Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

• 1 month later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The scale of this project is perfect for this location. The addition of retail space is even better. It is directly across from The World of Coca~Cola and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights. It is also located a block north of Centennial Olympic Park as well as four blocks from either the MARTA Civic Center or Peachtree Center stations. Adding a potential 450+ people to this area could jumpstart even more retail once Allen Plaza is restarted. It's only a matter of time before a grocer moves to this area. This is a win for the area.

• 3 weeks later...

The 110 year old Candler Building will be reborn as a Hilton Curio Hotel. 

The Façade:

Atlanta_Candler_Building_2012_09_15_04_6

The entrance:

Atlanta_Candler_Building_2012_09_15_11_6

The Lobby:

candler.jpg?w=768

The building has stood as an office building for more than 100 years. It was once Atlanta's tallest steel skyscraper. Now the historic Downtown building will be reborn as The Candler Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton. This will be a new Hilton flag for the Atlanta market. The new hotel will have 265 rooms. This is great news. This part of Downtown has many historic gems. I am glad to see some quality adaptive reuse of this building. It will definitely add charm to Downtown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More adaptive reuse........

Downtown's Kiser Building to be reborn as apartments.

Kiser_20Building.0.JPG

Originally constructed as a shoe factory, the Kiser Building, located in South Downtown, will be repurposed into 40 apartments. Activity is picking up in the South Downtown market. Many more developers are taking notice so this will probably not be the last announcement of this type that we read about in the near future. The project is located two blocks from the Garnett Center MARTA Station The developer plans to restore many of the historic feature to the building. This will definitely add character and flair. It's developments like this that will give this neighborhood a sense of place. 

Read more here: http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/3/4/11159578/kiser-building-south-downtown-atlanta

Edited by Lady Celeste

Hot off the press.....

Georgia Power will be relocate 600 jobs from outlying location to their Downtown HQ building located at 133 Peachtree Street. The HQ building is located on top of the Peachtree Center MARTA Station. This is a boon for Downtown because the average salary for the 600 jobs is $100k/year, according to documents filed with Invest Atlanta.   

More news to follow......stay tuned.

• 3 months later...

Excellent!

I really like this rendition. If done as envisioned, the remaking of Underground Atlanta could be a major catalyst for urban living in the Five Points/SODO neighborhoods. The addition of a full service grocer will be a hit for the area. My only hope is that the future development remains sensitive to the current stock of historic buildings in the area. The extensive grid and the lack of "wide" streets or boulevards could potentially make this area a walker's paradise.    

I'm loving the Underground renderings. I really do long to see the day when downtown is an active, vibrant area around the clock with more amenities. I really think that would go a long way towards changing the perception of Atlanta in terms of urbanity as downtown is easily the most classically urban part of the city.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New project Downtown

120 Piedmont Ave - The developer and architect of 'Square on 5th' filed initial permits to develop a new student housing development, 650 student beds in 235 student housing units, planned for Fall 2017 school year.  Based on the lot, I think this will be a tower similar to SQ5. 

SouthCityPartners-SquareOnFifth-MainSH.j

• 1 month later...

Yet another proposal for Downtown.

The proposal is currently called International Plaza and will be a mixed use tower of retail, office and hotel. It is proposed to be 25 stories. There will be a rooftop lounge. This will make for a very interesting view. The location is at 202 Courtland Street NE. It looks as if Downtown is finally starting to get some of the amazing development that has been present in Midtown, Buckhead and Perimeter Center. 

ZCIe8JD.jpg

LTbE6og.jpg

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19919277/202-Courtland-St-NE-Atlanta-GA/?linkcode=31060

• 3 weeks later...

The Mercedes Benz Stadium is larger than I was expecting. I'm pleased with the look so far.

Once complete, it will be just as attractive as the renderings. When the GA Dome is razed and replaced with the park space, it will make a great tie in between the new stadium and the Georgia World Congress Center. The proposed 800-1000 room hotel that will rise just to the north of the MB Stadium will have really nice easterly views from the upper floors. 

GSU plans $35 Mill Infectious Disease Research Center

unknown.jpg

Georgia State University is planning to construct a disease research center in downtown Atlanta. This will be the first of its kind in the southeast. Having a research center in the biomedical industry in the heart of downtown is pretty interesting. I wonder how this center will differ from the Center of Disease Control in the Emory area of Atlanta. Either way, having a greater biomedical presence in Atlanta can only be a win win for the region. Georgia State University is to Downtown what GA Tech is to Midtown. Hopefully the new additions will add to Atlanta's growing influence as a world knowledge center.

GSU proposed research center.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...