The Gateway Site

gs3

3 hours ago, Den2Gvl said:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/apartments-proposed-former-memorial-auditorium-site/

This popped up on my suggested articles on UBJ today. These plans look great, what happened? 

Yeah there were a couple of sets of plans around that time. I am actually glad none of them materialized as they were all run of the mill boxy  4-5 story buildings with little character. As much as I'd like to see something happen with the site, I would wait till we can get something nicer and more prominent. We've waited years, why throw up a boring nothing now?

9 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Yeah there were a couple of sets of plans around that time. I am actually glad none of them materialized as they were all run of the mill boxy  4-5 story buildings with little character. As much as I'd like to see something happen with the site, I would wait till we can get something nicer and more prominent. We've waited years, why throw up a boring nothing now?

I watched a YouTube video covering the Mem. Aud. implosion...Mayor Knox White was interviewed by a reporter about how the site would now be a prime location for development.   It's amazing (not surprising) that there's not been anyone to propose & formulate a development suitable for this  'prime' location. The shape of the property and traffic flow have probably been the biggest obstacles...hope something good occurs after almost 23 years! 

Edited by cabelagent

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

My calendar doesn't say April 1. :P

I thought the same at first.

30 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Should be 50....would commensurate the long wait for development.  :tw_glasses:

Yes, that would be great, if it is appropriately designed and parking is located on the arena side of Beattie Place.

I remain hopeful, but skeptical that this development proposal will see construction.

For an interesting perspective, check out this video from WSPA during the implosion of Greenville Memorial Auditorium -- particularly when Mayor Knox White is interviewed at approximately 07:30 into the clip:

Edited by Skyliner
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

I thought the same at first.

Yes, that would be great, if it is appropriately designed and parking is located on the arena side of Beattie Place.

I remain hopeful, but skeptical that this development proposal will see construction.

For an interesting perspective, check out this video from WSPA during the implosion of Greenville Memorial Auditorium -- particularly when Mayor Knox White is interviewed at approximately 07:30 into the clip:

That is interesting....the Mayor (along with everyone else) just knew something significant would be developed in that prime vacant area downtown...would not happen. Hope something good happens now!

23 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Let this news spread like a wildfire: 

4DC9DE2F-3828-4440-8AF6-DFEB1BA77E20.jpeg

Raj Patel's group purchased this land right? So he will be developing I assume?

I think the earlier story said they envisioned 200,000 sqft of space. By my rough calculation using https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php, each floor of the building would be in the range of 40,000 sqft... so 5 or 6 stories? I sure hope it's over 10.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

11 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Raj Patel's group purchased this land right? So he will be developing I assume?

I think the earlier story said they envisioned 200,000 sqft of space. By my rough calculation using https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php, each floor of the building would be in the range of 40,000 sqft... so 5 or 6 stories? I sure hope it's over 10.

It’s a joint venture with several different companies just like you see at Camperdown. Patel will be building the hotel I believe. 

Since we are almost halfway thru 2019 and if it is coming in 2020 it can't be much. Just can't imagine a hotel. residences, restaurants and offices in such a small space without some height. It would almost assuredly have to be built on top of a parking garage, correct? No sense in getting excited since we have been thru these signs/announcement and nothing happening thing 10 times. 

52 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Since we are almost halfway thru 2019 and if it is coming in 2020 it can't be much. Just can't imagine a hotel. residences, restaurants and offices in such a small space without some height. It would almost assuredly have to be built on top of a parking garage, correct? 

I had some similar thoughts. I guess the parking garage for the arena could be used, but you would think it would need its own parking ; I'm betting it will be below ground parking . 

What were the dimensions of the auditorium; that might give a clue to the foot print for this thing. It would be nice if some of the downtown themes could be worked into this; incorporating a small green space/garden, art work, and a water feature. I also hope the architecture is something nice; like not modern and boxy! In any case, sounds fairly ambitious with the mixed use, maybe we'll be impressed.