Mobile Annexation

Southron

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the airport wants the city to annex it by legislation. Sen. Glover and Mayor Jones are working on a deal (its what sam jones wants but he'll let glover think he made it up). About a large massive annexation.....the polls are looking good for Mobile but there are no plans currently to annex west Mobile. I think they will annex in the next few years.

Yeah, the airport wants the city to annex it by legislation. Sen. Glover and Mayor Jones are working on a deal (its what sam jones wants but he'll let glover think he made it up). About a large massive annexation.....the polls are looking good for Mobile but there are no plans currently to annex west Mobile. I think they will annex in the next few years.

yeah, but it might be easier to get all of them at once if they have the votes. you might have one subdivision say no and then another say yes. The one that said no might be smaller so if you put them together you would get both.

yeah, there are a lot of people south of the City line. I think they might be a better canidate for the section type voting with the incentives. I think the city could pull tillman's corner off if it really worked on the situation. Give them something.

Also there have been some fears that if they incoporate they will leave the county school system which would take huge amounts of funding with them. Also it will give the city the money to fund much need improvements like to expand the police and fire protection and their pay. there are a lot of positives. It is not really a population grab. Nobody cares about being the largest city. Its mostly about funding and improving the services city wide.

oh ha.....your talking about orange grove. yeah, true. but I think Mobile should at least try to turn it into something else. anyways........annexation would also help future generations form a Metro government if they want. For that to happen there has to be a small number of independent subburbs. they only way to keep it that way is through annexation.

^If only Mobile was in Texas :lol::lol:

The city should try 3 different expansions, all simultaneously, and hopefully 1-2 will pass.

-North of APT to Snow

-South of APT to Snow corridor south to 10

-Areas south of 10 currently in Police Jurisdiction.

Good thing with the MOB is that the outlying areas are not particularly wealthy so the city actually has a chance to pull them in. If Fairhope was a unicorporated community near the city of Mobile hell would freeze over before they came into the city, because it would not make financial sense to them.

The so called " ole mobile" barrier has to be broke!

For outertowners Ole Mobile = citizens who dont want the city to change for the best! , but always Bit-h about Mobile not going anywhere. And the dont want to spend any money for improvements!......some tightwads , i heard , still have Confederate Money!

If area in the police juristiction was annex what would the pop be ? 300k?

The so called " ole mobile" barrier has to be broke!

For outertowners Ole Mobile = citizens who dont want the city to change for the best! , but always Bit-h about Mobile not going anywhere. And the dont want to spend any money for improvements!......some tightwads , i heard , still have Confederate Money!

If area in the police juristiction was annex what would the pop be ? 300k?

yeah , wish we was in Biloxi cause you just hit the jackpot! I got on the Mobile forum (al.com)the other day and a great number of them could give 2 shi_ts about annexing or downtown looking skyward! , and just sit in their Springhill homes waiting for newscenter 5 to come on at 6pm to bit_ch about Mobile and the lack of. But those people have alot of pull in town. Former Mayor Dow somehow played his cards right.

Airport annexation

Mayor Jones and Sen. Glover sound off

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones and State Senator Rusty Glover of Semmes recently submitted their views on the proposed airport annexation to the Mobile Press-Register. Senator Glover's bill would allow annexation of the airport so that the city could extend police and fire services, but essentially nothing else (no piecemeal annexations along Schillinger Rd).

Mayor Jones: What city has in mind for airport

Senator Glover: Bill seeks compromise on city's desire to annex airport property

• 4 weeks later...
yeah , wish we was in Biloxi cause you just hit the jackpot! I got on the Mobile forum (al.com)the other day and a great number of them could give 2 shi_ts about annexing or downtown looking skyward! , and just sit in their Springhill homes waiting for newscenter 5 to come on at 6pm to bit_ch about Mobile and the lack of. But those people have alot of pull in town. Former Mayor Dow somehow played his cards right.

the down the bay area has been in the Mobile limits, I think since the 1940s or 50s. so we dont have to annex them. but we do need to go further south into hollinger's island and south of dog river. I think west Mobile will annex, it lost by a slim vote and recent polls have shown that it is more likely to happen.....especially if the city gives them some incentives. But I would have to say no to annexing prichard. Maybe if they improved but not right now. I think that prichard, would not want to annex, they have a positive future. I do think that Mobile needs to annex North just west of prichard. that could be a good investment.

Most of the people on the al.com forum wouldn't be able to vote in an annexation proposal. Most of them live in Saraland (already incorporated), Semmes (Mayor Sam Jones says Mobile has no need or want to annex them), or just to far west like Snow road or Wilmer area (outside of the proposed area), and even texas. They are just a bunch of retired old people that like to talk about how things used to be. a lot of their posts start with "remember when". Those people will eventually die out anyways. Besides that there are only about 6 of them that post on it anyways. I don't think they represent the majority. Every community has them!!

the down the bay area has been in the Mobile limits, I think since the 1940s or 50s. so we dont have to annex them. but we do need to go further south into hollinger's island and south of dog river. I think west Mobile will annex, it lost by a slim vote and recent polls have shown that it is more likely to happen.....especially if the city gives them some incentives. But I would have to say no to annexing prichard. Maybe if they improved but not right now. I think that prichard, would not want to annex, they have a positive future. I do think that Mobile needs to annex North just west of prichard. that could be a good investment.

Most of the people on the al.com forum wouldn't be able to vote in an annexation proposal. Most of them live in Saraland (already incorporated), Semmes (Mayor Sam Jones says Mobile has no need or want to annex them), or just to far west like Snow road or Wilmer area (outside of the proposed area), and even texas. They are just a bunch of retired old people that like to talk about how things used to be. a lot of their posts start with "remember when". Those people will eventually die out anyways. Besides that there are only about 6 of them that post on it anyways. I don't think they represent the majority. Every community has them!!

nimsjus, you hit it on the dot. The people that are against it are a lot louder than the ones for it. its crazy how that works. But I think if Mobile offers say...property tax incentives or provide special zoning (allowing certain area to continue certain things that are allowed in the county....like burning and so on) it would help counter the noise made by the no people. It is better to get a little of something than have nothing at all!!

oh, yeah that area (southern part of the city of Mobile, dog river, hollingers island) is great for waterfront development. Rumor has it that investors are all ready buying land hoping for something to happen!

I think that it would help prichard but it would force Mobile to divert a lot of funding. I think Prichard will be fine on its own. They are one of the best suburbs that love to partner with Mobile, more than what I can say of Saraland.

<H1 class=red>Annexation of airport killed</H1>Wednesday, May 23, 2007 By BRIAN LYMANCapital Bureau MONTGOMERY -- A handful of Mobile County bills moved out of the state House of Representatives on Tuesday, but local senators defeated legislation that would allow the city to annex land ceded by the Mobile Regional Airport.

Six bills for Mobile County passed the House of Representatives after a long and sometimes rancorous battle between members of the local delegation.

The bills now go to the Senate, which has been stalled in a session-long fight over rules.

http

://www.al.com/news/press-register/inde...xml&coll=3

Looks like the folks against annexation have loudly defeated annexation again in some form. I wonder how this defeat will affect the next annexation vote. I guess we know that west mobile's delegation are on the side against annexation

Looks like the folks against annexation have loudly defeated annexation again in some form. I wonder how this defeat will affect the next annexation vote. I guess we know that west mobile's delegation are on the side against annexation

Most of the opposition that Glover was talking about is from semmes. The people aren't even apart of west Mobile. From what I have heard many people in west Mobile do not care. but oh well. I think Mobile should slowly start to pull the fire and police protection.

Archived