The Gateway Site

gs3

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Word on the street is that the hotel slated for this site will be at least 15 stories tall. We shall see. 

Well hotels are usually 10ft/per floor, if we add a few levels of above ground parking, a couple levels of condos above the hotel, and a nonflat roof with a spire, we could have a pretty tall building.

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Word on the street is that the hotel slated for this site will be at least 15 stories tall. We shall see. 

The last post before this was GMan's own claim that the site is cursed. Now it's "the hotel."

Are we being punked? :tw_confused:

18 minutes ago, Exile said:

The last post before this was GMan's own claim that the site is cursed. Now it's "the hotel."

Are we being punked? :tw_confused:

Lol...not in this case. I was joking when I said it was dead also. 

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

Disappointed...thought you might be  posting drone pics of crane installation and construction workers. Is there an exterminator available for all the noisey crickets crawling around downtown? :tw_weary:

UrbanPlanet won’t even let me post drone pics anymore. Says the picture files are too large. :wacko: :( Tried posting some for the Camperdown site a few days ago. 

I can call Gregory Pest. :D 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

UrbanPlanet won’t even let me post drone pics anymore. Says the picture files are too large. :wacko: :( Tried posting some for the Camperdown site a few days ago. 

Hate that about your (always great) drone pics....it may take more than one exterminator for the crickets.  :tw_grimace: 

Hope some of these dormant projects begin to show  life soon....of some kind.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, gman430 said:

Run the pics through Pixlr or a similar program, it lets you save them at file sizes of your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gman, hows about checking with your pal at gnews about this potential project, maybe he/she can get a hold of some info. :dontknow:

You know, just had a thought; if we wait long enough some one might build a nostalgic replica of the auditorium on the site, you know kinda like there was a push to recreate the old city hall a few years ago... :w00t:

Just found this kinds crazy to see after all these years! 

Auditorium demolition

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Hey Gman, hows about checking with your pal at gnews about this potential project, maybe he/she can get a hold of some info. :dontknow:

You know, just had a thought; if we wait long enough some one might build a nostalgic replica of the auditorium on the site, you know kinda like there was a push to recreate the old city hall a few years ago... :w00t:

Just found this kinds crazy to see after all these years! 

Auditorium demolition

That's crazy to see. What was their reasoning for demolishing it? 

I think at the time it was thought that property would become one of the most sought after in Greenville. It was then that it was dubbed "The Gateway Site" and the city envisioned a grand city entrance. It was only expected to remain empty for a short while, it now been over 20 years! 

A little off topic but semi related, here is the Scott Towers demo from a few years ago, I went to see that one live.

Scott Towers

I kinda hate these two buildings are gone. It's too bad the Auditorium couldn't have been repurposed for other uses, it would probably be nice to have a second venue downtown.  I went into Scott Towers a few times a couple years before demo and it was nicer inside than I expected. Outdated certainly, but I felt it could have been made over and looked really nice. Had some great views from in there too. That sits also still sits empty.

The layout of the seating was basically a two-tiered bowl--actually an "upper deck" with some fold out seating at court level--but at one end the seats went considerably higher, as if it were a hybrid of arena and theater. I wonder whether it could have been re-done into more of a large theater. Something like that would have been great for big concerts.

But the Auditorium was squeezed between Bi-Lo/BSW Arena, Timmons Arena (Furman basketball at the Auditorium back in the 70's was outstanding), and the Peace Center. If it had been redone, it would have had to be a complete re-purposing into something very different. And distortedlogic is right--they thought the land would be valuable. So much for thinking.

4 hours ago, Exile said:

The layout of the seating was basically a two-tiered bowl--actually an "upper deck" with some fold out seating at court level--but at one end the seats went considerably higher, as if it were a hybrid of arena and theater. I wonder whether it could have been re-done into more of a large theater. Something like that would have been great for big concerts.

But the Auditorium was squeezed between Bi-Lo/BSW Arena, Timmons Arena (Furman basketball at the Auditorium back in the 70's was outstanding), and the Peace Center. If it had been redone, it would have had to be a complete re-purposing into something very different. And distortedlogic is right--they thought the land would be valuable. So much for thinking.

Timmons was built after the Brown Box was closed. We did not appreciate how great the Brown Box was for a basketball game. 

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

:lol: With as much dignity as he could muster, the old man gathered up the sad remains of his shattered major award. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage.

Ugh...this makes me have the thought of a CEMETERY as the best option for the site  :tw_grimace: