The Gateway Site

gs3

4 minutes ago, gman said:

The City of Greenville and the developer is making a big deal out of this project being called an "Entertainment District." Dumb question, I am sure. How will this new project bring entertainment to that area? The new plaza?

Plaza will likely be used to host pre-event activities, similar to what was built on Field St

53 minutes ago, gman said:

The City of Greenville and the developer is making a big deal out of this project being called an "Entertainment District." Dumb question, I am sure. How will this new project bring entertainment to that area? The new plaza?

I think it’s just associating itself with the arena, and the ‘district’ that the city hopes will evolve around it. The addition of restaurants is certainly going to help collect additional revenue off of events.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Just saw this on WYFF. I agree, the taller one is good to go, let's finally make it happen. The shorter one... needs some serious help; I hope the DRB will ask for some changes on that one.

Are there any hotel rooms planned for this? If they are trying to make it an "entertainment" development wouldn't that be an important aspect?

A hotel is not planned at this time. I wish the developers would buy the Canal buildings next door and put a high rise hotel there. I feel like one would do well at this site with the arena events.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In general, staff finds the material and palette of the architecture facing the public realm to meet all the requirements of the design guidelines. The interior courtyard and building facades facing that courtyard may require further study.

Therefore, staff recommends approval with the following conditions:

1. A full-scale material mock-up shall be reviewed and approved by two members of DRB and staff prior to issuance of the CA. The mock-up must include all materials and colors and must remain in place on site throughout construction.

2. As the internal plaza will be publicly accessible, and is not solely for residents, activation through material, furnishings, balconies, etc. shall be further studied and reviewed and approved by two-members of the DRB and staff prior to issuance of the CA.

3. Rear garage entry elevation and material to be reviewed and approved by two members of the DRB and staff prior to issuance of the CA.

4. Building crown and its lighting effects to be reviewed and approved by two members of the DRB and staff prior to issuance of the CA.

5. Architectural lighting selections shall be reviewed and approved by two members of the DRB and staff prior to issuance of the CA.

6. Seating wall adjacent to Beattie retaining wall shall either be removed or ensure that 42” safety railing height is not violated.

7. Per the recent Section 19-1.11 LMO Text Amendment, an Affidavit of Substantial Compliance must be signed and notarized by the property owner prior to the issuance of the Certificate of Conformity.

8. This CA is considered a specific site development plan. As such, the CA issued for this project shall be subject to Land Management Ordinance Section 19-2.2.14 Lapse of approval/vested rights and the Vested Rights Act, Article 11, of Chapter 29, Title 6, of the Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976 (S.C. Code §§ 6-29-1510 et seq.). The CA shall be valid for a period of two years from the date of approval by the Board. The Vested Right shall be granted up to five annual extensions upon a written request for an extension that must be received from the applicant at least sixty (60) days before expiration, unless any change or amendment to the land development ordinance or regulations of the City of Greenville’s Code of Ordinances were to be amended that would no longer allow execution of the site-specific development plan. At any time during the two-year period or any subsequent Vested Rights extensions, the applicant may be granted a building permit from the City Building Official. Should the CA expire at any time prior to the application for a building permit, such permit shall not be issued until a current CA is provided.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/new-renderings-design-review-board-to-evaluate-updated-gateway-project-greenville-sc/

Some onfo about the upcoming session on 4/6 with some additional renderings, including some of the lighting and artwork. 

image.png.6bb91155fa184fb805a888d0f079359d.png

image.png.94f46834ef85d856f5dcfbd44ecfc84b.png

image.png.8bfbd508a746c148e70f76c2fa911f6f.png

Let's get this one done (just ammend the shorter one of course).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/22/2023 at 11:50 PM, distortedlogic said:

Some hotel rooms on site sounds like a no brainer here with the well next door. It wouldn't have to be hundreds of rooms but even a few dozen seems like it should be automatic with this development.  Could also be a good way to make that shorter building taller and more interesting.  

This smaller building looks totally out of place in this rendering.

image.thumb.png.9663588012ff9a99371e46b4ae244edc.png

Its almost like an afterthought or like they needed something to do with leftover material. The development would be better without it altogether if they can't integrate it better than that.

The taller building should look quite impressive coming in on 385 looking up the hill!

Those red lights and power lines ruin the view of everything.

4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

:angry:

I mean the building isn't perfect but it looks a million times better than most of the modern boxes they seem to have no problem with. Come on people, seriously?!

Hey, we’ve waited for 25 years for something, what’s another 5-10 years? Instead of nitpicking you would think the board would be pleading for them to start construction. 

16 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I’m confused. The last building of similar material and design is one that most of you all absolutely hate — The McClaren. Why the haste? Perhaps the board has learned a lesson? Idk, but maybe. 

What lesson was there for them to learn? How are we supposedly experts at what's more of a right fit than them? Personal opinions on UP don't make us experts. I like the McClaren building. I trust Greenville leadership over opinions on a forum. Greenville is very successful. More successful than it should be I'd argue. A city and area that has no beach, isn't the capital; isn't a college town, but is still growing like a wildfire. They are doing a great job.

Edited by motonenterprises
  • Like 2