Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

A new proposal working its way through the process is a 13 story condo and lofts that will have a total of around 300 units and 80,000 sf of retail space. Its by the developers of Castleberry Point and will be in the same neighborhood.

And here's another great progress photo by Mr Joe F. Steed

8-21-07008a_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Martinman

8-21-07008a_edited-1.jpg

That is an absolutely lovely sight. If and when 50 Allen Plaza is built, it will truly be one of the greatest transformations of an area I have had the ability to witness and understand with my own eyes. It will be up there with (1) Atlantic Station, (2)Midtown and (3) Alpharetta. I am a wee bit to young to remember Buckhead, the Platinum Triangle and the Perimeter Center as anything other than how they are now....minus more of the taller buildings currently there.

Edited by Lady Celeste

A new proposal working its way through the process is a 13 story condo and townhomes that will have a total of around 300 units and 80,000 sf of retail space. Its by the developers of Castleberry Point and will be in the same neighborhood.

8-21-07008a_edited-1.jpg

I agree with teshadoh. This sort of progress really is exciting to see in downtown, especially when you consider where it's being built!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What was on that block prior to Renaissance Walk being built?

Most notable was the Palamont Motor Lodge, which was the oldest African-American owned/operated hotel in the city, at the corner of Piedmont and Auburn. Also some old single-story retail storefronts.

Renaissance Walk will add to the already substantially increased pedestrian activity from the new GSU prison... err.. dorms.

• 4 weeks later...

New York's BLT Steak coming to Allen Plaza

I'm not familiar with this restaurant, but it sounds like a neat concept!

More out of town restaurants are coming downtown.

Legal Sea Food out of Boston is opening a two floor restaurant in the Hilton Garden Inn.

Il Mulino, considered on of NY's best Italian restaurants, will open in 191 Peachtree.

Edited by Martinman

24 and 50 AP are in the DRI review process. Here is the info from the application.

24 Allen Plaza will consist of 450,000 square feet of office at 27 stories, 20,000

square feet of specialty retail, and 45,000 square feet of grocery store.

50 Allen Plaza will consist of 881,000 square feet of office at 47 stories and 19,000 square

feet of specialty retail.

50 was always mentioned as being from 38 - 50 stories so apparently they've settled on the size the building. And as we all know, it needs and anchor tenant requiring at least around 400k sf to get built. 191 and 50 were thought to be in the running for space that Suntrust may need when they vacate the building they recently sold to GSU but leasing is going so well that 191 won't have enough space anymore. It all suggests that they've found an anchor with a specific space requirement and its a strong possibility that its Suntrust.

Edited by Martinman

More out of town restaurants are coming downtown.

Legal Sea Food out of Boston is opening a two floor restaurant in the Hilton Garden Inn.

Il Mulino, considered on of NY's best Italian restaurants, will open in 191 Peachtree.

That's great news about Legal Sea Foods! I have family in Boston and I love that place! Great addition for the city!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are those corner balconies caged in? That's a bit odd.

Well its just a rendering but assuming its accurate, I think they would prefer to call it screened (as in porch) rather than caged.

More apartment development in the works for Downtown...

-Vista is also planning Centennial Vista.

The development will have 418 apartments and 14,708 square feet of retail space at 377 Centennial Olympic Park Drive (this is the site of the dead Centennial West proposal). Pending permit approval, the project would begin in early 2008 and be completed in 2010.

- Trammell Crow Residential is planning to start its 592-unit apartment project called Alexan 360 in the spring. The site is at Jackson and Irwin streets, just east of the connector.

Edited by Martinman

Centennial Area Map

Hopefully we'll get rid of these horrible parking lots to the east of Centennial Olympic Park sometime in the near future. I wish they'd put the Hard Rock Hotel there and tie it into The Tabernacle for a music-inspired entertainment complex similar to 4th Street Live in Louisville.

Edited by perimeter285

^^ This is one I think we need to rally around. It's so bad that we should each consider contacting Sembler and letting them have a piece of our mind. I mean, how can they be so stuck in the dark ages as to plan a suburban strip mall in an area that is trying desparately to become a cohesive, walkable urban neighborhood.

Here is their contact information:

Atlanta Office

1450 South Johnson Ferry Road

Suite 100

Atlanta, GA 30319

Phone 404.847.1800

Fax 404.847.1818

I'm going to call and write a letter. Anyone want to join me?

• 3 weeks later...

As someone predicted following the Nascar competition, city leaders are on to the next thing...

The Atlanta Sports Council is involved in extensive negotiations to bring the National Football Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame, currently based in South Bend, Ind., to a Centennial Olympic Park destination in Atlanta, similar to what was conceived for the failed NASCAR Hall of Fame bid, people familiar with the talks say.

ABC article

Hopefully this is not targeted for the same location as the Nascar HOF. For those that opposed the Nascar HOF.... you were right, I was wrong. Those lots have too much potential to be used for a tourist attraction.