Rocky Point Demolition

mod134

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Albeit very delayed, I finally made my trip to Rocky Point. :whistling:

Somewhat recovered from getting home about midnight from a trip to Delaware, I decided this was probably my last shot at this.

With camera in hand, I asked the lone construction worker there a thing or two and I was able to get some pieces of the old sign for my collection as well as some pictures. :camera:

With the sign and the rides now gone, can someone get to work on re-opening the Dinner Hall? :D.

Here are some shots from this afternoon:

dscn2050hx0.jpg

dscn2051dr5.jpg

dscn2052ey5.jpg

dscn2053to8.jpg

dscn2054jn7.jpg

dscn2055ki1.jpg

dscn2056vd6.jpg

dscn2057ih2.jpg

dscn2058gm5.jpg

dscn2059rq0.jpg

That's All Folks!

Fox just had a quick piece on their 10:30 broadcast about Rocky Pt. and what its future may hold. While there has been a vicious cycle of pipe dream condominium proposals, this is an interesting development that I will watch how it unfolds :dontknow:.

(My transcription of the broadcast).

News broadcaster: "It's been a month since the midway was demolished. So what's the future going to look like for the old Rocky Point Amusement Park? Well, the park is already being offered a very big possibility: some big bucks. A developer has offered $25-30 million for the 126-acres. Now the mayor and and some neighbors are very excited about that change. But others aren't quite so enthused."

Patricia Chase (Rocky Point neighbor): "I just don't believe 'em because they never work for the ordinary, middle class person. And that's all I've got to say. I don't believe 'em."

News broadcaster: "The developer plans on mixing both residential and commercial buildings."

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking for some help compiling a list of the bands that played at Rocky Point over the years.

I am listing the date, venue (ie: stage near the flume or the Palladium when available), supporting acts, as well as the name of the tour.

If you only remember seeing a band there and don't have any other info on it, that's fine. As much info as you can is still a great addition to this.

I have a list so far is available here.

• 3 weeks later...

That's great news.

I read something about it here a few days ago. While we can't bring that park back, at least about a 1/3 of the land will be preserved for the residents fo Warwick & RI. I have an idea or two on what will be built at the park's site, but at least the city and state officials were able to get this deal working. ... There were times when they were close to deadlines or there were concerns over where the money would come from and I was worried that the deal would fall through. Thankfully, this was not the case and some significant progress was made.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the update Frankie. (Go Pats! :))

In a sense, I'm glad that this issue is finally settled because it seemed to always be a proposal only to never come to fruition. Of course, it is settled once its in progress, but I must give credit where it is due. More housing or something along those lines on the city's tax rolls and perhaps a scenic view. I'm glad that the city and the federal officials took the initiative and this opportunity to create a place that we can all enjoy with the 40 acres preserved.

I guess they will have to use that road near the water to help with access since the rest of it will be redeveloped with housing or whatever. If I remember correctly you could use that road and not have to go into the amusement park back in the day.

I'm not sure housing would be the best option, given the history of this location. Two hurricanes hit in 1938 and 1955 and was ground zero in the '38 storm. The segment of it in Rocky Point Movie mentions how the location in the event of one of those storms can suffer such extensive damage.

I think that this whole issue has been dragged out far too long for what is probably one of the most prominent waterfront locations on the Eastern coastline. I think that it's also great that the City of Warwick has purchased a plot of land for public use (park?). Housing and marina's and maybe retail/restaurant would be a good use of this land. However, I'm not sure that I approve of the principals involved. Same old names/politics.

• 6 months later...

You know with gas prices as they are, and air fare as it is, and the general craptitude of the flying experience, and the current trend for staycations... This might make a really good location for oh, I don't know, an amusement park!

• 5 weeks later...

When I was a kid we always went to the amusement parks in Cow Hampshire, Story Land and the like. Kids really don't know the difference between those places and Six Flags type places (teenagers might, but not the little ones). Oh and Lincoln Park in Dartmouth and the one at Nantasket Beach in Hull, I forget what it was called.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived