Downtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

I think the urban infrastructure you mentioned is the reason land costs remain high in the CBD. All the more reason why more development should be focused there.

Land costs are high in downtown's prime commercial areas but certainly not out of line with what they are in midtown or Buckhead. I'm strongly in favor of more development downtown, but I have reservations about using millions in school taxes to fund glitzy developments like Allen Plaza. The developers aren't doing that as a charity case for some downtrodden and neglected neighborhood. That's tall cotton and it always has been. Land prices are high there because developers and owners know it's an highly sought after and profitable location.

^^ I completely agree that it is prime real estate, its the highly sought after part that I question.

Maria Saporta's recent column was on plans for the old Macy's building.

A group called the Davison's Downtown LLC will spend $14 million to revitalize the bottom three floors.

They see it as a multi-tenant development that will feature a host of stores, a food market and several nice restaurants.

The group already has secured financing, and if everything goes according to plan, they hope to be open for business before the 2009 holiday season.

Investor group envisions thriving Macy's building

Edited by Martinman

The Business Chronicle is reporting that the real estate community is abuzz over a possible HQ or major regional office relocation to Atlanta. A secret company is said to be looking for at least 200,000 SF. These types of relocations typically wind up in the suburbs but the article also reports that there are several big intown office leases in the making such as Suntrust needing 350,000 SF Downtown, the NRC seeking 100,000 SF Downtown and Kilpatrick Stockton is in the early stages of its search for 255,000 SF in either Midtown or Downtown.

Edited by Martinman

The Business Chronicle is reporting that the real estate community is abuzz over a possible HQ or major regional office relocation to Atlanta. A secret company is said to be looking for at least 200,000 SF. These types of relocations typically wind up in the suburbs but the article also reports that there are several big intown office leases in the making such as Suntrust needing 350,000 SF Downtown, the NRC seeking 100,000 SF Downtown and Kilpatrick Stockton is in the early stages of its search for 255,000 SF in either Midtown or Downtown.

I have also heard grumblings of a potential new corporate presence in Atlanta. This company is no slouch and everyone has heard of it...well it's actually to be a "new" company of two merged, well-known comanies. If, this is the same company. I would have thought them to land in the suburbs but you never knooooooow. From what I have heard, Atlanta could be home to two beverage giants. To have them downtown and within view of Coca~Cola would be quite interesting. If this said company does decide on Atlanta...and there are other forminable cities under consideration...the 50 Allen Plaza would be a perfect building. More than 350,000 cars pass the site every day. Imagine a big......oops, I almost said the companies name....symbol anchored high on 50 Allen Plaza. All that free advertising for people passing through Atlanta on their way to Florida and points in between.

If this is not one in the same, then Atlanta could be getting two new companies. Also let us not forget AT&T. The former CEO is the person who kept AT&T in San Antonio. The new CEO is not so dedicated. Also, one of the gripes with the higher ups at AT&T is airport access. San Antonio lacks a large amount of access and Atlanta assails in this category.....oh well, all the possibilities. It's all conjecture so please don't quote me.

It's no secret that the about-to-merge Miller Brewing and Coors are considering Atlanta as its new headquarters. My understanding, however, is that Chicago and Dallas are probably the front-runners.

This downtown tornado was unbelivable. I feel really bad about the 20 or so homes destroyed in Cabbagetown and the huge amount of damage to the Cotton Mill Lofts. That is such a neat area and I hate to see it damaged, along with other parts of downtown like Centennial.

Thank God there were only minor injuries.

Edited by perimeter285

• 2 weeks later...

National health museum might call Atlanta home

By BY CRAIG SCHNEIDER [email protected]

Published on: 03/26/08

Atlanta may be the site of a national health museum, according to officials in discussions with the governor's office and the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce.

Dr. Louis Sullivan, the Atlanta resident and former U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, is leading the effort to establish a museum dedicated to celebrating great achievements in health care and inspiring the next generation of health professionals.

"We're talking to officials here in Georgia

Thanks for posting the article Micthella.

I think a national museum such as this would be great for the city. It would put national focus on our burgeoning tourist industry while creating an educational venue for area school children. The educational factor alone helps me give this potential venture the thumbs up. I really hope it lands someone downtown near Centennial Olympic Park. This, along with the Civil Right's Museum, the Georgia Aquarium, The Children's Museum, the World of Coca~Cola, The CNN Center and Centennial Olympic Park would make this a family's vacation tour de force.

quote from AJC

Although no area has been determined for the museum as of yet I could see downtown or midtown as the best areas for this development if Atlanta is selected as the site. Preferablly a area near the Aquarium or possibly the site where the National Nascar musuem was proposed to go.

Maybe we could put it at Grady and use the extra money to keep that place open. :huh:

I think that there is definitely a good reason for a National Health Museum to call Atlanta home. A national museum of any sort would certainly help bring in extra touristy money. I agree with Lady Celeste that it would make a great addition to the Centennial Olympic Park area.

On a side note, mitchella, do you have a link to this article?

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown news

-Add another restaurant to the Downtown dining boom. A chain called Panchero's Mexican Grill has signed on at Twelve next to Mellow Mushroom.

-Rumors are swirling that Downtown has in fact landed a corporate relocation of some kind.

-Another perhaps related rumor is that Barry has signed tenant(s) sufficient to get the next office tower started at Allen Plaza. I'm guessing it will be 24 rather than 50. In fact there was an Allen Plaza add in the Business Chronicle that included a rendering of 24 for the first time. Hopefully the (much needed) new Alen Plaza website will be up soon.

-From the HGI website is this picture of the view from their Skybar which will open later this year.

Edited by Martinman

Downtown news

-From the HGI website is this picture of the view from their Skybar which will open later this year.

Just imagine that skyline view with 50 AP in it. Even if it doesn't break ground in '08 or '09, I do hope it eventually gets built. The DT area really needs that 1 more 40+ tower.

Just imagine that skyline view with 50 AP in it. Even if it doesn't break ground in '08 or '09, I do hope it eventually gets built. The DT area really needs that 1 more 40+ tower.

Those lots bordering the park are the ones I would most like to see get developed and would also dramatically change this view. Its good that there is a mixed use project planned for at least one them.

-GSU football

Georgia State has now officially started a football program and will field their first team in 2010. This is good for Downtown as GSU continues to evolve into a traditional college campus.

-Pencil Factory Lofts is a downtown project that I don't think has been mentioned here. It will be 188 housing units and 30,000 sf of retail.

p-apt-lg-penclrender.jpg

-Westide TAD

The city council is set to vote on $61 million in bonds for 13 projects in the Westside TAD. All told the projects include four hotels, about 1,800 new apartments and condominiums, nearly 1 million square feet of office and retail space and a full-size Publix.

Some of the projects...

24 Allen Plaza

350,000 sf office, Publix

Centennial Vista

418 apartments

Hard Rock Hotel

Post Park at Allen Plaza / Aloft Hotel

463 apartments

Edited by Martinman

Downtown news

-Rumors are swirling that Downtown has in fact landed a corporate relocation of some kind.

I heard that they were flying big time on April the 1st by fellow UrbanPlaneteer willrusso, who also posted the same thing on 4 other forums-cute!! :D

Edited by kennethdisraili