Double Oaks Apartments

lukedog

It was reported that the Double Oaks Apartments are up for sale. With over 60 acres of land, the city is thinking about knocking everything down and building over 1,000 homes. This land is in North Charlotte next to Statesville and just one street across from N. Graham. Does anyone know if the city will be responsible for doing this or if any private investors would be involved? Also, do you think this will be a catalyst for putting North Charlotte on the map for gentrification (this is the last area outside uptown Charlotte)?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gentrification of this area started a few years ago...Double Oaks would be the last project in this area to complete the gentrification. This will be done by a private non-profit development group that would be seeking some city assistance to make this happen. Oaklawn of today is much different than it was just 5 years ago.

The gentrification of this area started a few years ago...Double Oaks would be the last project in this area to complete the gentrification. This will be done by a private non-profit development group that would be seeking some city assistance to make this happen. Oaklawn of today is much different than it was just 5 years ago.

The same development company that is proposing the Double Oaks development is the same one that went through and renovated homes in Genesis Park, made possible the Saussy Homes project on Oaklawn, is redeveloping the old "heroin apartments" along Oaklawn, is starting on redeveloping Druid Hills that will be renovations as well as a new park surrounded by new development.

If this company is succusful with Double Oaks then they will be responsible for the wholesale change of the neighborhoods along Oaklawn from 77 to Statesville Ave.

The same development company that is proposing the Double Oaks development is the same one that went through and renovated homes in Genesis Park, made possible the Saussy Homes project on Oaklawn, is redeveloping the old "heroin apartments" along Oaklawn, is starting on redeveloping Druid Hills that will be renovations as well as a new park surrounded by new development.

If this company is succusful with Double Oaks then they will be responsible for the wholesale change of the neighborhoods along Oaklawn from 77 to Statesville Ave.

Yeah I didn't realize all that was/has gone on there until yesterday when there was a presentation about this at the City Council meeting. They showed a map of all the projects they had done and plan to do in the area and just about all of Oaklawn was highlighted from 77 to Statesville Ave. It is pretty impressive everything the Housing Partnership has taken on in that area of town.

I live in those Saussy houses off Oaklawn and I have been in Charlotte long enough to know that this little area of town was once one of the rougher areas there was. Now its not perfect of course, but things have changed a lot in a short period of time and I hope they continue to do so. I constanly drive down Statesville through the Double Oaks area and think how much more improvement this area could see if it was redeveloped. All of the developements and things being discussed here only point to positive momentum. Whatever developer is making all this happen has made a huge impact.

I drive down Graham and Statesville all the time from North Charlotte. One in part because it is actually a quicker commute for me than 85/77 during rush hour. Two because I absolutely love the view upon entering the city. I have always believed this will be one of the next areas to get redeveloped simply because the views are great, and the proximity makes it a no brainer from a developers stand point. I think in 5-10 years it will become more and more like Southend.

As for those who were living in the projects that existed before, where The Park at Oaklawn sits now with the Saussy Homes, most of them are still there assuming they passed the background checks that are required to living in the low income housing Crosland built(which is nicer than any affordable housing I've seen).

I'm sure there are ways of dealing with this, but weren't the Double Oaks projects built on top of an old WWII-era landfill? If so, redevelopment could be tricky...when I was growing up, I had family living near there, some of whom remembered when Double Oaks was originally constructed, and as often as the social problems there were discussed, so were the structural issues of the place.

• 2 weeks later...

The large field on Statesville right next to Greenville, before you get to Double Oaks is finally being developed it appears. A sign has recently appeared claiming a retail center going in called 'Greenville Place'. 1,200sf-14,000sf available 2008. Not much info, but something going on there. That area could only sit empty for so long I guess.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Speaking to people that have been the subject of her interviews, she forms a conclusion, and then tries to fill in the gap with research, with much of it landing on the cutting room floor that doesn't fit per pre-determined notion.

As far as this article, I was left wondering what her implication was. Without this line, 'It's no accident that some slum further away from Uptown wasn't chosen for this particular "redevelopment" ', I would have thought she wanted it to be left alone, but is seems that she at least recognizes is as substandard housing that is plagued by crime. The city's strategy of redevelopment makes sense, because these types of projects work where there is large demand. What developer is willing to partner with the city to redevelop Boulevard Homes? Probably none, until the areas adjacent to it are improved first.

I don't want to veer to far :offtopic: but Charlotte CL is the worst "alternative" paper I have ever read. Charleston's City Paper, Asheville's Mountain Xpress and ATL's CL put's them to shame. Most of their cover stories are not even relevant to Charlotte and almost everything is ads. They are not strong advocates for alternative culture in this town . Every once in a great while they have an interesting story but mostly their attention is geared towards the party crowd bar crawlers. I am not a big fan of Tara Servatius either and her lecture on Double Oaks. She thinks she is on some pedestal above everyone else in this town and has some amazingly profound insight into city issues. All she really does is regurgitate the Rhino viewpoint in pseudo intellectual terminology.

I don't want to veer to far :offtopic: but Charlotte CL is the worst "alternative" paper I have ever read. Charleston's City Paper, Asheville's Mountain Xpress and ATL's CL put's them to shame. Most of their cover stories are not even relevant to Charlotte and almost everything is ads. They are not strong advocates for alternative culture in this town . Every once in a great while they have an interesting story but mostly their attention is geared towards the party crowd bar crawlers. I am not a big fan of Tara Servatius either and her lecture on Double Oaks. She thinks she is on some pedestal above everyone else in this town and has some amazingly profound insight into city issues. All she really does is regurgitate the Rhino viewpoint in pseudo intellectual terminology.

Archived