Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Please use this thread for any news or discussion about any urban developments or projects proposed or going up in Atlanta's Midtown District.

Please note that this is a discussion thread for urban developments and projects of all sorts, not just skyscrapers. Information about skyscrapers is by all means welcome because they are a part of an urban environment, but they are not the only part of an urban environment.

Well there's no better way to kick off the Midtown thread than this link to the Midtown Alliance development rundown

which includes the Mandaring Oriental rendering

1138_Peachtree.jpg

Mandarin Oriental Hotel

1138 Peachtree St. (between the 1100 Peachtree building and the Atlanta Women's Club)

From the preliminary DRC meeting:

Floor Count: 54

Height: ~700 ft

Hotel: 190 rooms

Residences: 67

Parking: 6 levels

Spa: 3 floors (20 floors up)

Hospitality: ballrooms, conference areas

Retail: 10,300 sf

Edited by Martinman

Has there been any new on when they might get started???

BTW, great job IC on the updated threads!!!

According to the report, in early '08.

The people in Oakwood tower are about to completely lose their Midtown/Downtown view with the placement of Trump.

Still not quite sure what I think about the design.

Other than the curvature of the building, there's really not much interesting about the design.

Btw, according to Business Chronicle there's a strong possibility that the winner of this seasons "Apprentice" will be assigned to this project.

Edited by Martinman

Well, I found this little piece of news just now...

Trump Towers to Break Ground in ATL

The man made famous for firing people may be changing his name in Metro Atlanta. The Donald will begin construction for his new Midtown Atlanta condos next month.

As the article notes, and some of you probably know this already, the building will cost $300 million to build. Prices for the 563 condos will run from $400,000 to 1.3 million (that's some high class livin' :shades: ). It is expected to be completed in 2009.

I look forward to seeing it go up.

I have become gradually less and less impressed by the Trump branded, Woods project. It could easily be a landmark complex, but instead will be lost eventually in Midtown. Hopefully within the next 5-10 years Trump will do something himself and produce something at least the caliber of the Mandarin.

Edited by austin356

Mandarin better not have a glass wall facing Crescent. There better be something good there.

+1

Hopefully the "Blueprint" handles what they can do with this side of the building. I'm sure if they had their way, it would be the entrance to the garage, but I don't think Crescent can be used as an alley-way.

Novare had this same issue with the original ViewPoint plans which had the only entrance to the garage on Juniper.

Edited by pksiv

• 2 weeks later...

You guys might want to check this out:

http://www.viewpointmidtownmile.com/

Pretty awesome. :shades:

That video appears to shows what we've been hoping happens along the Midtown mile which is that the developers will allow the individual retailers to design the look of the individual spaces. This is one thing Atlantic Station got right and it would make the streetscape a lot more interesting.

And speaking of retail....

Retail Makeover Planned for 999 Peachtree

Our plan will transform the building's fa
Edited by Martinman

That video appears to shows what we've been hoping happens along the Midtown mile which is that the developers will allow the individual retailers to design the look of the individual spaces. This is one thing Atlantic Station got right and it would make the streetscape a lot more interesting.

And speaking of retail....

Retail Makeover Planned for 999 Peachtree

The #1 thing they need to do with 999 Peachtree is figure out a way to let people know you can park in the building. When the Grape was in that space you could park for free, at least for a couple of hours, and nobody I talked to knew about it. They always complained about parking.

Updates

Emory University is planning a 300,000-square-foot to 500,000-square-foot clinical and research building at its Midtown campus. link

1231 W. Peachtree St-A developer is planning a hotel at this site across W. Peachtree street from the Trump towers. It's rumored to be a 20-story Hilton.

Luxe has installed its crane. There's also a new rendering of the project.

Onyx is on hold due to permit issues.

Hotel Palomar is still excavating the site.

And I love this idea :good:

Woodruff CEO wants to develop land over MARTA station - AJC

The Woodruff Arts Center is taking steps toward possibly moving the new Symphony Center to a new site: over the MARTA station directly behind the arts center.
Edited by Martinman