The Gateway Site

gs3

Unfortunately it fell to a similar fate as the Main at Elford site and now two more prominent pieces of downtown real estate are no longer available for quality development. If you are young, then you or your children may be fortunate enough to see the day when these sites will be properly redeveloped.

In regards to "the Gateway to Greenville," the city should have initiated a well-organized search for a comprehensive plan that would have created an iconic entrance into downtown.

Unfortunately it fell to a similar fate as the Main at Elford site and now two more prominent pieces of downtown real estate are no longer available for quality development. If you are young, then you or your children may be fortunate enough to see the day when these sites will be properly redeveloped.

In regards to "the Gateway to Greenville," the city should have initiated a well-organized search for a comprehensive plan that would have created an iconic entrance into downtown.

In regards to the Main at Elford St. location is that where the rinky-dink 3 story motel is going? If so that is another great property wasted.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, what does everyone think of the redesign of this project? I like that they are using the entire "triangle" and it will be a huge improvement over what is there now. I like the renderings and think it will make a nice entrance to the city and it will help bridge the arena to the rest of downtown.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2162?fileID=6146

• Like 1

Disappointing that the ground level retail has been removed.  I'm not sure if there is enough foot traffic at that location to make it work though, so not entirely surprised.   It will be a big improvement over what is there now.  If the city can ever get the Urban Trail project completed, it will complement this nicely.   

It needs to be taller. 

I agree a floor or two more would have been nice, but this will feel taller along Beattie Place.

Disappointing that the ground level retail has been removed.  I'm not sure if there is enough foot traffic at that location to make it work though, so not entirely surprised.   It will be a big improvement over what is there now.  If the city can ever get the Urban Trail project completed, it will complement this nicely.   

I thought the same thing about the retail. At first bummed it was removed but then thought it might not work great there. Although if the urban trail project is built, maybe it would work?

Looks pretty good. This is one of the better apartment designs we are seeing go up in the city. I would group Link West End in that category as well. It will help urbanize that gateway into downtown. 

I agree. This is a pretty cool design for apartments and it will really make a difference for that part of town.

It needs to be taller. 

I don't understand this parcel. We've heard all along that projects haven't worked because it has fundamental connectivity problems. If that is true, how can we expect to put 250 appts there and get all those people to it? If we can indeed get that many people there, what is to stop them from going ultra dense and making this thing bigger ( where's Rick Thoenes when we need him)? And another thing, Cola has a 250 appt project in the oven and is looking at a 29 storey building. We have at least 3 with that many units and can't get more than 5. Help me out with this one guys...

I agree a floor or two more would have been nice, but this will feel taller along Beattie Place.

I thought the same thing about the retail. At first bummed it was removed but then thought it might not work great there. Although if the urban trail project is built, maybe it would work?

I agree. This is a pretty cool design for apartments and it will really make a difference for that part of town.

I guess I just loathe modern architecture because I think it looks terrible :wacko:. It looks identical to twenty other projects going up right now DT. Uuugggghhhh. 

I don't understand this parcel. We've heard all along that projects haven't worked because it has fundamental connectivity problems. If that is true, how can we expect to put 250 appts there and get all those people to it? If we can indeed get that many people there, what is to stop them from going ultra dense and making this thing bigger ( where's Rick Thoenes when we need him)?

They are going to get to it with their car.  It's when they try to walk somewhere that the difficulty starts. 

• 6 months later...
51 minutes ago, apaladin said:

More than likely, just like all the other planned projects for this site. Almost 20 years now and still vacant.

Yep. This is why I have said numerous times the city needs to fund putting a park here until the right development comes along if it ever does. Having a site like this as the main entrance to downtown for visitors to see is sad and pathetic. Not a very good first impression of you ask me. 

• Like 1

On March 17, 2016 at 11:18 AM, gman430 said:

Yep. This is why I have said numerous times the city needs to fund putting a park here until the right development comes along if it ever does. Having a site like this as the main entrance to downtown for visitors to see is sad and pathetic. Not a very good first impression of you ask me. 

You are correct....city needs to try something to make it more attractive for it to be developed...hopefully in our lifetime. Is there a way to find out if this is definitely a dead project?

Edited by cabelagent

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

"The Gateway Site", now that's a name I've not heard for a long, long time... a long time.

Points if you know what I'm quoting :)

I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since... oh, before you were born. :D

I think turning this area into a public plaza until it can be developed would be a cost effective way to get rid of this eyesore. 

Put in some plants, a fountain or piece art that can be relocated later...anything is better than the empty lot and ugly fence. 

The Well could use it as an extension or maybe the city could come up with something fun to do there...smaller farmers market on Wednesday maybe or food trucks? 

• Like 1