Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

A new face for Centennial Olympic Park 

7sj5.png

The Georgia World Congress Center Authority is planning to significantly improve Centennial Olympic Park as it approaches its 20th birthday.

The new strategic vision for the park will be to make it more welcoming to the city and the attractions that have grown up around the park in the past two decades.

Slide show of possible changes: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/print-edition/2013/12/13/a-new-face-for-centennial-olympic-park.html?s=image_gallery

Here's renderings of the other major plans for the park.  I love the idea of replaced the chamber of commerce building.

Idea 2: Second rendering shows that International Boulevard has gone away and become part of the park. You can see the vista to the College Football Hall of Fame and the new Chamber building on the left.
4se4.jpg

Idea 3: Third rendering shows how the plan is to open up the park to the city. The entrance at Baker Street and Centennial Olympic Park Boulevard welcomes people from the street into the park by opening up the entrance.
q2sl.jpg

Idea 4: The fourth image shows that the current maintenance and office for Centennial Olympic Park has been transformed into a restaurant venue for the park, taking advantage of the Georgia Aquarium across the street.
hrfg.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Wonderful news about downtown. I figured it wouldn't take long for downtown to rebirth. As an urban neighborhood, urban living is a natural attraction to it. I thought the rebirth would come sooner. I remember way back when 123 Luckie was built and they said that it sold out and Kroger opened up nearby. I thought that would be the catalyst but something happened to dampen it. It's now Downtown's time to shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown morphs through 50 years of growth. 

The same vantage point of the downtown central business district from the Downtown Connector. 

Downtown of yesterday...

skyline_1963_expressway_01-thumb.jpg

The Downtown Connector circa 1963

AND

Downtown of today...

NewAtlanta_016-thumb.jpg

Edited by Lady Celeste

First announced in August, the Downtown Hyatt House near the Georgia Aquarium broke ground on January 2nd. 

hyatt-house-(400x305).jpg

Another downtown parking lot is about to bite the dust. At the northwest corner of Ivan Allen Boulevard and Luckie Street, catty-corner to the Georgia Aquarium, construction is under way on a new 150-room Hyatt House hotel, an extended-stay concept that officials say will feel like an upscale apartment community, according to a press release. The project is a joint venture by Chip Patterson and TPG Hospitality, and it joins a slew of construction activity on the western flank of downtown that includes two major tourist attractions.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/01/construction-starts-on-downtown-hyatt.html

Edited by Lady Celeste

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Construction Update #7.3 + SNOW!!!
Ponce City Market: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGX-CYfSewI
Restoration continues. The main tower has finally been cleaned of all the green gunk. The pinnacle looks great! I also noticed part of the construction site has been breached by the public and some are using it as a cut through from Glen Iris to Ponce. Not safe people!

755 North Apartmentshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTH73K-0ayg
Crews are up to the 5th floor of the 1st building. The complex backs right up to the Eastside Beltline Trail. On this particular day the trail was PACKED. I saw 100+ people pass me and I was only on the trail 20 mins. ATL needs more trails ASAP

AMLI Ponce Parkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJFPZnvLbY
This is turing out to be an interesting, architecturally speaking, development. The balconies on each of the 5 floors offer a visually appealing break to the continuity of the surrounding buildings. Park front views should be pretty nice.

BOHO 4Whttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwL2Kqk144Y
It looks like Building 1 is open and already has a few residents. The other buildings are still taking shape. I can confirm that BOHO 4W will also front Glen Iris.

Norfolk Southern Train with Skyline night viewhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXTHd13I8S4
If you've ever been to the Amtrak Station, you may have seen this view of the skyline. 

Snowy Chaos in Roswellhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuiXiZzSlw & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqA0uEBGWc
Old Yeller wanted to go for a ride in the snowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-fXni7hVw

Development coming to the King Memorial MARTA Station. 

MARTA has picked a developer to develop a parcel owned by the transit authority next to the King Memorial MARTA Station. 

marta-king-apaprtments*304.png

Walton Communities plans 386 apartments and 13,000-square feet of retail on about four acres next to King Memorial on Decatur Street, near Georgia State University, Oakland Cemetery and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic site.

Finally we are now seeing MARTA take advantage of the countless acres of prime real estate owned by the transit agency. This has been long over due. This is exactly what that location needs. This is also a great way to increase ridership. 

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2014/02/walton-communities-to-develop-king.html

I was envisioning something higher at that site, but this is definitely in the spirit of what I was hoping to see. This is the type of TOD that should have been built at these stations at the start; this is one of the most notable differences between what METRO has done for metro DC and what MARTA has (or hasn't) done for metro Atlanta.

• 3 weeks later...

Let the adaptive reuses begin.....

222 Mitchell Street is slated to be converted to 240 apartments.

e11083f6bc244ddeab94e8906f68bada.jpg

This is great news because this location is actually just south of Five Points in what some refer to as South Downtown. The area has been largely overlooked but has great potential for a vibrant midrise community. Especially for those who like that trendy loft look. I will post more information as information becomes available. 

Description: 

222 Mitchell Street is a mixed-use condominium conversion in Downtown Atlanta' s Railroad District. Unique commercial spaces include a former retail bank lobby with original 1940s terrazzo floors and a historic bank vault. This 14,000 square foot space includes a mezzanine level, and is great for a large-scale restaurant with a creative concept, but can also be subdivided or used for creative office space. It can also be expanded to up to approximately 18,500.

Street fronting retail spaces also include units from 881 square feet to 4,412 square feet. 5,800 square feet of all new construction office space with great visibility is also available.

All spaces feature strong parking ratios and prime street frontage.

The Railroad District is close to the Castleberry Hill district, Centennial Park, Philips Arena, and the Georgia Dome, as well as within walking distance of 40,000 daytime workers in state, county, municipal, and federal offices. Two MARTA stations are within a five minute walk, and future transportation initiatives nearby include the Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal and the Peachtree Street Streetcar.

The Railroad District is shaping up to be Atlanta' s next urban hotspot. Over $200 million worth of development has already been announced, with more in the planning stages. The Railroad District offers unique and affordable space, close to all of Downtown' s attractions, in an authentic and unbeatable historic setting.

Edited by Lady Celeste
  • Like 2

Yet another adaptive reuse post....

This development news is brought to us by Terminus, an Atlanta resident who post on numerous development sites. It appears that Walgreens is going to turn one of Downtown's old buildings into a three story store. The basement level will be included in the store layout. This store will be bordered by Peachtree and Decatur Streets. It is also across from Woodruff Park. The project will be located in the historic Olympia Building. The building was built in 1935. In Atlanta terms, that is really old.It is right in the heart of Downtown, in the middle of Georgia State University's fast growing campus and steps from the Five Points MARTA station. In keeping with zoning restrictions, Walgreens has agreed not to put any shelves in front of the windows. Because of this agreement, you will be able to see into the store from all three sides.

This post is less about a retail announcement (although it is great to have a full service drug store in the heart of Downtown) and more about adaptive reuse. This type of historic preservation is beneficial because it maintains character and flavor in the Downtown District. Everything in the area will not be all new and glassy. This could really help make Downtown one of the most interesting and architecturally diverse Intown communities. I hope to see more adaptive reuses in the Downtown area moving forward.  

Here are renderings: 

12864812225_d3c528f5e1_o.jpg

12864812085_18e75dcf5b_o.jpg

Atlanta's oldest building could become a Startup Hub

4175743460_df22e65a78_o-thumb.jpg

Atlanta's Flatiron Building

Here is yet ANOTHER story of adaptive reuse in Downtown. Built in 1895, Atlanta's oldest remaining building could be refashioned into a tech incubator by the end of 2014. This building is also located on Peachtree Street and across from Woodruff Park. In the photo above, you can see the Walgreens proposal. It's the building with the Coca~Cola sign on top. See the post above for more information on that proposal.

Flatiron1*304.jpg?v=1

If you would like about the Flatiron proposal, read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2014/02/flatiron-building-could-be-redeveloped.html?page=all    

I'm loving all of this development news for downtown. While I can appreciate what's happening in other parts of the city, I'm really rooting for downtown in particular because it is one of the true historic, urban, big city cores in the Southeast and has a lot of bones still in place. People don't even know that this is true of a big chunk of downtown because it's underutilized. 

• Like 1

I'm loving all of this development news for downtown. While I can appreciate what's happening in other parts of the city, I'm really rooting for downtown in particular because it is one of the true historic, urban, big city cores in the Southeast and has a lot of bones still in place. People don't even know that this is true of a big chunk of downtown because it's underutilized. 

I definitely agree with your sentiments regarding Downtown Krazeeboi. Because the Downtown core is underutilized, many people's idea of what is urban "Atlanta" is a Buckhead or a Perimeter Center. Some will complain about the lack of walkability in Atlanta...yet you have a very walkable Downtown. And as you stated, this walkable core is quite substantial. With more residential being added Downtown, more retail and entertainment options will follow. Downtown reminds me of the Financial District in Manhattan in that it was one of the last sections of Manhattan to experience a residential boom. While the Financial District is not my cup of tea, it has really grown into a nice neighborhood. I can really see Downtown being a vibrant place. Especially if residential development moves south of Five Points.

Oftentimes I will say, "Buckhead is served by two MARTA stations" or "the Perimeter Center is served by four MARTA stations". Well the Downtown core is the only district that is served by both north/south and east/west connections. Once the Beltine is fully realized, the Downtown core will be encircled with transit as well. From the historic character of Downtown, to the vibrancy afforded by Georgia State, to the walkability and affordability, Downtown has a great deal going in its favor. Right now there is an unfair perception of Downtown...but in due time, and probably quicker than I would imagine, that will surely go away.    

Edited by Lady Celeste

Construction Photos!!!

These photos are from this morning...

Pictured below, in the foreground, is streetcar construction on Peachtree Street. The crane closest to Peachtree St is for the Georgia State Law Building currently under construction. The crane in the distance is for the recently topped out 112 Courtland student apartment building.  

IMG_20140304_123644_594_zps4f7fac6f.jpg Photo courtesy of AtlantaMustang at Skyscraperpage.com

Below we have a direct picture of construction activity at the Law Building for Georgia State University.

IMG_20140304_123919_819_zpsd770a5ff.jpg  Photo courtesy of AtlantaMustang at Skyscraperpage.com

Below we have a picture of renovation that is occurring at the Equitable Building. This photo shows construction of the new lobby that is part of the renovation. This will bring a venerable Atlanta landmark into the 21st century.

IMG_20140304_123736_090_zps8b915455.jpg

Photo courtesy of AtlantaMustang at Skyscraperpage.com

Put another check in the Win column for adaptive reuse AND historic preservation!

3913-04.jpg

The century old Imperial Hotel is reborn as The Commons at Imperial Hotel. Built in 1911, the building will have 90 units and ALL units are LEED Gold certified. That's really good considering the age of the building. My hats off to the developers for taking such care in insuring that this historic building soldiers into the future. 

3913-07.jpg

3913-06.jpg

Lady Celeste, do you have a source? I haven't been able to find anything on this. Very exciting if this does happen.

Franster87...my source is someone who works directly in the commercial real estate industry and he is usually right. He was right about the Olympia Building adaptive reuse (see post #362 above) as well as the re-cladding and conversion of 250 Piedmont from office to residential. The developer has yet to release any information to the public but as soon as it happens, I will be sure to post it. 

I agree that this would be very exciting if it goes through as planned. There are a great deal of old character structures in SoDo (South Downtown) that would make for great conversion opportunities. 

• 4 weeks later...

Could South Downtown be turning into an art community?

1396360901-20130923_111026.jpg

Storefronts at 80, 82, 84, 86, 88 and 90 Forsyth Street.

Brooklyn based artist Tatyana Fazlalilzadeh is in talks to turn these storefronts into Eyedrum Art and Music Gallery. Eyedrum is currently applying for grant money from Invest Atlanta to help repair the building's facade. This is great news for this part of Downtown. As commerce marched north, this part of Downtown was left behind. Oddly enough, some of Downtown's most interesting architectural gems are in this part of the district. In the last few years, several other independent artist and art organizations have set up shop in the area. Also this week, Mammal Gallery on Broad Street reached its Kickstarter goal for renovating its performance space in a nice old row building.

This is the type of energy this part of Downtown needs.     

Read more here: http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2014/04/01/tatyana-fazlalilzadeh-to-wheat-paste-what-may-be-the-new-eyedrum

Could South Downtown be turning into an art community?

1396360901-20130923_111026.jpg

Storefronts at 80, 82, 84, 86, 88 and 90 Forsyth Street.

Brooklyn based artist Tatyana Fazlalilzadeh is in talks to turn these storefronts into Eyedrum Art and Music Gallery. Eyedrum is currently applying for grant money from Invest Atlanta to help repair the building's facade. This is great news for this part of Downtown. As commerce marched north, this part of Downtown was left behind. Oddly enough, some of Downtown's most interesting architectural gems are in this part of the district. In the last few years, several other independent artist and art organizations have set up shop in the area. Also this week, Mammal Gallery on Broad Street reached its Kickstarter goal for renovating its performance space in a nice old row building.

This is the type of energy this part of Downtown needs.     

Read more here: http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/2014/04/01/tatyana-fazlalilzadeh-to-wheat-paste-what-may-be-the-new-eyedrum

I recently watched a lecture on urban revitalization and this is playing out exactly as the speaker says it almost always does.  The first wave is led by the risk-tolerant such as artists, the young, and  gays (his words, not mine).  It would be beyond amazing if south downtown can get some traction and start some serious revitalization.  When I look at whats happend at Caslteberry Hill and Edgewood Ave, I am very encouraged at the possiblility. 

I recently watched a lecture on urban revitalization and this is playing out exactly as the speaker says it almost always does.  The first wave is led by the risk-tolerant such as artists, the young, and  gays (his words, not mine).  It would be beyond amazing if south downtown can get some traction and start some serious revitalization.  When I look at whats happend at Caslteberry Hill and Edgewood Ave, I am very encouraged at the possiblility. 

Well from what I remember of the old Grant Park and Kirkwood, I would say that it was exactly these groups that gentrified and upgraded those communities to what they are today. If they can turn around South Downtown in the same vain while preserving most of the character of that area, then I support them 100%. If Mayor Reed can get some serious and concrete development options for the Turner Field parcel, I think that South Downtown will be in an amazing spot. 

No bueno!

Let us hope that Mayor Reed stays on track with his ideas for the soon to be vacated Turner Field. It's still more than two years out and developers are already licking their chops.

Georgia State University president eyes Turner Field

Georgia State University’s president says while it’s a little early to make plans or offers for the soon-to-be-vacated Turner Field, he sees a lot of potential there for his school.

"There's a lot of land out there," GSU's Dr.Mark Becker said in an interview with Atlanta Business Chronicle broadcast partner WXIA-TV. "You could do a variety of things. You could see housing developing. Grant Park is not that far away. You might see some retail potentially in that area."

GSU now has more than 32,000 students and has an immediate need for student housing, reports WXIA’s Doug Richards. Turner Field's 55 acres has abundant room for that, he adds.

No, no, no, no, no....this would be a missed opportunity for something really special for the city. While I am pleased with most of what Georgia State has been doing in and around its campus in the Downtown area, I feel this would not be the best use for this land. If Atlanta wants to increase its density, this prime piece of land should be developed as a mixed use development geared towards the middle class people. This could also be a great source of tax revenue. Sorry GA State...I give you a thumbs down.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/morning_call/2014/04/georgia-state-university-president-eyes-turner.html?iana=ind_cre