New NC Plate

CarolinaDaydreamin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People only despise the red because it's new. In ten years, people will wonder what all the fuss was about. At least it matches the color of the "First in Flight" lettering. If it were purple or orange, THEN I could see a reason to really kick up dust about it.

NC used to have a slogan that they were the good road state -and well that is a joke anymore, isnt it? I doubt that the kind of license tag NC has bears any weight in what folks REALLY think about our state. Mowing grass and keeping roads fixed are different matters totally than the tag we buy to stay in compliance with the law so our cars can be identified. It is no more important than the image that was placed on the back of the quarters for each state...Fun yes, interesting , perhaps...but not something to make a big fuss over IMO (and mind you-this is just my own opinion) I dont think the tags, the new or old way are "hideous". I live here and have a great deal of civic pride...but that doesnt come from my license tag. It comes from the people that live here and from the communities within.

IMO, the old plate design has been around long enough to have a sort of branding identity. People in other states know what NC tags look like because they never change... some people have grown up only seeing one kind of NC plate. I would greatly prefer if they went back to blue lettering and left it alone; the design is fine, it's just the coloring that's thrown off by the red numbers.

IMO, the old plate design has been around long enough to have a sort of branding identity. People in other states know what NC tags look like because they never change... some people have grown up only seeing one kind of NC plate. I would greatly prefer if they went back to blue lettering and left it alone; the design is fine, it's just the coloring that's thrown off by the red numbers.

I guess Flith is the only one who caught my link for the specialized NC plates. :rolleyes:

So I will give it again: NC specialized plates

I got mine just yesterday in the mail and 2 other family members got specialized plates also....

I have seen the "Blue Ridge Parkway" and "Appalachian Trail" plates many times here in Greensboro. I opted for the "Coastal Federation" plate though. I am starting to see other specialized plates......people are discovering them.

While the specialized plates certainly are cool and its good that the money goes to a good cause, I still think NC needs an attractive standard plate. Either change the lettering back to blue or totally redesign the plate - that's what I say.

If I had to pick a specialized plate, however, I'd pick either "Friends of the Smokies", "Blue Ridge Parkway", or the UNC plate.

While the specialized plates certainly are cool and its good that the money goes to a good cause, I still think NC needs an attractive standard plate. Either change the lettering back to blue or totally redesign the plate - that's what I say.

If I had to pick a specialized plate, however, I'd pick either "Friends of the Smokies", "Blue Ridge Parkway", or the UNC plate.

^That's a great idea. Part of NC's draw for many are the mountains to the left and the ocean to the right. NC could take inspiration from New York's plate which has Niagara Falls to the upper left and NYC on the upper right. Mountains on the left, ocean on the right. It'd fit perfectly.

• 1 year later...

Red is out, Blue is Back! After receiving requests from motor vehicle customers and complaints from law enforcement about the red lettering being more difficult to read, the DMV will switch back to Blue lettering after the remaining 1.1 million plates in stock are distributed. These plates should be distributed by mid-October.

Read the article from the Winston-Salem Journal here.

Now if we could just get them to redesign this 25 yr old relic!

Red is out, Blue is Back! After receiving requests from motor vehicle customers and complaints from law enforcement about the red lettering being more difficult to read, the DMV will switch back to Blue lettering after the remaining 1.1 million plates in stock are distributed. These plates should be distributed by mid-October.

Read the article from the Winston-Salem Journal here.

Now if we could just get them to redesign this 25 yr old relic!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived