The Gateway Site

gs3

This looks really great! I like the pedestrian bridge. It does, however, look particularly low in the renderings, such that a big truck would not be able to pass under it. I am sure this is just a conceptual image, and would not be to actual scale. Great project, Greenville!

I actually think the Scheme A that was listed would look better.  The Church corner is very open and low scale. the courthouse and UCB building aren't that tall either, so the smaller building on the Church/North corner fits its surroundings better.  The added height of the Church/Beattie corner fits more with the Liberty buildings as well.  I also think the architecture may look very dated in 10 years.  This is a prominent site too, so it matters a lot.  I'm reserving judgement on the McLaren building til its finished but we need to concern how it looks when reviewing this proposal.    

• Like 4

Since this is the Gateway site, wouldn't it be neat to have something like this there?

Admiralty Arch, London, England - June 2009 - Admiralty Arch - Wikipedia

Pie in the sky dream, I know, but it would be neat to have a really impressive, timeless building on the site, which would "wow!" people who are coming into downtown.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The Pedestrian bridge is already there, they are 'decorating' it with the supports.

I'm not so sure... I think they're showing a new bridge. The existing bridge is at a right angle to the street (and is represented in one of the drawings), while this proposed bridge is angled. If the developers want to fund it, great. I'm not sure the City should spend the money to replace an operational bridge. But, I'd have to take a look at the presentation again to be sure. 

11 minutes ago, johnpro318 said:

I was hoping they would build over the street completely (basically tunneling the road). Could of been cool with you actually driving in like that from 385. 

Acknowledging the presumed difficulty of this, there is a certain sense to it: almost certainly a big reason that that parcel has been so difficult is it's having been orphaned by the construction of Beattie Pl. back in the very early 70's, compounded by Beattie going significantly below grade on that side. Building over the road would, in a way, reverse the curse.

It's been a long time since I've been in Boston, but I'm pretty sure there's a high rise more or less directly over one of their freeways. So it's not unprecedented.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Current bridge is highlighted in Blue. Their proposal is in yellow. I think it's all just creative license at this point. 

I'm surprised that they can't do something else to improve the existing pedestrian bridge and add a bridge over Church Street which will always be a challenge for pedestrians because of the 2-way street.     They could use the building to get some height for road clearance, but of course would require something major on the other side.

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Since this is the Gateway site, wouldn't it be neat to have something like this there?

Admiralty Arch, London, England - June 2009 - Admiralty Arch - Wikipedia

Pie in the sky dream, I know, but it would be neat to have a really impressive, timeless building on the site, which would "wow!" people who are coming into downtown.

I like the cut of your jib. How do we get you on the urban Design Review Board? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bikeoid said:

I'm surprised that they can't do something else to improve the existing pedestrian bridge and add a bridge over Church Street which will always be a challenge for pedestrians because of the 2-way street.     They could use the building to get some height for road clearance, but of course would require something major on the other side.

Hopefully they will restrict right turns in all directions (where applicable) in order to help make things safer. 

9 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I was hoping they would build over the street completely (basically tunneling the road). Could of been cool with you actually driving in like that from 385. 

This is the Atlanta Financial Center in on GA 400 in downtown Atlanta

tunnel.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well fellas, definitely the best proposal we've seen for this site so we may need to take it. I echo the concerns of others on the architecture, I'd like a different style, but this is the style we've been primarily getting. This one looks better than some. 

Here are the other proposals, hard to tell much, but the first one seems noticeably taller, as it's just one building. I like to see more on that one. It would be nice to finally see a new building over 20 stories. Don't care at all for the middle one.

image.png.02083c97486b74a3109453ca4d8fca0c.png

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Can they not put a 3 or 4 story pyramid with spire on top of one of these boxy developments that lights up at night and can be seen for miles like the PNC building in Raleigh?

https://www.highwoods.com/find-your-space/detail/pnc-plaza

No. You might just have to move to Raleigh. Lol.

• Haha 1