Newsom to Tenderloin: No morning booze

Charles Pearson

I wonder does Newsom's plan include the bars that open at 6:00 a.m. as well?

Newsom, who reported his own drinking problem earlier this year when he checked into a local rehab out patient program, wants Tenderloin merchants to agree to not sell booze from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. in the TL...in order "to discourage the poor and homeless from drinking..." The program is slated to start this summer...and might be one answer to not having to step over people on my to work...

San Francisco's 42nd Mayor...

newson.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that makes no sense, especially since the earliest I saw most of the bums get up wasn't until 11 the earliest. They were sleeping either on the lawn in front of city hall, or down some alley, but very few seemed to be up between 6-9

To what extent has the Tenderloin been gentrified? I had thought that the tendrils of yuppiedom had at least extended to part of the area. I would guess from the article that much of it remains grubby. It's been quite awhile since I have seen that part of town.

please write a letter, anyway who needs to buy liqour before lunch... I mean even then its early, unless you are gonig to a BYOB restuarant. But honestly, I mean besides hurting business which I am not sure if ti would, but before work gets out 3 the earliest I doubt much time is spent in the liqour store.

i was talking to a friend about this...and both agreed the die-hards or addicts are probably whom Newsom is targeting here...addicts will buy at 6 a.m. when the some corner stores in the TL opens...however, they can always go to SAFEway

...the whole scheme probably needs deeper "re-thought" or "refiguration"...just because corner stores or mom & pop shops in TL won't sell booze or cheap wine from 5 to 11 in the TL doesn't mean they can't walk to nearby hoods South of Market or in lower Nob Hill or the nearest Safeway...

...oh well, it's Sunday and the weather is nice here unlike yesterday when it was rainy and cold, and I should be outside enjoying it...

• 1 year later...

Some good news for The Tenderloin. This week a three-month pilot program called the Good Neighbor Agreement by liquor store owners kickoffed to help clean up the downtrodden area. What will hopefully work to save our urban core where as many as 30,000 live in Single Residential Hotels (SROs)? About half of Tenderloin liquor store owners have stopped selling alcohol before 8 a.m. (thanks to Gavin), are not cashing general assistance (GA) checks and aren't selling brillo that crack smokers use as filters for their pipes. Only one store owner refused to participate in the program...

See C.W. Nevius Column

A few cell phone images of the conference & the TL...

HelpingtheTenderloin.jpg

Archived