Aloft by W

gs3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aloft has just launched their new website. Looks fantastic! :thumbsup: Check it out:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/...t_hotels_121007

It list all the opening dates for the various cities, from late 2008 through 2011. Greenville's opens in February 2010, so about two years away.

This is a nice looking site. Aloft looks very trendy, but in a clean and comfortable way. I will be interested to see how well their concept catches on.

I wonder when construction on the Greenville Aloft will begin? It seems like they have been working on the one in Charleston for quite some time, but they are making progress. Theirs is scheduled to open in late 2008.

• 5 months later...

I was just on the Starwood website booking rooms for a couple of work associates at the Westin and noticed that both the new Aloft and the new Sheraton are now listed on the Starwood reservations page (though neither are bookable yet).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/searc...mberOfAdults=01

Very cool! Great to know that we will have two new Starwood properties next door to one another on The Parkway.

• 6 months later...

Just stayed in an Aloft for the first time and must say, they've got a great business plan going on. Bring the Schrager / hipster style format to the mass market for a low cost. The H&M of hotels. After observing the interior, an Aloft simply can't cost much build or operate......no real wood, but "wood grain laminate"......raw, exposed type ductwork ceilings......hip looking tiles and floor/wall/headboard coverings, but all of very cost effective materials........mimimal staff cost as the hotels aren't full service......

Competing in the 129 a night price range which includes (Hamptons, Fairfields/Courtyards, Hyatt Place, etc), but loaded with details for the urbanite, they definitely have a winning strategy. Some of the better details I noticed:

- Lobby area restrooms are labeled "WC" in a European manner.

- Lobby has a evening bar for afterwork drinks "W-xyz"....leather sofas....comfy chairs....mod fireplace.....mood lighting.....hang out and chill.

- Music throughout public areas and hallways mixes between chill/lounge/club/gaybar/NewWave/etc. Noticed "Rock Lobster" was playing when I checked in.

- Small food area with a long communal table. A few foods....mostly geared toward the late night "munchies".

- Rooms are called "lofts".

- Staff is young, no uniforms, casual, and obviously trained in and expected to take part in casual chit chat.

- Being Starwood, they have Bliss brand bath products in the rooms.

- Plug and play box in rooms.

- Good magazines in-room....Dwell, Wired, Spin, etc.

The one big miss IMHO is the environmental aspect. There was nothing in Aloft that led me to believe Starwood has focused on the green movement, other than the typical "Hang your towel and we won't wash....save water" jargon on a card. The building certainly was in no way green, that was visible, in fact, seems a lot of wasted energy was used to create the mood. Too much plastic throughout. If ever Starwood needed to focus on green, seems the Aloft crowd would be the right market.

Starwood hit most of the right buttoms it seems (other than the green part) with this chain.

The Greenville Aloft should be a welcomed addition to the local hotel scene. Since Aloft is cookie cutter, below photos should be what we get in GV.

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3101.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3106.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

The hotel has been put on hold for the time being. Opening date is now set for February 1, 2011.

Yeah, Feb 2011 has been the date for some time now. I didn't really think of that as a hold, but just changing development timelines with Starwood. A large group of 2010 locations have moved to 2011.

Yeah, Feb 2011 has been the date for some time now. I didn't really think of that as a hold, but just changing development timelines with Starwood. A large group of 2010 locations have moved to 2011.

I've talked to the developer about it. They're waiting for the economy to improve before starting construction. Depending on when that happens, the opening date could change once again.

The Aloft in Charleston is now open. I have driven by a few times over the past few months and there are never more than 8-10 cars in the parking lot. Perhaps I have driven by during non-peak times of the week, but I fear that many people just view hotels like this as weird. I understand that they are trying to appeal to a niche market of young urban professionals as well as those who appreciate a more modern/European design, but I am not sure if most metros have enough travelers to appreciate what Aloft is going for. For most, I feel that Aloft will feel cold and almost quirky. I have no personal experience with their rooms, but when I do I will be sure to comment.

The Aloft in Charleston is now open. I have driven by a few times over the past few months and there are never more than 8-10 cars in the parking lot. Perhaps I have driven by during non-peak times of the week, but I fear that many people just view hotels like this as weird. I understand that they are trying to appeal to a niche market of young urban professionals as well as those who appreciate a more modern/European design, but I am not sure if most metros have enough travelers to appreciate what Aloft is going for. For most, I feel that Aloft will feel cold and almost quirky. I have no personal experience with their rooms, but when I do I will be sure to comment.

I think if that's indeed what they are going for, then their locations may not be right. Charleston's is out next to awful outlet mall and the arena, right? Young urban professionals seem more likely to stay in a cool environment, not your typical suburban area...

I think if that's indeed what they are going for, then their locations may not be right. Charleston's is out next to awful outlet mall and the arena, right? Young urban professionals seem more likely to stay in a cool environment, not your typical suburban area...

Yes, it is in North Charleston near the outlet mall, coliseum, and airport. It's a growing area, but not exactly the type of area their target demographic would tend to want to be. The same can be said for the Greenville location off of Pelham Road.

• 2 years later...

I haven't heard anything about it lately, but I wonder how well the Aloft brand is doing. I just don't think the concept appeals to enough people to make it work, especially suburban locations near airports. But maybe I'm wrong...

The W Hotel building in Boston was just sold in a foreclosure auction. I don't think the brand has been doing too well.

• 3 months later...

I haven't heard anything about it lately, but I wonder how well the Aloft brand is doing. I just don't think the concept appeals to enough people to make it work, especially suburban locations near airports. But maybe I'm wrong...

Company web site lists 27 properties opening through 2016, including downtown Asheville (2012), but not Greenville. Nearly all new locations seem to be in downtown/city center settings. (Makes me want to see one in downtown G'ville - how about the former Peacock site?) Interestingly, though, expansion appears to be focused outside the U.S., where just over two-thirds of the new properties are located.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/directory/new-hotels/all/list.html?sortType=date

Archived