The Gateway Site

gs3

On 1/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, apaladin said:

They better get it sold before Trump gets out of office and the economy crashes.

I can't tell if you're making a tongue-in-cheek comment on the fact that Trump inherited the current economy and has done nothing to keep it stable and, if anything, has undermined it with an economically dyslexic series of policies, or if you're being serious and are therefore irreparably stupid . Or if you're observing that the stock market is largely a barometer of how bullish the same group of stupid plutocrats feel on any given day.

Anyway

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spero said:

I can't tell if you're making a tongue-in-cheek comment on the fact that Trump inherited the current economy and has done nothing to keep it stable and, if anything, has undermined it with an economically dyslexic series of policies, or if you're being serious and are therefore irreparably stupid . Or if you're observing that the stock market is largely a barometer of how bullish the same group of stupid plutocrats feel on any given day.

Anyway

Maybe this was an opportunity to create a politics thread in the coffee house, a la Charlotte forum? But then again, I'm grateful that explicitly political statements are, unlike CLT, exceedingly rare in this forum, much less insults hurled because of perceptions about what someone's politics might be.

For the record, I too wasn't sure whether apaladin was being tongue-in-cheek or not. But I was content--I'm obviously not unique in this, since apaladin's post is three days old--to let it stand. You should have, too. Either that or create the politics thread so we can reliably avoid your invective.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Spero said:

Anyway

Is that you Schiff?

This isn't the place for politics. Anyone smart knows that all it does is divide people. Divided we are weak. That's what they want and they're getting it. Put politics somewhere else other than here please. Most of us in here have to do the same things to make a living regardless of who's the president.

Edited by motonenterprises
Smartphone lol
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, gman430 said:

The site got the Rona. :( 

The city needs to start holding these developers accountable and make them at least clean up the site if nothing else. 

I am wondering how long it will take for office space to recover from all of this with so many now working from home.  

I don't think it will take too long. There is something to say about having employees in the same place working to together that you can't get with distance learning.  After 9/11, NYC has a huge slump in occupancy for offices but the companies all came back in the end. I know we are talking about a different scale but I think it will happen sooner rather than later. 

16 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

My employer is not renewing its lease, putting 27k SF on the market.  

Yea, seeing that a lot. I think it's interesting. Every industry is going to be different, for sure. Ultimately, I think there's going to be a return to more in-person work as employers realize that young employees need the face-to-face interaction and mentoring to be worthwhile team members. I'd hate to be getting out of college right now or making a major career move and attempt to navigate the waters solely through an internet connection. 

• Like 1

Either way, the 2020's,and to a much larger extent the 2030's, have long been predicted to be a decade of rapid technological development that will change our relationship with work. General Artifical Intelligence is right around the corner, and I can only imagine the pandemic has increased corporate demand for such artificial intelligence. Office may come back temporarily over the next few years, but it's nothing to depend on over the next 10-20 years. .

Amazon, in particular, is going to expand dramatically over the next few years with 1000's of new warehouses, drone delivery for one day-day (or even less) Prime service,  and so on. This means retail is only going to continue its bleed due to monopoly capitalism that Amazon is employing and we (myself included) are supporting. 

As someone in their late 20's, I can only hope there is decisive action to either guarantee we have employment over the long-term or a guarantee a base line living standard or we are in for a very gloomy future over the long-term. 

So Greenville leaders would be wise to start planning for this future, and implementing that vision ASAP. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Somebody should put a graveyard on site with tombstones of all of the failed projects that have come and gone downtown. 

Or maybe just a memorial to our wasted time of anticipation and excitement. The Peacock Hotel & Spa, and the Pinnacle on Main being the main culprits. Sigh. :lol:

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

Or maybe just a memorial to our wasted time of anticipation and excitement. The Peacock Hotel & Spa, and the Pinnacle on Main being the main culprits. Sigh. :lol:

The Failed Projects Memorial....list the  failures on an extravagate tombstone by date.  Add a large water fountain with a circular bike path around it so folks can ride by & throw coins.  It should be a success....nothing else has been thus far.  

42 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The signage on site says coming 2020 so they still have a few weeks to start construction. :alc: Get excited Apaladin. :D Even the website is under construction: https://www.nrepg.com/projects 

Ugh...Not a good sign when the website of the property group has an ancient pic of downtown that includes the old news building....

Edited by cabelagent