Mobile Annexation

Southron

I probably shouldn't be that critical of west Mobilians. The last annexation attempt almost passed, and the attitudes aren't nearly as bad as those in outlying Birmingham suburbs. Hopefully the next attempt to annex west Mobile will go through.

This whole airport thing is dumb, though. Maybe Sen. Glover was truthful when he suggested working this out after the legislative session.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh i think that he is. But I think Mobile actually has a better shot at a vote coupled with incentives. After all this is another economic development project and should be treated as one. A vote actually allows the people that are being considered for annexation to have a voice. not the people in the outside area that just like to complain about something.

• 1 month later...

My friends father developed Wynnfield and from what I know that subdivision is already in the city limits. they get Mobile trash service. maybe its another phase or something. that is the subdivision off solie rode, right?

My friends father developed Wynnfield and from what I know that subdivision is already in the city limits. they get Mobile trash service. maybe its another phase or something. that is the subdivision off solie rode, right?

It is the second phase. I remember something about him wanting to build further west behind the neighborhood. His house backs up to a nice size creek and I guess further back is wet lands. This annexation is done by the owners of the land. i just wish that other property owners and developers would annex on their own.

Mobile annexed 50 acres owned by Wynnfield Development, which plans to develop 45 new lots to add to the existing Wynnfield subdivision. No one lives in the area now. This will be the first annexation by the city since 2004, when the owners of the 29-acre Integrity Media headquarters decided to come into the city.

Details in the article below.

Mobile Press-Register: City of Mobile grows by 50 acres

• 5 weeks later...

Mayor Sam Jones finally revealed his annexation plans. He wants four separate votes this fall in areas of west Mobile, with a total of 4,039 residents. One of the four areas includes the commercial development (with sales tax income) along Schillinger Road and Airport Boulevard.

If voters approve annexation, Jones is promising a new police precinct, a new large fire station, a new park, road paving and more.

Details in the article.

Mobile Press-Register: Mobile plans annexation push

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling that this annexation is going to happen if it goes to a vote. the opposition seems very disorganized and lacking a lot of support. From the West Mobilians that I know.....they just think that Mobile is going to annex them some day.....so why not just do it now! the people I know are going to vote yes (they live in area A near glider Ave).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It will be very hard for them to appeal. Upper courts try not to over rule lower court decisions if it is a local issue. I think the city fairly won the case and if they appeal it, it will be a waste of their personal money and they will lose again.

• 3 weeks later...

More good news on annexation: The Mobile Airport Authority voted Monday to ask the city to annex the Mobile Regional Airport, which borders newly annexed land in west Mobile. The authority owns the airport property, and the City Council can approve a property owner's request without an election or special state legislation.

Mobile Press-Register: Airport asks to join Mobile

• 2 months later...

Mobile's City Council is expected to vote today to annex the airport, which would add to the city's tax rolls and expand the police and planning jurisdiction farther to the west. Land within a five miles of the west side of the airport would be in the city's planning jurisdiction. The city plans to spend about $5 million to build a combined police and fire "super station" on airport property, which would reduce response times in the western part of the city.

Mobile Press-Register: Airport annexation could come today

Not sure how much residential/retail propety directy abuts the airport property. Those people are now free to annex without voting. The last annexation talk I saw was the article in the PR about peole in Tillmans Corner asking for and getting a meeting with the mayor. I wonder how many(if any) people who live adjacent to the Schillinger Road annexation have come into the city?

• 3 weeks later...

The city of Mobile could be getting a larger windfall than expected from last year's Schillinger Road area annexation. City revenue data in the area indicate that the annexation will add about $11 million annually to the city revenues, slightly more than the $10 million a year that the mayor expected.

Mobile Press-Register: City reaps rewards of annexation

Archived