The Gateway Site

gs3

On 6/18/2022 at 10:17 AM, distortedlogic said:

Time for what.. are they erecting a memorial to the auditorium,  a park, ..fixing the broken fence?:dontknow:

I hear it's going to be a graveyard with tombstones dedicated to all of the failed projects downtown and failed airlines at GSP Airport. :D

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

I hear it's going to be a graveyard with tombstones dedicated to all of the failed projects downtown and failed airlines at GSP Airport. :D

GSP is actually successful, so I don't see the humor in that. As for projects. Have more projects downtown been successful or failures? Downtown Greenville is probably one of the most successful downtowns for a midsized city. There are cities craving to have what Greenville does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The stakes in that picture look too close to the curb to be survey stakes. They probably represent  something else. 

They’re up around the entire site. Pretty pink ribbons: 

https://i.ibb.co/89tyjzy/306-A82-AC-BE6-B-44-BB-9-DA1-0791-CF77570-F.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/NYZ8zhF/83-E9-CDD4-A12-D-4-A25-942-C-7-A2809-E9-AF11.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/L975BZb/56853-D0-C-7-C10-42-CD-998-E-141310-C298-B4.jpg

Edited by gman430

On 3/22/2022 at 9:46 PM, wellen said:

Title:
A prominent piece of downtown Greenville, vacant for decades, is on the cusp of rebirth

Link:
https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/a-prominent-piece-of-downtown-greenville-vacant-for-decades-is-on-the-cusp-of-rebirth/article_f2b39cf0-a9f7-11ec-9d15-c750952d42f8.html

Looks like this is under contract for sale.  You can read the article for free by downloading the P&C Greenville app on your phone.

Highlight:

"Plan after plan has fallen through over the years but Mayor Knox White said the latest proposal could be the one to come to fruition."

The proposal is "for mixed-use multifamily residences with public and commercial retail space."

Learn more in June...

Learn more in June huh? What month is it again? 

On 6/20/2022 at 4:24 AM, gman430 said:

Absolutely a silly post. Not funny at all. 

12 hours ago, gman430 said:

Learn more in June huh? What month is it again? 

The article states, in June at the earliest. 

They wanted the Canal site. The pain trying to get it just ended up not being worth it though. Notice three different possible schemes in the agenda packet also. 16 floors and nine floors is what they’re currently looking at doing. Still wish it was taller and didn’t look like the McClaren. 

Developer: https://www.nrinvestments.com

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

I'm happy to see new developments downtown, but this is yet another example where high-quality, timeless architecture should be used, not "2020 Charlotte Box" architecture.

This is yet another building that will be dated in a few years, whenever trends change, and it will be unfashionable then, but we'll be stuck with it.  People thought that the Greenville News building that was built in the 1960s, and the Daniel Building, were "all that" when they were first built, but their style didn't last, and we were stuck with eyesores.

At a minimum, I hope that the developer is building the building so that its exterior can be updated pretty easily once trends change.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Any idea if this will be rental or ownership units, or both?  

All rentals is the current plan. 300 units total. 15% are to be studio, 20% are to be studios that have additional small space, 20% are to be one-bedroom and 45% are to be two-bedroom. Very similar to Deca at Camperdown minus having no three bedroom units. 

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

That link has some very interesting views of the renderings and massing... I like the "fresh and hip and with-it and new and now" aspect of it, but I worry that it won't age well and I'm still tired of boxes.  Greenville has gotten a couple of really good neo-traditional projects in with the federal courthouse and the Grand Bohemian and I'd really like it if architects would try harder and give us something whose visual interest goes beyond random balcony placement or rows of windows that don't exactly align.  I mean, has a caryatid ever caused you actual, physical pain?  Have you ever been offended by a cornice, or a building with "shoulders"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1