New NC Plate

CarolinaDaydreamin

^ have you ever seen Kentucky's tags? They are hideous. The tag was designed by children, which IMO don't know anything about this kind of thing (colors, contrast, etc). Infact, they are so ugly that sales of speacialty tags have soared. Other states are catching on to this money making scheme, and I don't like it. SC now wants to create a new tag that is designed by kids.... <_<

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^

The Delaware plates look cool I think; it's one of the pre-1962 designs used in the state, brought back as a specialty plate (1956 is when the sizes and dimensions were standardized for all states).

NC could do that - post-10268-1177689309_thumb.jpg - I don't like this old silver on maroon design, but the fonts are nice, no other state uses them, and something more retro would be distinctive. I don't think simple designs need to be ugly - I think I'd be in the minority of opinion, but I remember the gold-on-navy design California used for about 15 years, and it was bold, unique, good colors, and easy to read. Some of the graphic-designed plates most states now use remind me too much of airbrush t-shirts.

• 2 weeks later...

The NC House has passed a bill to have a contest to completely redesign the NC Plates. I do not remember hearing if it was a contest for children or just a contest at large. I assume the Senate must now pass their version of this bill before anything further happens.

So, for those of us disappointed with the RED letter plates, we may not have to wait too long until we get something new.

The NC House has passed a bill to have a contest to completely redesign the NC Plates. I do not remember hearing if it was a contest for children or just a contest at large. I assume the Senate must now pass their version of this bill before anything further happens.

So, for those of us disappointed with the RED letter plates, we may not have to wait too long until we get something new.

I actually like the current design (with blue characters). It's been consistent for so long that it's approaching "retro" status, and there's something appealing to me about that kind of continuity across generations. Also, it makes it REALLY easy to recognize an NC plate in a crowd because they're much more uniform than in other states. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of playing design games with this kind of thing, especially if it's purely for publicity purposes (like the redesign of our currency, which IMO has become a visibility tool for the Mint).

As for the lettering change, I think the red looks horrible. It's hard on the eyes and doesn't go very well with the white background. It reminds me of a New York Giants home jersey, which puts it in dubious company indeed.

^ have you ever seen Kentucky's tags? They are hideous. The tag was designed by children, which IMO don't know anything about this kind of thing (colors, contrast, etc). Infact, they are so ugly that sales of speacialty tags have soared. Other states are catching on to this money making scheme, and I don't like it. SC now wants to create a new tag that is designed by kids.... <_<

Prior to the smiley plate, Kentucky's plate had a drawing of the twin spires of Churchill Downs in the center. The religious far right was in an uproar because of its association with gambling. The state had a plain white decal created that could be placed over the spires without covering the numbers or letters. They gave it away free to those who wanted it. The lesson is - no matter what design is chosen, someone will find something to complain about.

As a grown man, I could not and would not ride around with smiling "sunshine" on my tag, My girlfriend and other friends have confirmed with me that I'm an a**hole sometime on the interstate, so it wouldn't be a good look for me...Kentucky lost on that one lmao.. Come to think of it, the whole "Smiling Faces" moniker for South Carolina doesn't fit my driving style either.

Anyway, as a former NC resident, I must say I was not impressed with the new tags I've seen down here, looks like Mass tags, bring back the ole' blue!!

Oh great, so I finally mostly decided to switch state allegiances to NC and you people change the license plates??? Whatever!!!

As a grown man, I could not and would not ride around with smiling "sunshine" on my tag, My girlfriend and other friends have confirmed with me that I'm an a**hole sometime on the interstate, so it wouldn't be a good look for me...Kentucky lost on that one lmao.. Come to think of it, the whole "Smiling Faces" moniker for South Carolina doesn't fit my driving style either.

Anyway, as a former NC resident, I must say I was not impressed with the new tags I've seen down here, looks like Mass tags, bring back the ole' blue!!

• 3 weeks later...

Legislators are now complaining about how ugly the "new" tags are. A bill was introduced recently to have a competition for a new tag altogether. I actually like the old "First in Flight" tag. It won all sorts of design awards when it was introduced in 1982. The red lettering, however, ruins it. It should have stayed Carolina Blue!

I really haven't understood what all the fuss is about. It's a piece of metal attached to the back of my car so that it can be quickly identified as needed. As long as it serves its purpose and is usable, the color of the letters is irrelevant. (IMO) It's

an insult to me as a taxpayer to hear that our legislators are spending time even discussing it. Aren't there more pressing issues within the state government they need to decide than what color is used on the tags of our cars or what picture is there?

I really haven't understood what all the fuss is about. It's a piece of metal attached to the back of my car so that it can be quickly identified as needed. As long as it serves its purpose and is usable, the color of the letters is irrelevant. (IMO) It's

an insult to me as a taxpayer to hear that our legislators are spending time even discussing it. Aren't there more pressing issues within the state government they need to decide than what color is used on the tags of our cars or what picture is there?

Legislators are now complaining about how ugly the "new" tags are. A bill was introduced recently to have a competition for a new tag altogether. I actually like the old "First in Flight" tag. It won all sorts of design awards when it was introduced in 1982. The red lettering, however, ruins it. It should have stayed Carolina Blue!

Well then, let's start clearcutting if it impedes with development, stop mowing any grass along any highway, etc. North Carolina's claim to fame is its beauty, and its signage that includes over 8,000,000 tags that people are forced to look at every day on the roads is definitely part of that.

Demanding a better looking plate at the minimum is an issue of civic pride.

I just saw the red lettered tags here in NYC yesterday, and all I can is that you guys should be holding protest marches against that monstrocity (sp?). That thing is HIDEOUS.

Archived