way streets on two sides, a short block, high traffic 2-way highway on the third side. Very Pedetrian unfriendly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

One word: Access. One Way streets on two sides, a short block, high traffic 2-way highway on the third side. Very Pedetrian unfriendly. 

With one of the one-way streets mostly below grade, and so less-than-useless for access.

Seems to me that, short of putting pedestrian tunnels under Church and E. North--or probably even with it--whatever goes there would have to attract people who don't mind walking across the bridge, as it was with the old Memorial Auditorium. So, as several people have indicated here in the past, some sort of entertainment venue adjunct to the arena seems the best in theory.

But what?

Knox White makes it sound like it should be good. Glad to see the city is at least getting involved with the process. While I agree that more apartments aren’t needed downtown right now, I feel like this would be a good site for more condos as that is currently an underserved market downtown that seems to be selling very well. 

Edited by gman430

6 minutes ago, deltad22 said:

The city is making $$$ off this site everytime it changes hands.    My bet is that this piece of land gets sold again in three years.   

How? The city never owned the site. It was sold and owned by the arena district. The city might make some money in taxes and DRB approval fees but that’s about it. 

Edited by gman430