The Gateway Site

gs3

I will still hold out hope that we get a venue here that attracts bands that we dont currently get that we lose to Charlotte, Asheville, and Atlanta.  I dont care where it is, well other than woodruff road/ simpsonville :-).   Maybe something near downtown and downtown restaurants and hotels would be a nice to have.  Anyway, can we put the revolving space needle waffle house here now?

On 12/11/2019 at 9:13 AM, sptgguy said:

At this point...just let who ever owns it build something. The city needs to back off or buy it and build a cool plaza and signature work of art for the city. 

Yep the city should have plenty of money to spend when county square, the museum and convention center all officially bite the dust, ie voted down. That will free up a lot of money.

Edited by apaladin

I’m hearing (from unreliable source) that a farm is being planned for the site. Includes a white farmhouse (rundown appearance), a small pasture with cows, some horses, a chicken coup (chickens pecking around). Perhaps some pigs roaming around, and a sleeping big yeller dog. Should recruit the right couple to rock on the porch swing to stare at folks riding by. Another touch...a long clothesline with drying white sheets flapping in the breeze. At least the site would appear to be functional with something more than presently.

1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

I’m hearing (from unreliable source) that a farm is being planned for the site. Includes a white farmhouse (rundown appearance), a small pasture with cows, some horses, a chicken coup (chickens pecking around). Perhaps some pigs roaming around, and a sleeping big yeller dog. Should recruit the right couple to rock on the porch swing to stare at folks riding by. Another touch...a long clothesline with drying white sheets flapping in the breeze. At least the site would appear to be functional with something more than presently.

No, not happening. We all know over and over the intent of the buyers of this property. Buy it hold it until a new speculator can provide them a profit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cabelagent said:

How about a sign saying "Welcome to Walnut Grove!" 

:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cabelagent said:

The NIMBY’s will complain that it’s too tall, not affordable enough, and doesn’t fit in with the surrounding neighborhood. :D 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

The NIMBY’s will complain that it’s too tall, not affordable enough, and doesn’t fit in with the surrounding neighborhood. :D 

Hey taking into consideration scale and aesthetics isnt a terrible thing and this spot can be as tall as anyone wants, this NIMBY is cool with anything other than another 22 years of dirt.  Anyone have the history of sale prices? maybe each one of us should take a turn at this game.  I was thinking something modern mixed with the mill heritage but I dont know maybe we just go modern here. I like how this structure has height, is modern and eye catching, and has a delineated lower-level pedestrian public space.  ignore the gym sign.

capture.jpg

Edited by gvegascple

14 hours ago, apaladin said:

No, not happening. We all know over and over the intent of the buyers of this property. Buy it hold it until a new speculator can provide them a profit. 

Pretty lousy way to make a return.  The problems with this site are numerous and well known. No revenue whatsoever in the interim, and no telling how long it will take to make a profit at all. Taxes alone are $48k in carrying costs, to say nothing of the interest on  the original $3 million purchase price. 

To make any sense at all, they would need to have gotten a bargain on the front end.  They paid $3 mm  in 2017 for 1.83 acres.  Keep in mind that does NOT include any of the adjoining Canal Insurance owned parcels that just about anybody buying it would want to have included in their project. 

The property sold for $1.8 mm in 2008 and $3 mm in 2017.    

9 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Pretty lousy way to make a return.  The problems with this site are numerous and well known. No revenue whatsoever in the interim, and no telling how long it will take to make a profit at all. Taxes alone are $48k in carrying costs, to say nothing of the interest on  the original $3 million purchase price. 

To make any sense at all, they would need to have gotten a bargain on the front end.  They paid $3 mm  in 2017 for 1.83 acres.  Keep in mind that does NOT include any of the adjoining Canal Insurance owned parcels that just about anybody buying it would want to have included in their project. 

The property sold for $1.8 mm in 2008 and $3 mm in 2017.    

Is the adjoining Canal parcel holding up any development? I lost track that this parcel was not included...very poor foresight that it was not included with sale. 

Edited by cabelagent

• 1 month later...

400 N. Church Street, Greenville, SC 29601

MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT: GATEWAY DEVELOPMENT

Location: 400 N. Church Street, Greenville, SC (Downtown CBD)

Land Size: 1.83 acres

FAR: TBA

Brief Description: Hotel (committed); Office; Residences; Restaurants

Status: Phase I (Boutique Hotel) in design and permitting stage.

Phase II (Office, Residential) in pre-leasing/pre-sale stage

Construction: 2020

Development Coordinator: Marty Navarro, CCIM, 864-242-9211 Ext. 1

29 minutes ago, gman430 said:

400 N. Church Street, Greenville, SC 29601

MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT: GATEWAY DEVELOPMENT

Location: 400 N. Church Street, Greenville, SC (Downtown CBD)

Land Size: 1.83 acres

FAR: TBA

Brief Description: Hotel (committed); Office; Residences; Restaurants

Status: Phase I (Boutique Hotel) in design and permitting stage.

Phase II (Office, Residential) in pre-leasing/pre-sale stage

Construction: 2020

Development Coordinator: Marty Navarro, CCIM, 864-242-9211 Ext. 1

Thanks....for reminding us what will not happen.  :cry: