The Gateway Site

gs3

The original plan looked more attractive and less "cheap", in my opinion. The density is nice, but the new "face" of the project is a bit disappointing.

I like it better than the old design because it doesn't have that round end element anymore like a lot of area wide projects over the last few years seem to have had.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It could be that the planning staff was going to recommend denial so they pulled it to continue design work until they had something they felt confident would get DRB approval.

Okay, but why would it be denied?  This is, by far, the best proposal for this site since it became vacant 20 years ago.  It seems to utilize the difficult shape of the lot nicely.  Additional apartments built in an urban fashion are a great solution, so I can't imagine that the DRB is having trouble getting behind this proposal.  If the DRB denies this, they are basically saying that nothing is good enough there.

The staff recommendations seemed to have been taken into consideration. This may have more to do with demand than design. Any developer considering new apartments in the market must look at the volume of proposals and wonder if the demand (in the near future) will remain strong enough to support their own investment.

The staff recommendations seemed to have been taken into consideration. This may have more to do with demand than design. Any developer considering new apartments in the market must look at the volume of proposals and wonder if the demand (in the near future) will remain strong enough to support their own investment.

In other words it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Sounds like cold feet maybe? Nothing new for this site. :(

As much as I wanna see that site developed, I'd hate to be the last complex in line to opens it's doors. Just out of curiosity, would a convention center on this site make sense?

I don't think this would be an ideal spot for a convention center just by virtue of the fact that the location is isolated in nature. Well lets back this up. It could work. Well the Auditorium was there and you have parking. Well at this point, thats it. You would have to make the area more accessible and the issues are still close hotel rooms. Yeah, some will same that the Hyatt, Holiday Inn Express, and the other hotels will could fill that need. But the journey from Main to Church along Beattie or down North St., is not nice. There is just nothing to see. These are some of the reasons why the site has sat empty so long. In thinking about what I just said. I will have to go back to my original comment. This is not an ideal location. In my opinion.

As much as I wanna see that site developed, I'd hate to be the last complex in line to opens it's doors. Just out of curiosity, would a convention center on this site make sense?

They aren't the last complex in line though. The Beach Company and Flournoy apartment projects are slated tis start construction later than this one.

An official at City Hall doesn’t know for sure, but he suspects it’s just an unplanned delay.

There is an old street that runs through the site, and the developer needs to have it abandoned, a process that’s proving more cumbersome than originally thought, this official told me.

This official thinks it’s still a go.