Jump to content

The Gateway Site


gs3

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Actually MOVING the Law Enforcement Center, at least the offices is one of the major themes from talking to one of the planners. The presentation is TONIGHT at 5:00 at the Well. 

I’ll believe that when I see it. Who would pay for their new offices? Surely not Greenville County. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 2/23/2022 at 1:30 PM, GVLover said:

I noticed that too; I agree that it would be great! 

How about a new iconic flatiron City Hall?  With the council chambers on the ground floor, of course.  All part of a mixed use project that would tie into the Arena's surface lot as shown in the renderings?  The boulevarding of East North would probably have to happen at the same time.     

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 1:36 PM, gman430 said:

Which will happen first: development of this site or the replacement of the puke colored seats at the Well that have been there since 1998? :rofl: 

Not the color of puke I’ve seen. :dontknow: If you want puke colored visit the Asheville civic center. I swear those are the same seats when it opened in 1975. 

Edited by apaladin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Title:
A prominent piece of downtown Greenville, vacant for decades, is on the cusp of rebirth

Link:
https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/a-prominent-piece-of-downtown-greenville-vacant-for-decades-is-on-the-cusp-of-rebirth/article_f2b39cf0-a9f7-11ec-9d15-c750952d42f8.html

Looks like this is under contract for sale.  You can read the article for free by downloading the P&C Greenville app on your phone.

Highlight:

"Plan after plan has fallen through over the years but Mayor Knox White said the latest proposal could be the one to come to fruition."

The proposal is "for mixed-use multifamily residences with public and commercial retail space."

Learn more in June...

 

Edited by wellen
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wellen said:

Title:
A prominent piece of downtown Greenville, vacant for decades, is on the cusp of rebirth

Link:
https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/a-prominent-piece-of-downtown-greenville-vacant-for-decades-is-on-the-cusp-of-rebirth/article_f2b39cf0-a9f7-11ec-9d15-c750952d42f8.html

Looks like this is under contract for sale.  You can read the article for free by downloading the P&C Greenville app on your phone.

Highlight:

"Plan after plan has fallen through over the years but Mayor Knox White said the latest proposal could be the one to come to fruition."

The proposal is "for mixed-use multifamily residences with public and commercial retail space."

Learn more in June...

 

This in part stood out to me:
 

White told The Post and Courier on March 22 that he’s “been pleased to see that investors who have very deep pockets from outside of Greenville have been interested in this property.”

“We hope something positive will come from that," he said.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to know that there is healthy interest in the site. I sure hope the deal includes the Canal properties. It's good to see potential investment away from the river/West End to help maintain balance downtown. Seeing quotes from the mayor about something happening on the site "this year" is intriguing and kind of shocking. 

However, I think some should temper their expectations before they wind up disappointed and create a foul mood on the message board. Give yourself the space to be pleasantly surprised. It should be reiterated that the article states that due diligence will be a two month process at a minimum, and the EARLIEST we (the public) hear anything further on the plans will be June. When June 30th comes and passes, don't start the doom and gloom campaign, please

Edited by GvilleSC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Good to know that there is healthy interest in the site. I sure hope the deal includes the Canal properties. It's good to see potential investment away from the river/West End to help maintain balance downtown. Seeing quotes from the mayor about something happening on the site "this year" is intriguing and kind of shocking. 

However, I think some should temper their expectations before they wind up disappointed and create a foul mood on the message board. Give yourself the space to be pleasantly surprised. It should be reiterated that the article states that due diligence will be a two month process at a minimum, and the EARLIEST we (the public) hear anything further on the plans will be June. When June 30th comes and passes, don't start the doom and gloom campaign, please

LOL…hope you’re being sarcastic as there’s been a  ‘foul mood’ regarding this site for years…will likely continue until the site is finally developed. Hope you don’t get burned out monitoring  the ‘doom & gloom’ . :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

LOL…hope you’re being sarcastic as there’s been a  ‘foul mood’ regarding this site for years…will likely continue until the site is finally developed. Hope you don’t get burned out monitoring  the ‘doom & gloom’ . :lol:

 

LOL - I'm thinking more along the lines of United Community Bank's new HQ, etc. Sites where hype of 20 story buildings were discussed without any foot in reality. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Plus tall buildings kinda suck. Would rather see a mid-rise mixed use that has nice architecture and green/public space.  Something that provides a good entrance to downtown, but also blends well with having Bon Secours nearby.

This is an interesting comment.  After everyone working from home during Covid, it exposed the capital risk with tall buildings that before may have been seen as no brainers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

This is an interesting comment.  After everyone working from home during Covid, it exposed the capital risk with tall buildings that before may have been seen as no brainers.  

Can you elaborate on the risk that you're talking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Plus tall buildings kinda suck. Would rather see a mid-rise mixed use that has nice architecture and green/public space.  Something that provides a good entrance to downtown, but also blends well with having Bon Secours nearby.

Charleston is that way. ——->

I hope it’s at least 50 stories tall and you can see it from Asheville. :D I also hope it needs FAA approval to get built, blocks out the sun and creates a wind tunnel with hurricane force winds. 

Edited by gman430
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Can you elaborate on the risk that you're talking about?

I assume that one of the main reasons many employers are pushing to get remote workers back to the office is due to the capital investment in real estate for office space.   Everyone demonstrated fairly well that many can work remotely without efficiency losses and improved work/home balances.   Before Covid, big tall office buildings were perceived as good investments where density made sense.  Post covid, I imagine those who havent made such now potentially at risk investments might be rethinking how to spend their money.  This is not discounting the insane real estate market, but having a giant empty building to maintain is now more of a risk than before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

I assume that one of the main reasons many employers are pushing to get remote workers back to the office is due to the capital investment in real estate for office space.   Everyone demonstrated fairly well that many can work remotely without efficiency losses and improved work/home balances.   Before Covid, big tall office buildings were perceived as good investments where density made sense.  Post covid, I imagine those who havent made such now potentially at risk investments might be rethinking how to spend their money.  This is not discounting the insane real estate market, but having a giant empty building to maintain is now more of a risk than before.

Got it -- you're talking about office space. I didn't perceive the transition. According to the article, the interest of the developer is to construct multi-family residential on this particular site. They could absolutely fulfill gman's dream of a highrise as a multi-family project. I'm not saying it's likely, but possible.

Off topic: I think we've yet to really witness the full impact of the work from home transition. Canal Insurance is trying to lure people back into the office with their new lease at 101 North Main. A lot of employers are trying to resume a pre-2020 normal. It will be interesting to watch over the next decade.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.