Favorite Triangle area coffee shop

ChiefJoJo

My neighborhood coffee shop, Helios, gets the nod for me.

They serve great coffee of course with tea, espresso and other food and drink choices as well; employees are helpful; atmosphere is great, they host many community events; it's within a short walk from home.

I also like Morning Times on Hargett St, Third Place in Five Points and Three Cups in Chapel Hill.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the time I moved here in the mid 90s until now, I was all about Third Place in Raleigh's Five Points. :thumbsup:

And it still holds a place in my heart, but these days I'm finding myself at Morning Times on Hargett Street more and more often. :)

I also like Global Village on Hillsborough Street alot...but half the time I stop by there, they're closed. :wacko:

I've never like Cup-A-Joe, though, due to the smoke.

Does anyone here remember the old Main Street Cafe in Durham, about 10 years ago? When you're at a coffee shop being entertained by a live Harpsicord player and waited on by a drag queen, you know you're someplace unique! :lol:

When are you trying to go? Depending on their season the hours are different. During the summer they have shorter hours due to NCSU being out. However during the school year they are usually open early morning to late at night during the weekday. The weekends they have shorter hours and I think they are closed on Sundays. Good coffee imo. :) I'm partial to Global Coffee because I'm a student I guess, hehe. Also if you get a chance to go when it's not busy, talk to the owner. He's a pretty interesting guy with some good stories.

- Third Place good coffee, cleaner atmosphere, best food, sucks on Saturday mornings with more kids under 5 than adults.

- Cup a Joe, best on Saturday morning when strong coffee is all that matters and by far the fastest service

- Morning Times, best overall coffee and urban feel, but not a spot to hang out, I hit it M-F on the way to work, Casey is my hero.

- Helios, great scene, good coffee but food seems expensive, service needs to be faster, and those metal chairs are not comfortable. Best place to settle in with a laptop even though all of these places have wifi now. Also meshes well with the general vibe of Glenwood South.

So I am not picking one, they all get their due depending on my needs :thumbsup: but I prefer all these to Global Village, which feels too much like a Caribou or Starbucks...support those independants

• 1 month later...

I'd chime in with another vote for Driade in Chapel Hill. Curiously tucked away in the woods and hidden behind an antique shop on East Franklin St.

But I REALLY like Crema Cafe in Cary now. They roast their own coffee in house and play the coolest music. And of course there's internet WiFi.

They have coupons on the RaleighRewards.com site too that can save you a bit.

I am not sure they are related, but I must say that, just for coffee quality, I say Crema on Fayetteville STreet is my new favorite. I used to say Cup-A-Joe on Hboro, but lately I think they are slipping on quality.

For hanging out, I still like Cup a Joe, Hereghty's, Helio's and Third Place. I also like Sosta downtown. But if I am downtown and want a really good coffee, I go to Crema.

• 1 year later...
About a month ago. 7 is a stupid time because the after dinner crowd can't make it there. Either 2 or like 9-10 make better sense. All of a sudden they can't afford to pay their light bill they say. I call bs....that place is why I have my degree and even my PE...it also serves as a good way to get out during bar hours but not actually have a beer...I am irked obviously.... <_<

sorry mods, I know this well off topic.....the new European Coffee bar might could pick up the business Third Place cast to the street. Dave and Jill have owned it for I don't know, 8 or 9 years I think. They bought it from Rich and Ty and it seemed to work well for all those years. Glenwood needs cozy holes in the wall, so I really hope the new place can at least be in the ball park that Third Place was in.....I am talking as if it is on its way completely out, which I am not told it is...

sorry mods, I know this well off topic.....the new European Coffee bar might could pick up the business Third Place cast to the street. Dave and Jill have owned it for I don't know, 8 or 9 years I think. They bought it from Rich and Ty and it seemed to work well for all those years. Glenwood needs cozy holes in the wall, so I really hope the new place can at least be in the ball park that Third Place was in.....I am talking as if it is on its way completely out, which I am not told it is...

I always thought the Boyettes Automotive shop building would make a great old-world style coffee shop ala Third Place. The right half of the building faced the train yard in a 1903 Sanborn map and has pressed tin ceiling and hardwood floors. The Harrington Street frontage has several windows and doors that could be punched out and/or a patio could be built in the rear to face Humble Pie

Pic Here (not a great pic)

so Cafe Helios is the only game downtown for late night coffee, right? Is Crema open late? Actually, with the demise of Percolator in Quail Corners, Cafe Helios and Crema are about the only places in the whole darn city besides that pernicious chain store from Seattle...

Archived