River House Apartments Progress

vdogg

Luxury apartments planned for Lafayette site

S.L. Nusbaum Realty plans to develop a $39 million luxury apartment complex on the shores of the Lafayette River that will mark the end of the Lafayette Motor Hotel, which neighbors in nearby Colonial Place and Riverview have long called an eyesore. The River House Apartments would be built on 7.5 largely vacant acres at the southern base of the Granby Street Bridge.

There will be 220 apartments, a clubhouse and a pool. Rents will start at about $950 for one-bedroom units and top out at $1,500 for three bedrooms.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Lafayette River Project is Approved

riverhouse550x239.jpg

NORFOLK -- The River House Apartments, a luxury project planned for a largely vacant parcel of land on the Lafayette River, received unanimous approval from the City Council on Tuesday.

The endorsement comes 15 days after the Planning Commission approved the $39 million, 220-unit project, which developers say is on a fast track. On Monday, Nusbaum Realty, the project developer, plans to demolish the Lafayette Motor Hotel to make way for the apartments

Haha, sorry spiker, I had to do it. I had already posted something about this in the norfolk development thread. I didn't want to make a new thread at the time because the renderings were so sketch I couldn't telll if it would be worth it or not. Looks like a good project though. I've got some other things I need to move in here too. :)

I spotted a truck with a pile driver attached, sitting on that property yesterday. That's pretty much it. It'll give me a new perspective on 'fast track' development around here, as the site is en route during my daily commute. . . I hope the finished building will compliment the condos going up on the other side of Granby St.

I spotted a truck with a pile driver attached, sitting on that property yesterday. That's pretty much it. It'll give me a new perspective on 'fast track' development around here, as the site is en route during my daily commute. . . I hope the finished building will compliment the condos going up on the other side of Granby St.

Well, it won't win any awards for design. That said I love the reading the comments on the pilot, they're apartments and Ethan O. is going on and on about condos and several others too. Ethan O. is like the crazy guy with a placard around his neck screaming, 'the the end is nigh, time to repent before the Lord!' Usually, I just ignore stupidity, but today was too hard, lol.

Well, it won't win any awards for design. That said I love the reading the comments on the pilot, they're apartments and Ethan O. is going on and on about condos and several others too. Ethan O. is like the crazy guy with a placard around his neck screaming, 'the the end is nigh, time to repent before the Lord!' Usually, I just ignore stupidity, but today was too hard, lol.

To give you guys some perspective I took some photos of tanners landing and layfayette motor hotel across the street. Dulcinea, the cranes you are referring too are actually in the parking lot of the apartment complex behind the hotel. I'm not sure if they are staging there for this project or not. Also, will be 5 buildings built. 1 on top of where the hotel sits and the other 4 on the vacant land immediately adjacent to it. I will say that after going there in person, some of the residents on the lower floors of that Apt building have some legitimate concerns that the 5-story buildings built on previously vacant land will block their views of the water. It will. That said, that is not enough reason to allow a blighted property to remain vacant and unused just to satisfy the small minority that might have their view blocked.

455844863_06a2461dbc_b.jpg

455830966_bacd4c2394_b.jpg

455830450_5d963def1f_b.jpg

455830648_3231e227b0_b.jpg

455830700_30aa8ea069_b.jpg

455830238_2163bb16f2_b.jpg

455844175_c1099513bd_b.jpg

455830522_fee2e9536b_b.jpg

455830872_eeaafc7db8_b.jpg

455830776_5f3d3f7596_b.jpg

5 five story buildings in that location are going to have a very dramatic impact on the urban feel of the area, even if their current design is subpar.

Those apartments (Lafayette Towers) block a huge amount of view and sunlight from the streets that they sit at the end of (Virginia and Marlyand). They are this huge tan monolith at the end of the block so it is ironic that they of all people would complain about losing water views.

The project looks nice and will hopefully breathe a little life into Riverview. It is a cool area but still very close to some dicey apartments and Park Place. Some of them could use a facelift while others (Delaware Plaza) could use another building on the site. I drive through that area quite a bit on my way to work and look forward to seeing it develop. I am really hoping that some retail finds its way there.

Archived