The Gateway Site

gs3

21 hours ago, gman said:

That observation tower is meant to overlook the park, not the entire city of Greenville. It's the perfect height for what will be a near perfect park setting. 

As I recall, it is also supposed to be tall enough to offer a view of the mountains.

4 hours ago, Galley said:

As I recall, it is also supposed to be tall enough to offer a view of the mountains.

Paris Mountain or maybe Pine Mountain would be the only mountains, anyone should expect to see from it. Anything over a 4 story building would get a view of Paris Mountain. 

I don't recall the intended height of the tower, but they should be able to see the blue ridge in some fashion -- especially if we fund a plan to  clear the haze out of the air on dry days. 

EDIT: tower is planned to be 80', or equivalent to roughly a 7 story building. 

Edited by GvilleSC

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I filled out the survey. I don't really understand their intention or who the stakeholders are. The City of Greenville does not appear to be involved in any way. 

Maybe its a pump and dump scheme from the current owner.  Get the interest up, get the prices up,  sell to the next prospector to hold for ten years.  Repeat....

• Haha 1

I've been attending planning meetings and charrettes in Greenville for over a decade and none of this makes sense to me.

https://www.dom360.com/

From their website:

"We help clients get more leads, increase service tickets and sell more cars. Period. And though we always lead with digital, we complement those tactics with traditional methods, including broadcast, OOH and POP merchandising."

https://www.foxcarolina.com/new-downtown-entryway-project-coming-to-greenville/video_9ccd1203-d2dc-51b7-847d-b5fdff9c8cbf.html?block_id=996030

Sounds like an activist approach by a new business owner in that area to make something happen. Happy to see it as this area continues to have a lot of wasted potential.  I know there are areas in the city rightfully taking more attention right now, but no reason why we can't have other areas work to push improvement as well with their own effort as long as it aligns with what the city envisions.

• Like 1

It sounds like this has less to do with the Gateway site itself and is more about the entrance into Greenville. "Overhaul of downtown Greenville’s I-385 gateway in the works." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/overhaul-of-downtown-greenvilles-i-385-gateway-in-the-works/article_10d3e146-911f-11ec-85ed-5f3aa23d766b.html

18 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I think it's going to be hard to do much with the entrance as long as the LEC is right there. It would be nice if the LEC and jail could move to another location and a developer could come in a remake that whole area. Maybe the money from the sale could go towards a new LEC/jail at another location?

Could be a great spot for a soccer stadium. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, gman said:

It sounds like this has less to do with the Gateway site itself and is more about the entrance into Greenville. "Overhaul of downtown Greenville’s I-385 gateway in the works." https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/overhaul-of-downtown-greenvilles-i-385-gateway-in-the-works/article_10d3e146-911f-11ec-85ed-5f3aa23d766b.html

Much ado about nothing. 

11 hours ago, gman said:

There is a lot of energy around this area of Greenville. I am excited about the folks that are leading discussions and getting input from the citizens. This is progress. 

Ya'll need to take a lesson, this is some serious positivity right here!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gman said:

There is a lot of energy around this area of Greenville. I am excited about the folks that are leading discussions and getting input from the citizens. This is progress. 

Yeah…a new ugly building for the jail. Woohoo. Tons of progress. LOL. 

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yeah…a new ugly building for the jail. Woohoo. Tons of progress. LOL. 

Actually MOVING the Law Enforcement Center, at least the offices is one of the major themes from talking to one of the planners. The presentation is TONIGHT at 5:00 at the Well. 

• Like 4

IMO, the focus should be on getting office space out of the Pettigru Historic District and returning it to a residential neighborhood, as well as on redevelopment along North Street. On the City's side of things: I think they should invest in consistent lighting and plantings from Stone Avenue to Church Street. Constructing a new office building for the LEC would visually improve things along one's drive into the City, but I don't know that I agree with moving it. 

I am far from a city planner, but they need to continue to route 385 traffic onto Academy and not through downtown.  I know there's plans to add more turn lanes onto Academy, but I'm thinking more drastic, what about connecting 385 to Academy through the LEC land?

Long term, North Street should turn into a mixed use commercial street with building heights 3-5 stories that is walkable with restaurants, bars, greenspace and apartments.   North Street should be seen as the new "Arena District"... perhaps we could try to also fit the soccer stadium in there somewhere too.  Through traffic should continue onto Academy and route around downtown.  Once off North Street, zoning should slowly turn from dense to less dense residential.  Washington can have small businesses 1-2 stories that are more neighborhoody, but there should be no businesses outside of North and Washington.

Just some thoughts that go through my head as I commute every day through that area and like to think about how wasted of a space it is.  I also hate how 385 traffic gets backed up onto the highway during events at the arena.  That shouldn't happen and is a result of through traffic and event traffic all going through the same area.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 4