Need a script for Tim Allen

Veloise

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown is a very audio-visual experience. What I'd like to see is a televised commercial that can capture that same energy. People need to see downtown (and its progress) not just hear about Mr. Allen talk about it.

Having Tim Allen strolling down the thoroughfares of downtown and interacting with the surroundings while speaking in his thoughtful tone... that would be pretty cool.

How about:

"Hi, I'm Tim Allen. Have we met? I'm sure you look familiar. What's your name? Are you interested in a great travel opportunity? Do you have lots of family and friends you could also interest in travel? If so, I'd like to talk to you about Grand Rapids. Now I know what you're thinking but hear me out. Grand Rapids is a great opportunity. You can visit it a little or make it a full time destination. It's completely up to you. Once you get comfortable visiting Grand Rapids, you can talk to your family and friends and get them to visit Grand Rapids too. The more they visit Grand Rapids, they more welcome you'll become. And here's the best part. When they talk to their friends and family and get them to start visiting Grand Rapids, you become even more welcome. Once you really start visiting and your friends and family start visiting, etc. you could even achieve Platinum Visitor status. What's not to like about visiting Grand Rapids?"

I just hope it doesn't include the overdone, "Welcome to Grand Rapids -- small town big city feel." Chances are it's going to include that.

"Have you ever wanted to watch Broadway? Have you ever wanted to take a walk through history? Or, better yet, have you ever wanted to watch your team win it? If you do I have a place for you....

Have it -- in Downtown Grand Rapids."

Is there some sort of compilation of the cultural events and places that would make someone from say chicago want to visit? What does Grand Rapids offer someone that no one else does.

They have some pretty cool burial mounds. Good fall color. Anything else that is unique to here?

Is there some sort of compilation of the cultural events and places that would make someone from say chicago want to visit? What does Grand Rapids offer someone that no one else does.

They have some pretty cool burial mounds. Good fall color. Anything else that is unique to here?

A few friends and I often pick a regional city to travel to for a weekend, usually prompted by one of the friends calling up and saying, for example, "What do you know about Milwaukee?", or "How about a weekend in Columbus"? We are under-30 guys looking for a vibrant downtown and a nightlife to match it, along with cultural opportunities. I often wonder if there are people in Toledo or Indianapolis or Madison that wonder what its like to spend the time in GR. My friends that come from Chicago, Detroit, and Cincy love it here, and they constantly say that they never thought Grand Rapids was so big/nice/fun. These commercials are just what we need to get that message out to those regional travelers. Could the DDA have chosen a better name for the message? Maybe, but that's not the point, is it? I would take Tim Russert if it meant getting our DT on the screens of millions of tellies. We need to get the message out that this city has alot to offer. Some of those potential visitors are entreprenuers, looking for a city to grow in. We shouldn't be splitting hairs so much over who voices these spots.

Tout the new museum, tout DeVos Place, tout the VanAndel Arena, tout the many great bars/restaraunts (B.O.B., Bull's Head, Taps, San Chez, etc.), tout the ecclectic feel of old and new (Grand Plaza Hotel next to JW Marriott), tout everything current and good about coming to DTGR.But it also should be mentioned somewhere that we have alot to offer (downtown living, Medical Hill, colleges, etc.) if you should choose to "stay awhile".

A few friends and I often pick a regional city to travel to for a weekend, usually prompted by one of the friends calling up and saying, for example, "What do you know about Milwaukee?", or "How about a weekend in Columbus"? We are under-30 guys looking for a vibrant downtown and a nightlife to match it, along with cultural opportunities. I often wonder if there are people in Toledo or Indianapolis or Madison that wonder what its like to spend the time in GR. My friends that come from Chicago, Detroit, and Cincy love it here, and they constantly say that they never thought Grand Rapids was so big/nice/fun. These commercials are just what we need to get that message out to those regional travelers. Could the DDA have chosen a better name for the message? Maybe, but that's not the point, is it? I would take Tim Russert if it meant getting our DT on the screens of millions of tellies. We need to get the message out that this city has alot to offer. Some of those potential visitors are entreprenuers, looking for a city to grow in. We shouldn't be splitting hairs so much over who voices these spots.

Tout the new museum, tout DeVos Place, tout the VanAndel Arena, tout the many great bars/restaraunts (B.O.B., Bull's Head, Taps, San Chez, etc.), tout the ecclectic feel of old and new (Grand Plaza Hotel next to JW Marriott), tout everything current and good about coming to DTGR.But it also should be mentioned somewhere that we have alot to offer (downtown living, Medical Hill, colleges, etc.) if you should choose to "stay awhile".

Those are some great ideas cheshireguy.

OK, how about this for a rough draft:

Current, Energy, Life

You can feel it in Grand Rapids. From the grandly restored neighborhoods, to the gleaming high-rises rising around you. From the festivals and concerts in the street, to box seats at the opera. From a perfect morning dew-filled fairway, to a perfectly fun-filled evening on the town. From the galleries to the gardens, the Grand River to the Lake Michigan shores, from dusk to well past dawn, take a stroll, take to the dance floor, take a bite, take to the greens, take some time with family and friends, take your time, take it all in, and take our word for it, you'll feel it too.

Current, energy, life............Grand Rapids.

Just after Katrina, my beloved Freep ran a story about the Sweet Adelines convention, scheduled for NOLA, abruptly relocating to Detroit. Here are some details (can't locate original piece). The visitors had a great time, and were pleasantly surprised. http://www.sweetadelineintl.org/January06pp1.cfm

GR doesn't have to be a world class tourist destination (would you rather visit here or Niagara Falls?), but it helps to raise the influence amongst convention and meeting planners.

• 1 month later...

The Pure Michigan Travel ads with Tim Allen's voiceover are running here in Chicago, and from what I understand in other major Midwest markets. I have to say I really think they are sharp, very well put together IMO. When I first saw the ad on TV I didn't realize that it was Tim Allen's voice. He did a nice job. If these ads are any indication of what is to come for the GR ads I think it will be worth it. You can view and listen to all the TV and Radio ads at the link provided.

The Pure Michigan Travel ads with Tim Allen's voiceover are running here in Chicago, and from what I understand in other major Midwest markets. I have to say I really think they are sharp, very well put together IMO. When I first saw the ad on TV I didn't realize that it was Tim Allen's voice. He did a nice job. If these ads are any indication of what is to come for the GR ads I think it will be worth it. You can view and listen to all the TV and Radio ads at the link provided.

Archived