The Gateway Site

gs3

I can live with low- to mid-rises if they are built densely in an urban fashion. Obviously a highrise or two would be preferred, but infill there would go a long way to improving connectivity through that part of downtown.

Unfortunately, I predict that this project will suck.

It is a large site. They would have to propose a lot of units to fill this site appropriately. We shall see what happens but I'm definitely nervous.

It is a large site. They would have to propose a lot of units to fill this site appropriately. We shall see what happens but I'm definitely nervous.

I hope they don't leave a lot of open space around the building(s).  If they do, I'm sure they will frame it as a "plaza" or "park" or "greenspace" to make it sound great, even though in reality those are usually buzzwords for a non-urban development with wasted space around it.

I don't know how much the site cost the owners, but maybe it was high enough that they will have incentive to maximize the space...

Edited by Greenville

I don't know how much the site cost the owners, but maybe it was high enough that they will have incentive to maximize the space...

According to GCGIS records, the site was transferred from "Gville Memorial Auditorium" to "Greenville Gateway Developers" on 17 January 2008 for $1.8 million. Then, on the same date, it was transferred again - to the same party - for just $1. (I have no idea what that means.) So, take your pick.

Current assessed value appears to be $1.4 million. 2012 taxes, paid on 10 September 2013, were $33,126.64. There are a number of businesses - some construction- or real estate-related and some not - registered at the same address (in a very upscale residential neighborhood) as Greenville Gateway Developers. Principals are said to be Rick Thoennes and his business partner Tim Roberson. Before the sale closed in January 2008, "Charleston Regional Business Journal" reported that the partners were planning a high-rise mix that would "include a hotel, rooftop restaurant, condominiums and rental apartments."

That was then; this is now.

According to GCGIS records, the site was transferred from "Gville Memorial Auditorium" to "Greenville Gateway Developers" on 17 January 2008 for $1.8 million. Then, on the same date, it was transferred again - to the same party - for just $1. (I have no idea what that means.) So, take your pick.

Current assessed value appears to be $1.4 million. 2012 taxes, paid on 10 September 2013, were $33,126.64. There are a number of businesses - some construction- or real estate-related and some not - registered at the same address (in a very upscale residential neighborhood) as Greenville Gateway Developers. Principals are said to be Rick Thoennes and his business partner Tim Roberson. Before the sale closed in January 2008, "Charleston Regional Business Journal" reported that the partners were planning a high-rise mix that would "include a hotel, rooftop restaurant, condominiums and rental apartments."

That was then; this is now.

Thank you for the helpful info.  I don't understand why someone would spend money on a prime site such as this, sit on it while other mixed-use developments happen which include the things you plan for your site (hotel, residential, restaurants), then you announce a crappy 3-4 story apartment complex.  Because other successful developments have occurred mere blocks away, it's clearly not a problem with the area of the city or the economy (although I know plenty of developers like to use this as an excuse).

This oozes huge disappointment, and the only reason we have so far for why is because these developers don't have a clue what they are doing.

Edited by Greenville

The ingress/egress to this site is terrible and that limits greatly what can be done with it, IMO.  Putting more than 100 units into one project is difficult it seems, only The Beach Company seems able to exceed that.   Plus their two projects are no doubt snuffing out other apartment projects or at least limiting the size of them. 

If the design is good and the garage is well hidden, I could probably live with it. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but the city/Auditorium authority should have either kept the original Auditorium or at least held onto the site.  Once it went into private hands, the control over this key site is much more limited. If the city had held it, they could have negotiated a low price in return for a large well-designed building (which would produce more tax revenue anyway).     

Why not just put a huge parking garage surrounded by/clad in ground-floor retail/restaurant and upper level apartment/condo on this site and then replace the surface parking around the Bi-Lo Center with more of the same (retail and restaurant space facing N. Church Street and the Bi-Lo Center both with low-rise apartment/condo above it)?  Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Word on the street is that the project will be +/- 260 units with four story construction wrapped around an internal parking garage.  The current plan is said to have high-end amenities that include a large pool and a few courtyards.  It's a joint venture between Everlane Development and Alliance Residential.  Construction is supposed to start late summer.  

260 units is a lot for a four story building.  400 Rhett has 150 in 5 floors (if you count parking) and 98 E. McBee has like 56 in four floors.   Is it maybe taller than 4 floors or have fewer units than that?   That site doesn't seem that big.   

260 in 4 stories is definitely what I heard, but of course, that could be wrong b/c this is somewhat second hand info.  I'm personally very excited about a project with such significant density though.  That's enormous compared to all the other projects that are truly in downtown and it would mean adding something like 350 people that would live a block or two off of Main.  Plus, it will be a great day for the city when the green wall is finally taken down.  That's just my opinion though.

• 3 weeks later...

So much for the "wow" factor the city wanted for this property. Guess it's better than nothing. Apartments or condos?

Apartments. The city probably got sick of waiting for a 'wow' development to come to this site. Don't see any retail or office space. A fitness center and leasing office along with a somewhat glass tower structure at the front of the development is included.

Edited by gman430

Apartments. The city probably got sick of waiting for a 'wow' development to come to this site. Don't see any retail or office space. A fitness center and leasing office along with a somewhat glass tower structure at the front of the development is included.

I am actually okay with it not being mixed use.  Think about it, any retail there would be in no-man's land because it feels so out of the way from the action on Main, and there is nothing beyond it except the arena.  For the rent which would be charged, I don't see retail being successful there.  Office space could work, but I think it would be hard to get in and out if you are a client-driven business.

I hate that this is only four stories, but having several buildings there will still dramatically change a site which has been an eyesore for over 15 years.  I would have loved something "wow" there, but at this point I'll gladly take this.  Plus, more rental units downtown seem like a great idea.

• Like 1