Nappy Headed Hos

monsoon

Why hasn't Don Imus been fired?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should Don Imus be Fired?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is the media operating with a double standard when it comes to Imus?

• Yes
    • No

By now everyone should have heard about Don Imus (MSNBC, CBS) and his arrogant description of the student basketball players at Rutgers as "Nappy Headed Hos". I find this particularly disturbing given that his broadcast goes out over the public airwaves. However what I find even more disturbing is the fact that many of the media are coming to his defense. So far he has only suffered a 2 week suspension.

Now at my place of employment I am required to read understand and sign a document stating that I will treat others at work in an ethical manner. If I had made a statement such as this, I would have been fired in 2 seconds and rightfully so. I know that most major corporations have the same requirements and so to many smaller firms. So why hasn't Imus been fired and why are so many in the media supporting him or at least remaining silent on the matter? If it had been anyone else not affiliated with TV news, they all would be clammering for his head. But in this case we are hearing, yes he did a bad thing but he is a good person. Could it be the $8M the Imus show makes for MSNBC?

What do you think. Is most of the TV media hypocritical when it comes to one of their own?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imus should be fired, never to work in broadcasting again. It is one thing to parody and make reasonable jokes about public figures (making fun of stupid comments, bad policies, etc., but not making fun of their ethnic, religious, orientational or gender backgrounds); it is another thing entirely to make crude, malicious comments about amateur athletes. Imus has shown himself to be the trash that I've always thought him to be and he should be sent to an early retirement. :angry:

I heard that a lot of folks are pressuring CBS Corporation's execs, Imus's flagship station, WFAN's owner and syndicator to cancel his show all together.

On how Imus controversy: This isn't the first time. He called Contessa Brewer, MSNBC weekend anchor, a "fat ass skank" when she was the newsreader for his show back in 2005. He called Gwen Ifill, moderator for the 2004 VP Debates, a "cleaning lady". He should have been fired a long time ago, but I don't think the media are being hypocritical. Talk Radio and broadcasting television are in many ways held by different standards in general by the FCC. From what I've seen radio is basically held to the same standard as cable. Howard Stern would have been fired from terrestial radio a while back until of him leaving because CBS didn't pay him enough money.

Imus should be fired because his show is unlistenable. As far as the comments? Well, he said some stupid things, but he's been saying stupid things for years. He portrays his show as some sort of serious, political thing, then makes the claim it's a comedy show when it's convenient for him. If it truly was a comedy show, he should have told everyone to go screw, but since he sees fit to go on every show and make a bigger chump of himself than he already is, then it should be treated as a serious show, and he should be fired for the comments. I just find it ironic that people like the Rev. Jesse Jackson somehow see fit to comment on this thing when they themselves have said racially insensitive remarks in the past. But, the world is full of hypocrits, why should Jesse be any different....

I had never heard of this guy until the other day. I was watching CNN and Fox News cover it and various people were saying that this language needs to also stop in the rap community. The same words are supported by the major media companied because it brings in a lot of money and in other cases, ratings. Nothing's going to change though.

Let me quote a few other people that haven't received the same kind of negative attention as Imus.

B*tches ain't sh*t but hoes and tricks

or how about

Everywhere i go i see some hatin @ss hoes

then there is

'Cause you gotta dog a hoe whenever you can

or more direct to the point

You's a nappy headed havin', hoe

and

I can't stand no sneaker-wearin nappy head beotch

I had never heard of this guy until the other day. I was watching CNN and Fox News cover it and various people were saying that this language needs to also stop in the rap community. The same words are supported by the major media companied because it brings in a lot of money and in other cases, ratings. Nothing's going to change though.

Let me quote a few other people that haven't received the same kind of negative attention as Imus.

Who said all this dispicable things?

1. Snoop Dogg

2. Ying Yang Twins

3. 2 Live Crew

4. BO$$

5. 2Pac

Not only did none of these people get in trouble for this (ok, 2 Live Crew did until the Supreme Court ruled in their favor), but they have all made millions for disparaging women with far worse things than I quoted here. I agree with the Jason Whitlock article 110%, the problem isn't some washed up old white man making a lame joke that was insensative, but the problem is what is accepted as part of black culture within the community.

And just for the record before someone says that black on black comments are acceptable, I quote The Terrorists.

Oh, that's art <_<

I tried listening to Imus a few years back because my grandmother liked him, but I found his stuff pretty much unlistenable gibberish. One thing that struck me as terribly unprofessional for any kind of broadcaster was dead air while he read something silently.

That being said, I think he stepped over the lines of good taste, but at least he apologized for it. Give him a suspension and move on. In the greater scheme of things, it isn't a big deal.

I thought I could live with the argument that Imus' comments were specific to real individuals and so being slightly different than rap lyrics or the onstage material for a number of black comedians (not just Pryor, come on now), but then I remembered how another person, Ann Coulter, was allowed to call someone a f@ggot which was received in quite a different way than Imus' remarks now. She is in no danger of losing her job, having to apologize numerous times, etc. The PCness has gone too far here. The guy should have lost his show sometime ago because it sucks, not because he simply chose the wrong demographic to insult.

If we want to call him a racist, for example, it is not because of his nappy haired ho comment, it should be because he remarked to a caller on Sharpton's show, "You just can't talk to these people", or something similar to that, can't remember exactly. Now that indicates how he really feels.

Imus should be fired. To me, comparing this situation to rap music is ridiculous and just shows how people love to pick on rap (and I'm not a fan of rap music as I believe most of it is garbage---but so is most pop and rock music). What do rappers and 50 year old white guys have to do with each other?

To me, Bill Maher is good at pushing the boundaries of race without crossing over. Imus is not. But forget the race angle for a second. Women are denigrated in this society too much in my opinion (and to be honest, too many women give in to these stereotypes). His jokes were more than in poor taste. These young girls have to deal with guys referring to them as hoes and sluts (and white guys do it right along with the black guys) all the time. As a shock jock, he doesn't compare with Howard Stern. Shoot, he's not even Fred Toucher for that matter (our Atlanta and Boston people will know him). He's a wannabe and he should be fired.

Sorry, I haven't had my coffee yet and it's early so I can't write.

I find it baffling that some think that there is absolutely no outcry against the negative elements of hip hop from the Black community (including Jesse and Al). Those types of stories simply don't get the press that something more sensationalist might get.

Imus should be fired. To me, comparing this situation to rap music is ridiculous and just shows how people love to pick on rap (and I'm not a fan of rap music as I believe most of it is garbage---but so is most pop and rock music). What do rappers and 50 year old white guys have to do with each other?

I think there are two differences between Imus and Rap music.

First Imus also wants to pass himself off as a serious news commentator on MSNBC and CBS radio. If he wants to play in this territory then he is going to be held to a higher standard than someone spewing out Rap music. He can't use the excuse that he is a "shock jock" or he is a hypocrite.

But more important, Imus used the public airwaves to attack specific individuals with some of the most offensive remarks in our society. The women, who were very accomplished individuals and deserving of our admiration for having gone to college and also winning a basketball tournament, were instead attacked by a representative of the media. Their only offense... they didn't appeal to Imus's sense of what a woman should look like. For this alone he should be fired.

This is my point. They have nothing in common. Why should a 50-yeard old white guy's comments really bother anyone. Isn't the point of a shock jock to be disparaging. I don't listen to him, I haven't listened to Stern in 10 years. He is an entertainer who is pretty much paid to ridicule people. I'm absolutely not defending him, because I don't really see how his show benefits societyin the least.

HOWEVER, to give a free pass to all the trash that is passed off as music, yet then want to condemn some announcer is the most ridiculout thing I have ever heard. Again, the lyric about taking a bat to the head of a honky is instigating violence, hatred, and the most blatant form of racism possible. I seriously doubt Imus' remarks were intended to insite violence towards these young women.

Like Jason Whitlock said, the easy target is the rich old white man who has a poor sense of humor, the bigger problem is glamorization of violent and deragatory streotypes that is harmful to people of all cultures....and please no one tell me that its just lyrics and that it doesn't translate into real life, because I ride the subway and bus several times a day, and I'm indulged with a constant converstaion consisting of "hoe, peppermint, skankass-beotch, muthafudgea, etc. etc. etc. etc." and they people muttering these words don't look at all like Imus.

So, fire Imus, that' fine, but please stop playing any music that is disparaging to black women as well, then we can be consistent, and maybe things will start to change.

I am African American and am in full agreement with altrvr. It is pass time for our annointed black leaders Jesse and Al to take a look the effects rap music is having on kids, black, white, brown etc. I actually think that rap/hip hop is far more destructive to the self esteem of black children then anything muttered by that fool Imus. Imus is a second rate mumbling windbag who does not deserve all the attention. Instead of focusing so much attention, money and energy on Imus, why not redirect that energy in areas that matter like combating black on black crime, teenage pregnancy, and the glorification of underachieving in school etc.

Good arguments on both sides, but the uproar against Imus is still lopsided - it is [apparantly] OK to degrade/insult Homosexuals and Jews, for example. And also to be afraid to place blame on the communities in which we hear this language the most. It has been refreshing to hear on the radio several mornings this week black callers voicing this sentiment, because the rest of society is too afraid to say this (beyond their friends and family). Either we accept that at the end of the day these are all just words or we hold the same standard to everyone, whether you are a "50 year old white guy" or a black rapper.

Archived