Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Tall, timeless and beautiful.

Wait, this is not about me. <_<

Seriously, this building is beautiful and I am glad that it seems to be quietly moving forward. It is iconic in nature and sure to be as much of a hit for Midtown as 1180 Peachtree and One Atlantic Center. At 720' is will also make it's mark on the skyline. I also adds much needed density to a growing part of Midtown.

You know in a way it looks very masculine to me, so how about tall, timeless and handsome!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Did Luxe ever start ? It looks like a great project but the website seems a little dated given the last press update was almost a year ago.

I'm also curious about the status of Trump's project. I had heard it was going to be two residential towers but that sales and financing were slow so they replaced one of the residential towers with a hotel but the hotel talk was just what I heard from bankers and architects. Anybody know anything more official that they can share ?

Edited by hotshoe

Did Luxe ever start ? It looks like a great project but the website seems a little dated given the last press update was almost a year ago.

I'm also curious about the status of Trump's project. I had heard it was going to be two residential towers but that sales and financing were slow so they replaced one of the residential towers with a hotel but the hotel talk was just what I heard from bankers and architects. Anybody know anything more official that they can share ?

Luxe recently had its topping out celebration.

I don't know anything about the Trump project.

Their sales center in Lenox Mall is still open with all the renderings showing 2 towers. I don't usually see a crowd gathered around the sales center, but the fact that it's there suggests they still plan on moving forward with the project.

Spring Street side of Midtown - around Midtown Marta - often seems to be under the radar. The Cheetah, the old Coke property around 8th, etc.

Anyone have an idea on what new development may be there next year or two...or three to five?

Don't know about new dev, but I drove up W. Peachtree today and as Martinman said, Palomar is coming along nicely and I noticed the Plaza retail looks 100% leased and open.

Does anyone know what may be planned for the street level space in Aqua?

Don't know about new dev, but I drove up W. Peachtree today and as Martinman said, Palomar is coming along nicely and I noticed the Plaza retail looks 100% leased and open.

Does anyone know what may be planned for the street level space in Aqua?

I think there is one small space on 9th street thats unoccupied but its nice to see how full the retail is there. There are two that aren't open yet: Athletes Foot and a new mediterranean dance, restaurant (thats what the sign says :dontknow:). I like the way they customized the look of their storefront. It adds some character to an otherwise bland street level.

Edited by Martinman

I think there is one small space on 9th street thats unoccupied but its nice to see how full the retail is there. Athletes Foot and a new mediterranean dance restaurant aren't open yet (thats what the sign says :dontknow: ). I like the way they changed the look of their storefront. It adds some character to an otherwise bland street level.

There are two free standing buildings for lease diagonally across from Hotel Palomar. West Peachtree & 7th St corner Joinus Cleaners building (soon to relocate) and the next door former Acapulco restuarant site ( long ago "A Taste of New Orleans" restaurant is also available - evidenced by recently placed broker sign.

If anyone has ideas on what retail would work best there, I hope you'll openly share those thoughts. I think retail clothing store opening in Mid City Lofts ground floor.

Any truth to word that residential development may go on Academy of Medicine Building parking lot?

Palomar sure is looking good !

There are two free standing buildings for lease diagonally across from Hotel Palomar. West Peachtree & 7th St corner Joinus Cleaners building (soon to relocate) and the next door former Acapulco restuarant site ( long ago "A Taste of New Orleans" restaurant is also available - evidenced by recently placed broker sign.

If anyone has ideas on what retail would work best there, I hope you'll openly share those thoughts. I think retail clothing store opening in Mid City Lofts ground floor.

Any truth to word that residential development may go on Academy of Medicine Building parking lot?

Palomar sure is looking good !

That Acapulco restaurant site has been several restaurants over the years and they never work. That area is still too much of a through street most of the time. I honestly don't see much working in the Cleaning site either at the moment.

Unlike the area around 14th Street/Colony Square, the immediate area has a very small workforce, which limits lunchtime patrons, and there are more than enough quality dining/drinking establishments in the area for the locals at night and on weekends. Retail I think will need to be focused on Peachtree until significant residential additions come online or the "Midtown Mile" is more of a reality and Midtown becomes a shopping destination.

That Acapulco restaurant site has been several restaurants over the years and they never work. That area is still too much of a through street most of the time. I honestly don't see much working in the Cleaning site either at the moment.

Unlike the area around 14th Street/Colony Square, the immediate area has a very small workforce, which limits lunchtime patrons, and there are more than enough quality dining/drinking establishments in the area for the locals at night and on weekends. Retail I think will need to be focused on Peachtree until significant residential additions come online or the "Midtown Mile" is more of a reality and Midtown becomes a shopping destination.

I think it just depends on the individual business. In the same area Ecco is very popular, Marlows always has a nice crowd, Thread House seems to be doing well and Publix is pretty much bustling in the afternoons. Theres a good bit of retail not on Peachtree that is thriving.

Edited by Martinman

Pretty sure you could get something to work there. When Acapulco died, Plaza and Aqua had not opened yet, so residential density wasn't great there. Business wise, law firm Drew, Eckel, Farnham is just across the street, AGL is a block away in TPP, RBC Centura and all that GATech stuff is a couple of blocks away (albeit with plenty of competition there) and AT&T is only a couple of blocks as well. A decent concept with aggressive marketing to those businesses; Plaza Midtown, Spire, Mid-City Lofts, Biltmore and Aqua condos and Post Biltmore apartments; and to the concierges for Palomar and GT Hotel, should be able to make a go of it.

FWIW, that Aculpulco property is apparently owned by an older couple and I think it's the only property they have; it could be ripe for someone interested in consolidating the three parcels in that block fronting W. Peachtree.

Pretty sure you could get something to work there. When Acapulco died, Plaza and Aqua had not opened yet, so residential density wasn't great there. Business wise, law firm Drew, Eckel, Farnham is just across the street, AGL is a block away in TPP, RBC Centura and all that GATech stuff is a couple of blocks away (albeit with plenty of competition there) and AT&T is only a couple of blocks as well. A decent concept with aggressive marketing to those businesses; Plaza Midtown, Spire, Mid-City Lofts, Biltmore and Aqua condos and Post Biltmore apartments; and to the concierges for Palomar and GT Hotel, should be able to make a go of it.

FWIW, that Aculpulco property is apparently owned by an older couple and I think it's the only property they have; it could be ripe for someone interested in consolidating the three parcels in that block fronting W. Peachtree.

I'd love for you both to be right but having lived in this neighborhood for several years, and seeing many restaurants close, my optimism isn't high. Of course that changes a lot once View Point is occupied and the Palomar is finished.

Places like Ecco, and the newer Cuerno and Beleza, are all great places but also benefit from being part of larger restaurant groups that provide an instant reputation. Same for Marlows being a known name in town. For the same reason I fully expect Taco Mac (Metropolis) to be an instant hit where Stool Pigeons failed. (Although I realize the latter had terrible management.)

Another thing that Marlow's has really exceeded at is marketing the free parking in the bldg. Something The Grape Midtown failed to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Tivoli recently hand-delivered 200 invitations which were enclosed in an actual seatbelt buckle.

It reads...

Fasten Your Seatbelts. 2/21/08

You have been selected as one of only 200 to be the first to hear the industry-shattering news that everyone else will be talking about the next day. This private but high-performance evening will be full of high-octane drinks, food and three pace-setting surprises.

Invitation only.

Hosted by Tivoli.

I'm little surprised that they would move forward with the Mandarin in this tough real-estate market but if I remember correctly, they do have the backing of some heavy hitters on this project such as John Williams. I wonder what are the three surprises? Hmmmmm.

Edited by Martinman

Tivoli recently hand-delivered 200 invitations which were enclosed in an actual seatbelt buckle.

It reads...

I'm little surprised that they would move forward with the Mandarin in this tough real-estate market but if I remember correctly, they do have the backing of some heavy hitters on this project such as John Williams. I wonder what are the three surprises? Hmmmmm.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this project and the "three pace setting surprises".

The Business Chronicle is reporting that the developers of Trump Towers Atlanta are considering making Phase II a hotel with a few condos. Mark Randall says that if they do a hotel, they could possibly build both phases at the same. Currently they are planning to start construction on Phase I in the spring. They mention that several hotel operators, such as Intercontinental and Ritz, are considering Midtown so I assume this wouldn't be a Trump branded hotel.

Edited by Martinman

It reads...

I don't think buyers are showing up any more to down "high octane" drinks prior to making $500k plus condo investments. That sounds so 2005.

I don't think buyers are showing up any more to down "high octane" drinks prior to making $500k plus condo investments. That sounds so 2005.

I doubt $500k will get you into this building. Besides it just an amped-up project announcement.

I've heard a lot of crazy rumors about this thing so I'm really curious to see whats real and what isn't.

Edited by Martinman

-Gulf Oil Building at Ponce and Juniper.

The AJC has a report on the planned mixed-use project on the site of what is believed to be I. M. Pei's first solo project. They plan to preserve part of the existing building, and have even contracted with Pei's firm, Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects, to help plan the complex.

The project is still in the planning stages but may include a boutique hotel and spa, a condo tower and a medical office tower. It has a working name of Fountain at Ponce and will be targetted at boomers.

Construction could begin in a year.

-W Midtown has a video but I wonder if they'll make that March 11th opening.

Edited by Martinman

I think it just depends on the individual business. In the same area Ecco is very popular, Marlows always has a nice crowd, Thread House seems to be doing well and Publix is pretty much bustling in the afternoons. Theres a good bit of retail not on Peachtree that is thriving.

Good points.

Check out the now open high end clothing store at Mid City Lofts.

Sounds like it's opening for business Feb 21 or 22.

http://aroundmidtown.com/?p=111

And the new AMORE Mediteranean restaurant at Plaza Midtown just opened for business.

With great street presence and a cool deck, the West Peachtree St "Acapulco Grille and Cantina" site just needs some TLC to be a successful business and fun Midtown hangout.

Hotel Palomar should help all West Peachtree Street businesses a lot come Spring 2009.

Good points.

Check out the now open high end clothing store at Mid City Lofts.

Sounds like it's opening for business Feb 21 or 22.

http://aroundmidtown.com/?p=111

And the new AMORE Mediteranean restaurant at Plaza Midtown just opened for business.

With great street presence and a cool deck, the West Peachtree St "Acapulco Grille and Cantina" site just needs some TLC to be a successful business and fun Midtown hangout.

Hotel Palomar should help all West Peachtree Street businesses a lot come Spring 2009.

Hi! My husband and I run the blog Around Midtown, and we posted an update on Drew Lewis last night. We attended the pre-opening party and were very impressed by the boutique. You can see pictures here: http://aroundmidtown.com/.

^^ Sounds like a great addition to the Midtown landscape. Cool site too!

Thanks! We try to keep up with the Midtown scene. If you ever want to know about anything related to midtown, Atlanta, or know of some interesting news, email us at [email protected].

E.A.

http://www.aroundmidtown.com

Edited by aroundmidtown