Twins Unveil New Downtown MPLS. Ballpark

Minneapolitan

The Twins have finally unveiled their plans for a new ballpark to be located in downtown Minneapolis.

Here are some highlights:

- 40,000 seat stadium

- 18,500 infield seats (one of the closest seating bowls to the playing field in all of Major League Baseball)

- The ballpark will be dominated by limestone and glass

- Public access is a strong feature: three bridges, the light rail line, a bike trail, and the skyway system will all connect to the new stadium

- Preliminary dimensions for the new ballpark are: 339' to Left; 377' to LF Power Alley; 404' to Center; 367' to RF Power Alley; 328' to Right. Outfield walls are 8' from the left field foul pole to right center field and 23' from right center field to right field foul pole.

- No roof and natural grass

- Ground breaking is set to begin next month (May 07)

- Completed for the 2010 season

Renderings:

6th Street Overlook View:

3_195.jpg

Right Field Aerial View:

2_544.jpg

7th Street Plaza Entry View:

1_148.jpg

Minneapolis Skyline View:

3rdbase01_959.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

^ Well, hopefully the new stadium receives a warm welcoming like the Xcel Energy Center has. The Wild will be adding to their streak of 274 consecutive sellouts at the Xcel Energy Center next season. The team has sold out every home game since entering the league back in 2000.

I'm sure the Minneapolis - St. Paul area and the rest of the Twins territory (ND, SD, WI, IA and Manitoba, including Winnipeg) will do a great job in supporting the new stadium.

^ Well, hopefully the new stadium receives a warm welcoming like the Xcel Energy Center has. The Wild will be adding to their streak of 274 consecutive sellouts at the Xcel Energy Center next season. The team has sold out every home game since entering the league back in 2000.

I'm sure the Minneapolis - St. Paul area and the rest of the Twins territory (ND, SD, WI, IA and Manitoba, including Winnipeg) will do a great job in supporting the new stadium.

• 2 months later...

Here are a few more diagrams:

View in front of 5th Street.

The Hiawatha light rail will come in on N. 5th Street, on the concourse level where fans enter the ballpark. The Northstar commuter line will arrive at grade, a level below, so passengers will need to take escalators, stairs or elevators up to the concourse level.

elev_5th_color.jpg

Here is another looking southeast, down 5th Street.

P6010135a_north.jpg

i'm very glad they are getting a new park. the dome needs to go! i like the glass encasement that juts out from the outfield. very nice photos. minnesota seems to do very well with building stadiums downtown. i like it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived