Where's Your "Third Place"?

dragt

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of videos...I am being dogged by a retired municipal attorney (too much free time, "deep pocket" mindset) who is convinced that my posting videos of participatory events on YouTube is A Bad Thing. People will be embarrassed by seeing themselves dance clumsily. A guy wearing a kilt took a tumble (no, nothing shows). Music copyrights. Someone might be having an illicit affair and the spouse might find out. (So far he hasn't come down on Tuba Christmas nor Tuba New Yaer.)

Would appreciate comments refuting this nonsense.

Last Saturday I shot a couple of tips at a local contra dance of my favorite caller and his favorite band (none of them have a problem with the video-ing), and the dancers. Dogger was present, and he's raised all kinds of red flags with various people "warning" me about "suing your socks." (We've pretty well established that "keep it a secret" is not a viable marketing campaign, but it appears that the local folk music society hasn't gotten that memo yet.)

My videos are on YouTube under the obvious handle. TIA

Speaking of videos...I am being dogged by a retired municipal attorney (too much free time, "deep pocket" mindset) who is convinced that my posting videos of participatory events on YouTube is A Bad Thing. People will be embarrassed by seeing themselves dance clumsily. A guy wearing a kilt took a tumble (no, nothing shows). Music copyrights. Someone might be having an illicit affair and the spouse might find out. (So far he hasn't come down on Tuba Christmas nor Tuba New Yaer.)

Would appreciate comments refuting this nonsense.

Last Saturday I shot a couple of tips at a local contra dance of my favorite caller and his favorite band (none of them have a problem with the video-ing), and the dancers. Dogger was present, and he's raised all kinds of red flags with various people "warning" me about "suing your socks." (We've pretty well established that "keep it a secret" is not a viable marketing campaign, but it appears that the local folk music society hasn't gotten that memo yet.)

My videos are on YouTube under the obvious handle. TIA

I don't feel like e-mailing, cause it bounced back for me too, so i'll just say...

The airport viewing parking lot, off 52nd and kraft. I get a starbucks, or Schuil's, take my camera, and watch airplanes. Some days are busier than others (mornings, tuesdays-thursdays.. sundays are SLOW.)

Copyright law ...

Bottom line? If you are displaying publicly someone's image where they can easily be recognized

... As for pictures, it will probably be best to ask for permission when you take the shot or before you post it in a public forum. You could carry 3x5 cards pre printed with a permission statement that people could sign....

Sorry I sound like your retired friend, but I figured you'd rather hear this here than in a letter you receive from a ticked off litigator.

Not necessarily my "third place", but an area I like to frequent (and my kids beg me to go) is the Blue Bridge over the river. It's a great place to see everything that is going on in the city and the river is quite natural and tranquil. We usually hang out, run around, talk about birds, the sculptures at GVSU and then head to Urban Mills for a coffee. It's a great little walk and my kids (6 and 3) absolutely love it. The are definitely future UP people. ;)

Joe

Joe,

that is totally where I take my girls (5 and 2). They think Downtown = The Blue Bridge ;-) and it wouldd be a disaster if we didn't end up at Urban mill for coffee and cookies...

here's a pic of my oldest on just such a night:

293196663_973ddb45da_b.jpg

Not necessarily my "third place", but an area I like to frequent (and my kids beg me to go) is the Blue Bridge over the river. It's a great place to see everything that is going on in the city and the river is quite natural and tranquil. We usually hang out, run around, talk about birds, the sculptures at GVSU and then head to Urban Mills for a coffee. It's a great little walk and my kids (6 and 3) absolutely love it. The are definitely future UP people. ;)

Joe

I think everyone should take their kids to the Blue Bridge. It is very interesting to view the world through children's eyes and this place is a perfect mix of nature, urbanity (I know, it's not a word) and history.

Andy, when are you going to update you This Old GR House VLog. You're killing us here with no updates. :)

Joe

....but another is Marie Catrib's. Take a seat at the counter, grab a full pot of turkish and you'll likely meet Marie and the whole gang. Also since no seems to know what Turkish coffee is, I ask for an extra little cup and usually end up sharing with my counter-mates. Great way to start a conversation!

Go more than once and Marie will great you like her next door neighbor ;-)

Mine are somewhat weather and laptop dependent:

--Four Friends

--Sidewalk out front of FF on Sunday evenings

--Olive Express (used to practically live there, moved back in when I had a couple days off)

--DT library (when the laptop goes comatose)

Linear:

--White Pine Trail starting up Monroe. I take it slow through Riverside Park so everyone can admire my TRAIL PATROL attire

--Kent Trails starting near the Coke plant.

I think everyone should take their kids to the Blue Bridge. It is very interesting to view the world through children's eyes and this place is a perfect mix of nature, urbanity (I know, it's not a word) and history.

Andy, when are you going to update you This Old GR House VLog. You're killing us here with no updates. :)

Joe

Archived