Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Anyone know what the status of the Aquarius Tower is?

I've heard that they're a few percentage points away from having enough presales to secure financing. At last report they were at 45% sold which is pretty amazing considering how little advertising they've done and how little has been written about it.

Edited by Martinman

According to atlantadowntown.com , the Atlanta Market Center is going to expand again, what I don't know since you have the Merchandise Mart, Gift Mart, Apparel Mart, and Inforum. Has anyone heard anything about this??

Its been under construction for several months... site of the old greyhound station on International...

kboy - it's been closed for over 6 years! :)

Wow. That lets you know I don't spend much of any time in downtown when I visit. I visited Planet Hollywood in the summer of '97 or '98 in conjunction with a summer program I was a part of, and never really thought about eating there on any of my subsequent visits.

Now I DO know that Hard Rock is still there--I'm right about that, aren't I? :huh:

Wow. That lets you know I don't spend much of any time in downtown when I visit. I visited Planet Hollywood in the summer of '97 or '98 in conjunction with a summer program I was a part of, and never really thought about eating there on any of my subsequent visits.

Now I DO know that Hard Rock is still there--I'm right about that, aren't I? :huh:

Haha yes you're right about that, though I think the food quality has gone downhill IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm flipping through the latest Sports Illustrated and I see a picture of Petco Park in Milwaukee and in the background over the wall in the outfield you can see multiple skyrise developments going on that looks like it will be really nice when completed.

Does anyone have any insight to any developments that might be in the works or any discussions that have been taking place about redeveloping the Turner Field area? It's a beautiful ballpark in a - last time I was there which was 2 years ago - neighborhood. I know that much of the housing, especially around the stadium, was getting better over the last couple of years, but there was never any real restaurant/bars/shopping/hotels in that area. Couldn't that be a prime location for such?

The ideal situation would be to have a few 10/20/30 story buildings go up south of 20 to enhance the skyline view from behind first base, but I'll take some tailgating life first.

I think it would be great if some 10/20/30 story buildings were added south of I-20. I could never figure out why the Central Business District didn't expand south of I-20. The only 10+ I know of is the Holiday Inn on Capitol and a few Bldgs close to the stadium. There are decent sized parcels of land down Hank Aaron, University Ave, and along McDonough that could be used w/o interrupting communities. Mechanicsville and Pittsburg are a bit too residential for a 10/20/30. Good idea though...

As far as development in the neighborhoods surrounding Turner Field... Pittsburg just became a historic district (but is far from paradise), Mechanicsville is coming along way better, Peoplestown (between Grant Park and TF) is coming along, and Summerhill where the stadium is located is in full swing especially w/ the redevelopment of Capital Homes.

This update has been brought to you by the Turner Field communities where "Real Braves fans can walk." Now back to you Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

$320M bet on downtown -Business Chronicle

Atlanta developer Egbert Perry plans $320 million in new residential, office and retail redevelopment in an eight-block area bounded by Edgewood Avenue, Courtland Street, Andrew Young International Boulevard and the Downtown Connector.

Renaissance Walk at Sweet Auburn, a 160-unit condo project, is included in the eight block development. Renaissance Walk will also have 30,000 square feet of street-level retail space and will be completed this fall.

sweetauburnxe9.png

Edited by Martinman

I was in Atlanta this past weekend, and had the pleasure of venturing down to the Glenwood Park development. Had no idea it existed, and I was impressed. I think it works very well given its context.

Don't know how you could have missed it as much as its been discussed but speaking of which, it was featured in an ABC news story on green building.

"Green Building" video

• 2 weeks later...

Cushman and Wakefield moves to Allen Plaza

"Barry CEO Chris Schoen predicted the momentum will continue as new amenities debut and noted his firm is close to announcing a "signature" restaurant for the W, and is working to land a supermarket for the third office building at Allen Plaza -- 24 Allen Plaza. The building is about eight months to a year from breaking ground, Schoen said.

Publix Super Markets Inc. has expressed interest in the site, according to papers filed with the Atlanta Development Authority. "

Also the hotel brand at the Post Allen Plaza development will be an Aloft.

Edited by Martinman

Cushman and Wakefield moves to Allen Plaza

Also the hotel brand at the Post Allen Plaza development will be an Aloft.

aloft is W's new select-service concept (similar to Hilton Garden Inn for Hilton and Courtyard for Marriott). There is another aloft planned for Old Milton Parkway and GA 400 in Alpharetta.

aloft is W's new select-service concept (similar to Hilton Garden Inn for Hilton and Courtyard for Marriott). There is another aloft planned for Old Milton Parkway and GA 400 in Alpharetta.

Or as a Starwood employee jokingly calls it... "a Holiday Inn with style".

Edited by Martinman

The Downtown neighborhood association recently held a meeting hosted by Barry in which they discussed the buildout of Allen Plaza. Here's a bit of info and a couple of pics from that meeting.

-They are are still working with a few potential anchor tenants for 50 AP.

-Simpson street (two blocks south of Ivan Allen) will be the neighborhood gathering place with two rows of trees and lots of retail. Its also where the grocery store is planned. By the way, I saw a rendering of the street-level for the next building (24 Allen Plaza) which looked fantastic. Hope it turns out that nice.

16 Allen Plaza (Post apts/ Aloft hotel)

new16allenplazafromsimprd3.jpg

new16allenplazafromcentqv8.jpg

-The large, tiered building near Suntrust was a model they made for a luxury hotel that was looking at the site. They say that two other hotel operators are also interested in the site. The green building is the old design for Post AP.

lookingsouthfromabovecejl0.jpg

Edited by Martinman