Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I don't love the idea just because I think there are much more necessary (and effective) ways to channel resources and energy in the downtown area.

I agree with this also. I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of Atlanta's push to load downtown with a bunch of attractions, particularly in the absence of larger efforts to make downtown better overall. I know there are other things coming to downtown (streetcar, etc.), but it just doesn't seem to be enough at the moment to make downtown THE "it" place to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Details on the College Football Hall of Fame

The College Football Hall of Fame will have a 3-D theater, broadcast facility, a 224 space parking deck and event space when it opens in Atlanta in 2013. Atlanta Hall Management also has an agreement with ESPN, which will provide content and be a media partner of the Hall of Fame. The hall will be located on the GWCC's 2.7-acre Green Parking Lot on Marietta Street and will be connected to a new entrance to the convention center.

1291401649-cfhof_exterior_rendering.jpg

The tunnel entrance from Marietta Street will feed guests onto a field.

1291401779-cfhof_-_interior_rendering.jpg

The hall will have kiosks where you can view videos and other information on inductees.

1291401799-cfhof_-_enshrinement.jpg

College hall to have event space, theater {sodEmoji.|} Atlanta Business Chronicle

Edited by Martinman

I really like this addition. Bringing it to the street and getting rid of that parking lot will do wonders for the area. I'm not often in Atlanta as I could be but I am really liking the changes that are taking place in that area and throughout the city proper. This will give me yet another reason to visit that part of town. The synergy from the other attractions as well as the many sports venues in the area should keep it doing well.

I don't love the idea just because I think there are much more necessary (and effective) ways to channel resources and energy in the downtown area. I also initially thought something like this works best in cities where there is a waterfront. However I was just recently visited a friend on the 59th floor of the Westin and it is always a spectacular view from that high.

You should try the Westin Suite 7003. It is the size of five regular guest rooms and overlooks Midtown from the bedroom all the way around to the Living Room which overlooks Woodruff Park. I was blown away when I got up there on the 70th floor.:o

I was born at Crawford Long and Downtown has been a part of my life for 48 years now. I have seen so much over the decades, but I think people (developers in particular) are starting to realize that Downtown is the HEART of our beloved city and Downtown must stay healthy and vital, because if the heart stops pumping, just like a human being, it will die, and I certainly don't want the Crown Jewel of the South to become another Detroit.

• 1 month later...

I really wish SunTrust would renovate the plaza area/sidewalks around their building. The 90's have come and gone and it could use some freshening up... would also help Downtown look more attractive. Hopefully when the economy finally turns around (who knows when) Peachtree Center will also be renovated like originally planned.

• Like 1

I really wish SunTrust would renovate the plaza area/sidewalks around their building. The 90's have come and gone and it could use some freshening up... would also help Downtown look more attractive. Hopefully when the economy finally turns around (who knows when) Peachtree Center will also be renovated like originally planned.

I personally feel like downtown is so dated, rough-looking, and stigmatized with crime and loitering... it needs an overhaul that would require an economic boom. Some of those horribly dilapidated structures south of Alabama St SW, either need to be revitalized or razed, more green space would make the place more attractive. Five Points... where do I even begin... knowing the cost would be substantial- a newer structure needs to facilitate a waiting area for buses that terminate/begin at that station... that way it would help law enforcement to differentiate the transit riders from the undesirables whose loitering constitutes as one of many reasons why very few people see downtown as a good place to live.

Just throwing my own opinions out there... lol I'll admit the Five Points thing... highly unrealistic considering the state that MARTA is in.

Edited by xikartu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Two potential downtown projects have surfaced in recent weeks.

-Post Properties is planning an apartment tower on one of the three parcels in Allen Plaza. Real estate observers say Post has been working on the project in recent weeks but Post maintains that they are in the early stages of any possible development.

Post Eying Downtown Apartments - ABC

- Two developers dare to dream of putting up an office project in Downtown Atlanta in this economy. Seven Oaks Co. and Legacy Property Group are proposing a 350,000-square-foot office building, with about 70,000 square feet of retail/entertainment space called 285 Marietta. The hope is to attract high tech companies (or a TBS expansion) as well as a possible new downtown attraction. Of course no ground will be broken without significant amount of the office space being pre-leased.

'Times Square South' proposed - ABC

285 Marietta

view from stats 3_905.jpg

• 9 months later...

Big Downtown Project Update

• College Football Hall of Fame - After coming up $15 million short of fund raising goal last year, reassessing the project, and downsizing (slightly), the attraction appears to be back on track and is planning on breaking ground this year. A new plan and new design will be made public in coming weeks. link

• GSU 18-story student housing project - Plans have been submitted to the city for an 18 - story student housting building at the corner of John Wesley Dobbs and Courtland Ave. The 270,000 sf project would include 254 residential units and 17,000 square feet of commercial space. link
    • Streetcar - Atlantans this week got a glimpse of the new streetcar vehicles scheduled to run between Centennial Park and Auburn Ave in late 2013. 1345039975-atlanta-streetcar-siemens.jpeg
    • Aloft Hotel - the downtown days inn at 300 Spring St will get a $25 million renovation and be rebranded as an Aloft hotel. link 0001307.jpg
    • Former AJC building renovation - The city has selected the winner of a design competition to re-design the bottom floor of the building as a contemporary gallery space. 1344455328-city-of-atl_02-1024x640.jpeg
    • Marietta Street - I love the streetscape improvements on one of downtowns best streets. 6549670891_4bc74bdc95_z.jpg
Edited by Martinman

I'm lukewarm on the streetcar down Sweet Auburn. Wasn't there already a bus line going the exact same route. I would have much preferred putting the streetcar on Ponce de Leon instead. I really hope that the city takes special care in preserving the historical significance of Sweet Auburn Ave. It's importance in Atlanta history dates back generations. There is much need for redevelopment or more development along this venerable street...it would be such a pity if it loses its longstanding character prior to the exodus to the suburbs. That would be a great way for Atlanta to build character based on native history and tradition.

The Marietta Street corridor is really improving. The streetscape improvements (with the wide sideways with pavers) is a great touch. This is a great and interesting part of town. It also has a great deal of potential. The Gulch project should go a long way in adding pedestrians to the area. This will make it even more inviting. As far as the 18 story residential dormitory on JWB and Courtland...EXCELLENT. Georgia State is doing a phenomenal job adding people to the area. It also gets rid of that underutilized plot of land. I'm sure it will not be Earth shattering in its appearance but it will blend in nicely with the Commons dormitory. It also could bring much needed collegiate-targeted retail to that part of the GSU campus.

• 1 month later...

College Football Hall of Fame Moves Forward

The College Football Hall of Fame said Thursday it is moving forward after it secured $74 million in total capital sources, including a $22.5 million loan from Regions Bank, BB&T and Fifth Third Bank.

Total project costs are estimated at $66 million.

Plans currently call for a 90,000-square-foot facility, including a football field that will serve as an event space. There will be about 30,000 square feet of exhibit space. Construction should take about 18 months and is expected to start at the end of this year or early 2013.

http://www.bizjourna...-fame-gets.html

Rendition.jpg?cbf681

Edited by krazeeboi

• 3 months later...

DOWNTOWN PROJECT UPDATE

College Football Hall of Fame to break ground on Jan. 28

College Football Hall of Fame will break ground in downtown Atlanta on Jan. 28, officials announced Monday. The almost 90,000-square foot building will be in the green lot of the Georgia World Congress Center on Marietta Street.

CFHOF_Day.JPG

One12 Courtland 

The student housing project near the GSU campus has released renderings of the project.  It will include a renovation of the old Ramada hotel into 138 units, an 18-story tower with 108 units and 17000 sf of retail space.

One12Courtland_zps85b57bca.jpg

The National Center for Civil Rights - A scaled-down version of the center has already broken ground.

CRM_zps50a77327.jpeg

Atlanta Streetcar - Utility relocation continues but is taking longer than expected so the timetable for startup may have to be changed.

249002_10150189863221317_3608788_n.jpg

Edited by Martinman

• 2 months later...

The Civil and Human Rights Museum is officially under construction and now has a webcam. For directional purposes, it will be located just east of the Georgia Aquarium (the world's largest), just north of the World of Coca~Cola, across the street from the Children's Museum and one block north of Centennial Olympic Park. This is a great addition to the area. The College Football Hall of Fame is also underway on the other side of the park on Marietta Street. There's also a nice new "family oriented" entertainment establishment proposed that will be across from the CFHoF. I'm sure that more information is to follow on that development...

Link to Civil and Human Right Museum webcam:

http://www.civilandhumanrights.org/Building/ConceptPurpose/overview.html

Since I am downtown...so to speak, I found some nice pictures of the tracks being laid on Edgewood Ave for the new Atlanta street car that connect the Martin Luther King Jr National Historic Site with the CBD and the growing Centennial Park Area and all it's attractions. I heard an interview with a visitor to Atlanta who thinks the linkage of all the areas will be a marvelous idea. Also, Invest Atlanta has started a wonderful program to encourage and aid the businesses affected by the construction related the the streetcar line. This should go a long way in helping the area grow more organic businesses. Kudos to the city for helping small business in the affected areas.

Neat pics of progress:

481286_10151338535601317_2124242332_n.jp  

and....

485098_10151338509691317_30893859_n.jpg

We have been waiting years to hear announcements like this and now we finally have it.

MARTA eyes project at King station!

Ga%20State%20Marta%20jv*304.jpg?v=1

It is surely about time and long overdue. MARTA has been sitting on prime real estate at many of its rail stations. Now they may finally find ways to keep the transit agency profitable.

From an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle:

MARTA is eyeing its King Memorial station for a new mixed-use development that could include affordable housing, additional retail and improved pedestrian access.

MARTA’s board of directors could approve a decision to issue requests for proposals at its meeting April 8.

That sets the stage for King Memorial to be the first of five train stations in various stages of development over the next two years. MARTA recently reiterated that goal in a presentation before Atlanta developers March 7.

These type of developments not only help MARTA but it also helps the regions improving traffic issues as well as gives people more options for transportation. With Georgia State University growing by leaps and bounds as it moves from a commuter school to a more traditional urban campus, the Atlanta Streetcar line AND the Atlanta Beltline, this area is becoming more and more pedestrian friendly and full of people. I also like seeing the addition of affordable housing. We need all types of people to make the city interesting and vibrant.

Let's hope that the agency's board stays on this current course and reap the full potential of its vast land holdings in Fulton and DeKalb counties. Intown Atlanta is quietly growing a great deal. It's good to see it not only mature well in age but in land use also.    

This is definitely awesome news and represents the path MARTA should have taken from the outset as it regards land use at transit stations, much like DC's Metro. I even see this trend resulting in significant investment in neighborhoods seen as rough or less-than-desirable, like Vine City, Oakland City, and West Lake, especially as the demand for in-town living near transit increases.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally DON'T do the retail store/restaurant openings as thousands happen daily across the country...but in these two instances I will make an exception. I make this exception because both opening will enhance the urban experience. They also happen to be around one of Atlanta's most utilized parks...Centennial Olympic Park.

Atlanta based Waffle House has opened a store overlooking the park. Now I'm a healthy conscious lady and I must watch my weight so this may not make me hit back flips down Marietta Street but I think this is a great addition to the urban scene. Not everyone wants highbrow eating ALL the time. Sometimes you may just want to sit outside and people watch over a plate of hash browns and some orange juice.

Read about the opening here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/03/25/slideshow-waffle-house-opens-in.html  

Also in family oriented news on the park, Game X has its grand opening.

Game-X, at 275 Baker St., is a $4 million, 12,000-square-foot facility that combines a mix of games and dining on two levels that overlook Centennial Olympic Park.

This will add to the many offerings in the downtown area. Atlanta receives tens of thousands of conventioneers and their family members every year, along with the tens of thousands of visitors to the city coupled with the tens of thousands of sports fans who visit Phillips Arena and the Georgia Dome; this is a great addition to the many offerings in a one mile radius. There is so much for anyone, of all ages, to do all in one small area. Anchored by Centennial Olympic Park, you will be able to partake in NFL, SEC, College Bowl games and NBA games, the Georgia Aquarium, CNN, The Children's Museum, The World of Coca~Cola, The College Football Hall of Fame, The Georgia World Congress Center, Downtown and soon it will be just a short streetcar ride down historic Sweet Auburn Avenue to the King Center for Nonviolent Change, Historic Ebenezer Church and the birthplace of Martin Luther King. Not to mention, the thousands of hotel rooms, public transportation and restaurant offerings in walking distance of Centennial Olympic Park. Who says that Atlanta's convention and sporting event offerings are too spread out? If you can't find something to do in such a small area, you're either too hard to please or just plain boring.

You can read more on Game X here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/03/27/slideshow-game-x-grand-opening.html

01.09%20Polaris-BS2cc*304.jpg?v=1

Here's something for those of us who love to have a 360 degree view of the city as we dine out. The Polaris is BACK!!!! YAY! Hyatt has found funding to reopen the iconic revolving restaurant. This is great news. Designed by the venerable architect John Portman, it first opened in 1967 atop Atlanta's tallest structure at the time. I was not even a glimmer in my parents eyes back then so it is hard to imagine that this structure was Atlanta's tallest. Absolutely amazing what you learn. At any rate, I think this will offer more dining to the downtown area. While not as high as the Westin Peachtree Plaza's revolving restaurant, it should still garner enough patrons seeking an exciting view along with their meal.

Read about the reopening here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/peachtree-plate/2013/03/hyatts-polaris-has-funding-to-reopen.html 

Rumor mill

• Rumor has it that the Novare/ Batson Cook apartment machine is planning the third Atlanta Skyhouse project on the site of what was originally planned to be Twelve Centennial phase 2, adjacent to the Civic Center Marta station.   If true, I would expect them to complete 100 6th street before commencing with this project.

• Also insiders say the group that built the London Eye has a smaller, temporary version planned for Atlanta.  The project is said to be going through the permitting process at the moment and that the ferris wheel will remain here for at least a year.

• 2 weeks later...

ImmovableMedia has graced us with more live action construction videos. I start in the Downtown district.

First we have the National Museum of Civil and Human Rights: 

Secondly we have the College Football Hall of Fame: 

Thirdly we have blocks of four story apartment buildings that are right next to the Downtown Connector. Being right next to the Connector, I can imagine that there must be a great deal of noise insulation. If you work at Grady Memorial, you can walk to work. The apartments are called Auburn Pointe:

** Thank you to ImmovableMedia on Youtube for all that you do. **

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown Atlanta has gotten several major ego boosting announcements in the past week. 

1) People:

Let's start with what must be a major coup for Downtown:

Coca~Cola eyes big move downtown. The beverage giant has said it will move 1000 IT workers downtown. You really have to applaud how bullish many of Atlanta's home grown companies are on Downtown.

The beverage giant has entered final negotiations for new office space with the ownership of the 60-story SunTrust Plaza, one of Atlanta’s iconic skyscrapers. Coca-Cola (NYSE: KO) would move about 1,000 jobs, many of them IT workers from suburban Atlanta, to SunTrust Plaza and its Garden Offices. Coke would make up to a 10-year commitment and lease at least 250,000 square feet.

A healthy core is a plus for all of the metro area. Coca~Cola is the world's most recognized brand and the company is a wonder corporate citizen. This consolidation is a big boost for Downtown and area retailers as well.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/04/25/coca-cola-eyes-big-move-downtown.html    

Suntrust%20plaza%20atlanta%20trees%20315

2) Transportation:

I am really liking MARTA's new general manager Keith Parker. Positive things are happening at lightening speed with him. He is definitely proving a formidable force and totally capable of "righting the ship". Well, it is a piece of great news from MARTA regarding development around its stations as reported above.

Marta readies RFQs for the King Memorial station. It will measure the development appetite for four acres it owns next to the station. This is right intown and a perfect start to this change in mindset. Transit systems across the nation have been doing this for a while. It's great to see MARTA finally catch up to the program. It will also be a great money making generator as MARTA owns quite a bit of choice real estate along its rail lines.

You can read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/04/marta-readies-rfqs-for-king-memorial.html

King%20Memorial%20Image*304.jpg?v=1

3) Historic Preservation And Reuse:

image-thumb.jpeg

Renovation of the Imperial Hotel, a 1910 historic landmark continues on. It will return to its most recent use as a residential tower. Some were thinking that it was being prepped for demolition but that is not the case. Once renovations are complete, it will contain 90 units.

the-madison2.jpg

Oddly enough we have another historic building from 1910 that is undergoing renovation. The building above in the Fairlie-Poplar District is to become metro Atlanta's second Home2 Suites by Hilton. There will be five retail spaces on Walton St and a roof top bar. It's also reported that the conversion will qualify the building for LEED certification. These Atlanta jewels that harken to the past are meant to be enjoyed and saved for future generations. It also adds quite a bit of character. I'm so glad that both buildings will soldier on into the future.

4) Downtown Entertainment: 

As many of us know, the Falcons will get a new $1.2 billion dollar retractable roof stadium. Everyone directly involved are full steam ahead. Kansas City based architecture firm 360 Architecture has been awarded with the task of making the retractable roof stadium a reality. This firm is the design firm of MetLife Stadium.

That's not the biggest entertainment new however. That bit of news goes to..............The Chick-fil-a Bowl has been awarded one of the rotating BCS Championship spots. Can you say continual exposure!?! This move also elevates the status of the Chick-fil-a Bowl. In case I haven't said it already, this is major. This is coming off the heels of an extremely successful Men's NCAA finals. That event had record attendance and all the visitors absolutely loved the city. Of course Atlanta has done a great deal to turn the Centennial Olympic Park area into quite the family/fan/tourist entertainment spot. More is coming on board with the College Football Hall of Fame.   

Read about it here:http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/chick-fil-a-bowl-expected-to-land-semifinal-spot/nXWYx/

I almost forgot, someone has proposed a permanent ferris wheel to overlook Centennial Olympic Park. I'll reserve my personal thoughts on it other than to say it will go well with the family entertainment theme that seems to be building around the park. At least it will remove a surface parking lot. You have got to love that. Also the operator expects to attract between 1000 and 3000 passengers each day. Considering the attractions around it...including CNN Center, I can see that being a possibility. We shall see it it gets off the ground.

ferris%20wheel2*304.JPG?v=1

Read about it here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2013/04/skyview-ferris-wheel-proposed-for.html

Lastly, Zoo Atlanta is slated to replace the reptile building. This is much needed. I was unaware of how many endangered species are on exhibit there and the age of the current building. I was also unaware that Zoo Atlanta drew in 866,000 visitors in 2012. Some in Atlanta really overlook the many treasures just waiting to be explored right in the city.  

Read more here: http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local/zoo-atlanta-to-build-reptile-house/nXN9C/

I apologize for the long post. I just don't have the time for a post every day. There are so many new and exciting things happening in Atlanta right now. I hope that my post have been helpful in showing a small snippet of those happenings. 

All the financial business has been ironed out with funding for the new Atlanta Falcons Stadium. Falcons owner Arthur Blank has requested that the new edifice be an Atlanta icon. Enter Kansas City based 360 Architecture. They were recently awarded the honor of designing the new retractable roof stadium. Now that we have all of that out of the way, let the face off begin.

360 Architecture has presented two designs in the preliminary stage that could be the new home for the Atlanta Falcons. You decide which one you prefer.

Option A: The Pantheon of Atlanta

A circular concept with a swirling design of roof panels, opening the full length of a football field. Opening, closing would take five to seven minutes.

Pantheon1%202013-05-01%20at%2010-thumb.j

Pantheon2Screen%20Shot%202013-05-01%20at

Option B: The Solarium

A more traditional, rectangular stadium with two large roof panels that would pull back into wing-like structures. Opening, closing would take less than 12 minutes.

solarium1-thumb.jpg

solarium2-thumb.jpg

solarium3-thumb.jpg

So there you have it: a preliminary look at the two options Atlanta must consider. One is iconic and quite unique in design and the other harkens to Atlanta's past. There's a video presentation of both options. I'm impressed with both. Which one say you? Option A or Option B?