If we're not building office towers...

crowe1856

As a way to add dimension to Greensboro's skyline, and help give the city more of a national identity, what does everybody think of building a monument akin to the St. Louis Arch, Seattle's Space Needle, or heck, even Knoxville's Sun Sphere. Something that would define the city, draw tourism (albeit slight), fill a surface lot, and enhance the skyline.

I'm not advocating we host a Worlds Fair anytime soon, nor do I have money to build such a monument, but I figured I'd put the topic out there for discussion. In a hypothetical world, what should such a monument memorialize, and what would it look like?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a way to add dimension to Greensboro's skyline, and help give the city more of a national identity, what does everybody think of building a monument akin to the St. Louis Arch, Seattle's Space Needle, or heck, even Knoxville's Sun Sphere. Something that would define the city, draw tourism (albeit slight), fill a surface lot, and enhance the skyline.

I'm not advocating we host a Worlds Fair anytime soon, nor do I have money to build such a monument, but I figured I'd put the topic out there for discussion. In a hypothetical world, what should such a monument memorialize, and what would it look like?

I think its a good idea. However Greensboro seems to be to conservative to build something "striking" in its skyline. Its a good idea though because no other major NC cities has a monument like that. Typically at first, they are always viewed as being ugly and out of place like other monuments such as the Eifel Tower. When that was built, the French hated it and thought it to be ugly metal junk. If a large scale monument is built in Greensboro, it will like reflect the city as being the Gate City. So it may me some sort of large gate similar to the St Louis Arch. I dont know.

Just curious, but "gate" to what? St Louis is the gateway to the west at the edge of the Mississippi and, historically, a much more significant city than Greensboro. The arch was built to commemorate Thomas Jefferson's westward expansion. Mentioning Greensboro (or any other NC city) in the same sentence as Paris is equally laughable. And, the Sunsphere in Knoxville, like the Eiffel Tower and the Space Needle before it, was built for a World's Fair. Building a structure such as one of the aforementioned outside of the context of a World's Fair or some other type of event that focuses large, international media exposure on Greensboro would come across as gimmicky and be more of a joke than anything.

^ Matter of timing? NYC was laughable compared to Paris 2 centuries ago. It is the Gateway city due to being a rail hub some time ago. Yes, this topic is a little fanciful/odd, and anything too engineered as a "symbol" for GSO would be gimmicky. As to historical significance, you are probably not aware of it because, as with the rest of NC, you aren't really familiar with it (based on your contributions to other threads here). GSO and the area was the site of revolutionary war battles, and the civil rights movement. International media has occasionally focused on the city, due to it's colisuem (sports), proximity to High Point, leading location for several Asian immigrant groups, O'Henry and a few other important citizens, as well as being on the best cities to live lists (yes, I know these are usually B.S.), a few other assorted things as well that others here know better than myself.

Yes, I think this thread is a bit fanciful...but sometimes it is fun to ponder and consider what Greensboro's monument would be and where it should be located...or not even just Greensboro's...but the Triad as a whole. I dont think that a monument would materialize anytime soon (unless built with private funds)....and I dont think that Greensboro or the Triad as a whole have to be or look similar to other large cities we know...but back to the original question, What would this area's monument be if it had one/was going to build one?

• 2 weeks later...

Just be careful with the design of whatever it might be - you don't want to end up with a 'Peachoid' that looks like a huge butt in the sky.

I don't think Greensboro wants to claim the dude (Rick Dees), but a big Disco Duck would be very ( :shades: ), to some of us at least.

Archived