River House Apartments Progress

vdogg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hotel comes down today :yahoo:

The Lafayette Motor Hotel will see the wrecking ball Monday afternoon to pave the way for over 200 luxury condos.

The building, which sits at the north side of the Granby Street Bridge on Llewellyn Avenue has been a constant eyesore for drivers and residents in the Riverview neighborhood. The hotel, built in 1964, has been the source of neighborhood concerns and complaints for almost a decade.

Granby's ugly duckling turned to dust

Minutes before workers used two backhoes to begin tearing down the Lafayette Motor Hotel, Mayor Paul Fraim cracked a joke. Laughter rang from the crowd of about 150, who gathered Monday to see the 43-year-old building come crashing down.

"Many of you from Colonial Place and Riverview must be feeling a little nostalgic about now," Fraim said with a smile.

For Tel

Across Granby Street from the apartments, a new condominium project is nearly complete. New restaurants have opened, and Levin has purchased the old Riverview Theater and plans to renovate it. "It needs to be saved as a theater," he said.

Oh wow! Ithink I found the Road Warrior article or something, which is where I got the information that it was for sale. Actually, I take that back, there was a site that had theaters all across America, and tehre was an entry for the Riverview. It had a message board, and on the board thwere was some discussion .Someone kept talking about buying it and turning it into a record store... which I dunno, we have Relative Theory and they do a good job.

What I had in mind was more of a live music/entertainment venue with a technical edge to it.

A movie theater wouldn't be bad. I'm surprised no one has gone the route of a digital cinema, and perhaps get permission to run reality shows and stuff on the big screen. Survivor type fans and American Idol heads and the like. Run @ 1080p, it would like fine.

Oh yea, Levin ownes the pink hotel property... as well as a ton of other property in the city.

• 3 months later...
I drove by there today actually at about noon. I don't think I've been down there since before the Tanner's Landing construction. They look great! The River House lot on the other hand is as flat as a pancake. Though I saw some cranes over by the boat slip.

Archived