The Gateway Site

gs3

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

DRB is recommending approval with conditions. The height and layout is final. Materials and colors aren’t which will have to get approved at a later date. 

I wish they would have at least looked at the first proposal; it would be nice to have some height over another midrise; but... this is way better than a rotting green fence from a different millennia!

North Tower is 180 feet tall and South Tower is 85 feet tall according to architect at DRB meeting if I heard it right. 

Pedestrian bridge is not part of the development and is just a possible piece that would be built as part of the Cultural Corridor. 

The property next door could be developed in the future as part of a collaboration with this project. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

North Tower is 180 feet tall and South Tower is 85 feet tall according to architect at DRB meeting if I heard it right. 

Pedestrian bridge is not part of the development and is just a possible piece that would be built as part of the Cultural Corridor. 

The property next door could be developed in the future as part of a collaboration with this project. 

Meh, what is that, about the height of the courthouse? Nothing grand, just more mid rise stuff... BUT ... it's not terrible looking and it's the best proposal we've seen for the site... BY FAR. Bring it!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Meh, what is that, about the height of the courthouse? Nothing grand, just more mid rise stuff... BUT ... it's not terrible looking and it's the best proposal we've seen for the site... BY FAR. Bring it!

Pretty sure the courthouse is just over 100 feet so the one tower will be a good bit taller. 

The ONE phase II office building where Brooks Brothers was located is 150 feet tall just to give you some idea. Even though it's only 180 feet tall, it is at the top of the highest elevation in that area so it should stand out nicely. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Just checked the 100 ft plus thread. The courthouse is 128. 180 ft will put it b/w Towers East and Two Liberty Sq. 

Still only have 4 buildings over 200 ft.

I'm sure they'll let you use your money and build one sir.(pun intended):tw_wink: Look. I know some of us want something taller, including me. But unless we have and are willing to invest the money to build such a building we have to be grateful with what we're getting. It's their money. They're taking all of the risk. They could be building nothing at all. Lots of cities aren't building currently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, motonenterprises said:

I'm sure they'll let you use your money and build one sir.(pun intended):tw_wink: Look. I know some of us want something taller, including me. But unless we have and are willing to invest the money to build such a building we have to be grateful with what we're getting. It's their money. They're taking all of the risk. They could be building nothing at all. Lots of cities aren't building currently.

Obviously if I, or any of us, had the money to build stuff we'd build it the way we wanted, and maybe those ideas would make for an interesting thread. But we can only discuss things as they are since we don't have that kind of money. The whole purpose of the forum is to discuss developments in our city or state. If we only posted "I'm happy to be getting anything at all" for every development it would be a very boring and brief forum and probably wouldn't have lasted very long. Our discussions show we are interested in the "how, when, and what" of developments, not just the fact they are happening.

I tend to be pretty critical of architecture (for example) but that is just me; I also am usually quick to point out I like the scope or quality of a particular project though, and I just think the architecture should match (for example the Bohemian) . Obviously in real life, that's not going to happen much, but it's a development forum so you have to expect people to inject some idealism and personal preference for styles. I've said before I don't care all that much about huge tall skylines, but I would like to see Greenville get a new tallest in my lifetime and redo the Daniel building. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate other development or expect Greenville to be the next Dubai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Did the DRB approve the plans?

In terms of massing and site plan yes. It was a 4-0 vote. The building materials, landscaping, and lighting will have to come back to the DRB at a later date for approval. The developer is working with the SCDOT to do what they can along the edges of the roadways. Obviously there are limitations with what they’ll allow due to traffic flow and what not. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Obviously if I, or any of us, had the money to build stuff we'd build it the way we wanted, and maybe those ideas would make for an interesting thread. But we can only discuss things as they are since we don't have that kind of money. The whole purpose of the forum is to discuss developments in our city or state. If we only posted "I'm happy to be getting anything at all" for every development it would be a very boring and brief forum and probably wouldn't have lasted very long. Our discussions show we are interested in the "how, when, and what" of developments, not just the fact they are happening.

I tend to be pretty critical of architecture (for example) but that is just me; I also am usually quick to point out I like the scope or quality of a particular project though, and I just think the architecture should match (for example the Bohemian) . Obviously in real life, that's not going to happen much, but it's a development forum so you have to expect people to inject some idealism and personal preference for styles. I've said before I don't care all that much about huge tall skylines, but I would like to see Greenville get a new tallest in my lifetime and redo the Daniel building. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate other development or expect Greenville to be the next Dubai.

I gotcha. I wasn't busting your chops or nothing like that. It was all in fun I promise. I want that signature building too and also want the Daniel Building to be redone. But a 15 story or whatever level it is there is definitely better than an ugly empty grass lot, or the low rise the Charlotte developer was wanting to build. Perhaps we aren't quite ready for that new 30 or 40 story building yet. The investor is going to do their best not to lose by overbuilding.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Is your post just based on b*******?

Indeed. If there's evidence to share that something is no longer in the works, then please share it with the group. Construction is not expected to start for MONTHS from now. Why would one start rumors our of impatience? 

If we reach summer 2023 without dirt being moved, then I think one can question what's going on. Let the developers and designers do their work. 

• Like 2