Winston Factory Lofts

AnEverydayJo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I can definitely see the red water tower becoming a landmark over the next few years. Thanks for the great pics!!

On a side note, the city definitely needs to do something about those unsightly telephone poles. This project would scream class if some black, metal masts were put up on the corners with traffic lights.

I've never posted in the Winston forum before, but I moved to town two months ago and live right next to the factory lofts. I toured them and the gallery lofts, and think both are great projects. The problem I see, and it's a huge one, are the expansive blacktop surface parking lots between these buildings, Main Street, and the RJR building. My building backs up to main street (front on liberty), and even though the storefronts on Main would have plenty of potential for shops, restaurants, or businesses those awful parking lots suck out any urban energy the site would otherwise have. Not being familiar with the business cycle in this town, I wonder what y'all think it will take to fill those lots in with development. It seems to me it will be years (at least a decade) before anything would be done there.

In the meantime the owners (I assume it's Reynolds) could do a lot to energize the area by 1) tearing down the chain link barbwire fences and replacing them with brick, cinderblock, or even wood to hide the lots (also providing better security). This would approximate buildings that come right up to the property line, as are typical in downtowns.

2) Plant street trees around the perimeter

3) Install decorative light fixtures around the perimeter.

Walk from trade street to these buildings at night and you'll see what I mean. Until something is done with those lots I don't see these developments reaching anything near their full potential.

Elton, you hit the nail on the head. Those massive blacktop parking lots are an egregious drain on the vitality and aesthetics of the area. Those massive chain fences are an abomination. It should be easy to do away with those heinous fences. The ocean of black asphalt is a more vexing problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I really love the way this building is turning out and I hope that it leases quickly. I am sure that many people would love to live here and so close to the action. I believe that the way to really get people downtown is through rental units because they are cheaper than buying and give people the opportunity to try out urban living. Anyways more younger people can't afford nor are they ready to purchase so this is a great option.

If he develops the brick building also that will create much traffic in the area with the Winston Factory lofts, this other building and the Gallery Lofts. Turns this old previously vacant area into a cool factory district. Now just to do something with the neighboring parking lots.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Developer, Hugh Shytle is ready to bring apartments to the adjacent RJR Education building. Quote from recent WSJ article re: impact of Biotech Place:

"We plan to develop the Reynolds building right next to us. That will be another 80 or so apartments, and we will certainly need people to fill them,"Property Manager, Amy Foster

Its my favorite of the old abandoned RJR warehouses. Too bad they lowered the smokestack.

post-479-067075300 1276102886_thumb.jpg

post-479-067075300 1276102886_thumb.jpg

Archived