River House Apartments Progress

vdogg

Actually, it is an urban myth that the Riverview Theater was a Cinerama Theater. Cinerama movies required 3 picture projectors, one audio projector, 4 projectionists and one 'overall' coordinator/synchoronizer projectionist. The only Cinerama theater in Norolk (and Virginia at the time) was the Rosna on 35th Street, which was converted to Cinerama in the early 1960's. The Rosna was part of the original Cinerama U.S. Roadshow release of the movie "How the West was Won" which opened at the Rosna on June 20, 1963 and played for 19 weeks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Project revision Warning! .pdf file.

Highlights. # of structures reduced from 7 to 5. One building moved. Banks were reluctant to finance due to that buildings proximity to Granby Street bridge. Setbacks of Granby street reduced from three feet to 0, which I think should improve the urban feel of the project.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Looks like this project is finally about set to go. That is, unless the equipment and utility materials have been there awhile. I noticed this stuff on site for first time today. Is this a recent development or has it been there for awhile?

Woops, I meant the project across from Tanners Landing, called: The River House Apartments.

• 1 month later...

Riverview theater

Occasional reader and Riverview renter here, de-lurking to post something only mildly related to the River House Apts project. From the July Colonial Place / Riverview civic lead newsletter:

Mr. Richard Levin briefly discussed two issues before the league in June also. The first was the historic designation for the Cruser Place apartment house located on East 39th street which the general membership of the CPRV Civic League voted to support.

The second issue Mr. Levin discussed was the Riverview Theater. He is in the planning stages of the rehabilitation of the Riverview Theater. He was not able to show plans for the theater itself, but he did present his plans for the area directly adjacent to the theater. Mr. Levin is owner by contract for the purchase of this land, which runs from Granby Street to Columbus Ave. It is his intention to use the area in the center of the block as a parking lot. The two lots that are on Columbus Avenue will remain residential lots. There is room for two homes on that space. Right now they are green and each lot travels back 100 feet. When you look at the homes on either side of the vacant lots, you can visualize where the lots end. Mr. Levin assured us that we will not see the parking lot from Columbus Avenue. This city block is unique in that there is commercial on one side and residential on three sides and in the center is a huge square of property. It is on that square of property, in the center, where he hopes to put the parking lot. He also stated that it will be landscaped with a buffer and fully fenced in, thus making sure that neither cars nor people would be able to enter the lot from any area except the Granby Street entrance and therefore, would not be able to exit into the neighborhood in any fashion.

He plans for the theater to be an upscale first class facility. It will be seated, which is different than the open dance hall that was in there in its last opening. Concert hall, upscale live performances, family style events, theater groups, and possible movies are potential leasing tenants, he said. He emphasized that this will be a 7 million dollar project and not a dance hall type venue. He likened it to the Bluebird Theater in Denver, so please google that to get an idea of what he has in mind.

The vacant lot across the street does have room for 44 spaces, but in the future when the theater is a bustling focal point for the Riverview Business District, it might be nice to have little shops or a sidewalk cafe with parking in the back, and not tied down to being parking for the theater. This is a reason for not using the lot across the street.

• 2 weeks later...
Riverview theater

Occasional reader and Riverview renter here, de-lurking to post something only mildly related to the River House Apts project. From the July Colonial Place / Riverview civic lead newsletter:

Link here for the curious. As I said, it's more Riverview-centric than specifically River House, but I found it of interest nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Taners landing condos... I think they are trying to rent out the former for-sale condos, once again at retarded prices.

$2500/mo to rent a 3 bedroom condo, anyone? Bubububut it's got stainless steel appliances?

I know this sounds evil, but it's going to be funny watching these greedy people go into bankruptcy. It can't happen soon enough.

Taners landing condos... I think they are trying to rent out the former for-sale condos, once again at retarded prices.

$2500/mo to rent a 3 bedroom condo, anyone? Bubububut it's got stainless steel appliances?

I know this sounds evil, but it's going to be funny watching these greedy people go into bankruptcy. It can't happen soon enough.

Archived